British Speedway Forum
scoobydoo

Panthers v Tigers 29/08/22

At least it got to heat ten, nice little earner for the two Promotions, not having to pay riders for five races, especially 13 and 15 which are the big  bucks races 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Taken from the Peterborough website this morning:

"There was a sufficient number of tyres at the venue in order to run the meeting; however, with the failures taking place with alarming frequency, it was not safe to run the final five races of the meeting, and there was full agreement over this point."

This is how I understood the announcement made over the PA

Taken from Sheffield website this morning 

"..the meeting was abandoned after ten races due to ‘an insufficient number of tyres to complete the meeting’"

"But at the end of the day rider safety is paramount and regardless of the number of tyres, it wasn’t safe to continue anyway"

• Haha 3

Hmm.  "BSPL Vice Chairmans club secure away win and place in play offs after meeting abandoned after heat 10 due to tyre fiasco"

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You would have question why this doesn’t happen every meeting then.

When the Anlas was first introduced this issue was happening a lot, certain tracks got given the benefit of allowing extra tyres to be used. The rest of the issues with the early batches were countered by running higher tyres pressures, then the compound changed (with no announcement) and everyone reverted to running lower tyre pressures again. If the storage or rotation of stock has been poor at any level of the supply chain the tyres being used could have easily been of the earlier compound.

Lets not forget that the manufacturer change was brought in and mandated rather than allow choice from the hologamated brands list to "reduce cost" (the Anlas costing £7-8 per tyre more than a Mitas and requiring more tyres per meeting!). Lets not forget that those changes were also brought to you by the people who introduced and blew money on the Gerhard fiasco, who still insist on topping up Briggo's retirement pot with one brand of allowed dirt deflector......does anyone genuinely think there will be any meaningful and considered change soon?

• Like 6

12 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

It won’t happen because there is no discipline in the mechanical side of the sport, the riders rule the sport, until that changes nothing changes  

100% agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

You would have question why this doesn’t happen every meeting then.

Yes indeed you would need to. And it probably doesn't require much by way of additional factor/s to tip the balance over the edge with these type of occurrences. 

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

Taken from Sheffield website this morning 

"..the meeting was abandoned after ten races due to ‘an insufficient number of tyres to complete the meeting’"

"But at the end of the day rider safety is paramount and regardless of the number of tyres, it wasn’t safe to continue anyway"

"To you"...

"To me"...

"To me"...

"To you"....

Etc. Etc. Etc. 

Barry and Paul were/are Rotherham boys too, so not far away..

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I have in my workshop a short stroke GM with 93mm piston, I can’t imagine how hard that would be to ride in a British track but clearly someone did, thing is there are ex riders out there who speak up about engines but get shot down by the current riders, saying things like “you can’t stop progress” but it isn’t progress , the sport is paying more to stand still or even go backwards, there could well of been a faulty batch of tyres yesterday but the tyre problem has been around for years but we plod on putting a plaster over gapping wounds, it breaks my heart what this sport has become and it has become unnecessarily 

I understand the principles but having only ever ridden a speedway bike very badly and spannered for my son at amateur level using Jawa long stroke engines I can't speak with any authority, so in your opinion would a rider on a long stroke engine have been competitive or even gained an advantage in this meeting at Peterborough? Would the high revving engines advantage have been negated by a prematurely degraded tyre?

It does seem a crazy situation on the face of it to spend so much money if no real advantage is gained so is it simply that no one wants to go against the status quo?

18 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I understand the principles but having only ever ridden a speedway bike very badly and spannered for my son at amateur level using Jawa long stroke engines I can't speak with any authority, so in your opinion would a rider on a long stroke engine have been competitive or even gained an advantage in this meeting at Peterborough? Would the high revving engines advantage have been negated by a prematurely degraded tyre?

It does seem a crazy situation on the face of it to spend so much money if no real advantage is gained so is it simply that no one wants to go against the status quo?

Speedway was perfectly good at Peterborough in the upright or even the early laydown days when revs were a lot less, long stroke engines are more forgiving (especially when the track is rough)and have more usable power than a short stroke but it isn’t necessarily about the stroke of the engine or the angle it’s at,  it’s the revolutions of the rear wheel, it is around 30mph+  quicker than the speed of the bike,to slow the back wheel down doesn’t mean to slow the bike, I think if they limited the engines to 10,000 revs max maybe they would revert to longstroke’s but I’m sure they could get a short stroke to work better at lowers revs, a slower spinning wheel mean less tyre wear, less damage to tracks, less engine wear, by its nature the engine would be quieter so we could do away with the current silencer which has restricted the power band even more than before, but none of this will happen because riders will tell you no and they rule the sport, when you see a MotoGP rider or F1 driver do a burn out that is what speedway is doing for 60 seconds every race and doing it a up to 70mph 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

All spend thousands on kit and tuning at the behest of the promoters, so have to earn thousands from those promoters to cover the outlay..

And all this is done to try and win competitions rendered pretty much irrelevant by the rules and regs implemented by the very same promoters..

Work that one out...:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Peterboro track being oval shape and flat, does it exert stress on these tyres which take them beyond their tested limits, so maybe should not be used there and instead provide Mitas tyres ?

It does. As I said earlier, at Peterborough you can be spinning for almost the whole lap - it's a full throttle circuit and it's shape/banking make that essential. I've used tyres with more wear on than Basso's had (Barum and Mitas) and they didn't puncture. His only got a hole like that on bend 3 because he was riding it flat having punctured on bends 1 and 2. They are clearly not up to the job in hand. If they continue to have to use Anlas then they need 2 new tyres each for each meeting at Peterborough as a minimum. 

The engine issue will not be solved whilst Poland rule the roost. Does anyone else recognise that we seem to be having more injuries now than ever, even with air fences and a lot happen in Poland. The violent lifting should simply not be happening but it needs the FIM to take charge over these machines.

Already we have tracks having to be bald/slick otherwise riders can't cope. Watching speedway from years ago there were some really rough and bumpy tracks but they got on with it and coped OK and still raced each other. It's the cart driving the horse. Shame. 

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Speedway was perfectly good at Peterborough in the upright or even the early laydown days when revs were a lot less, long stroke engines are more forgiving (especially when the track is rough)and have more usable power than a short stroke but it isn’t necessarily about the stroke of the engine or the angle it’s at,  it’s the revolutions of the rear wheel, it is around 30mph+  quicker than the speed of the bike,to slow the back wheel down doesn’t mean to slow the bike, I think if they limited the engines to 10,000 revs max maybe they would revert to longstroke’s but I’m sure they could get a short stroke to work better at lowers revs, a slower spinning wheel mean less tyre wear, less damage to tracks, less engine wear, by its nature the engine would be quieter so we could do away with the current silencer which has restricted the power band even more than before, but none of this will happen because riders will tell you no and they rule the sport, when you see a MotoGP rider or F1 driver do a burn out that is what speedway is doing for 60 seconds every race and doing it a up to 70mph 

The trouble is Poland rules the roost and that's what they want? If they decide that the racing could be better than it currently is now then all good .....

Once you admit to needing more than one tyre per meeting at some tracks, you are admitting that the tyres are not fit for the purpose they were purchased for. 

It's a little known fact that for this year there have been "special compound tyres" available at the "troublesome tracks".  You couldn't make it up. This is supposed to be a sport with an homologated one tyre rule.

If rider safety is the number one priority, then either get rid of the one tyre rule or have a better tyre that will do exactly what the Mitas used to do. I would hate to think how many pictures there are running around the SCB offices of tyres like Basso's. I say that because I know there are a lot. an awful lot.

But no, they put out a bulls##t excuse like running out of tyres as the reason for the abandonment. I just think last night the balance tipped and someone in authority actually got scared of killing someone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trees said:

The trouble is Poland rules the roost and that's what they want? If they decide that the racing could be better than it currently is now then all good .....

Poland does rule the roost but to be fair poland also has its fair share of ex riders who see the need for change 

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

What has burning tyres on the track got to do with Glasgow?

It would make a change from burning straw ;)