British Speedway Forum
chrismorton

British speedway is a joke.

3 hours ago, Trees said:

You're right about older and long term fans, just look at the bloody moaning on here LOL Polish fans just love their teams and are proud of the riders who race for them, a TOTALLY different mind set to us!  Polish fans need nothing more than to roll up, fly their flags and banners, chant their riders' names and cheer their teams from start to finish. 

Poland are running aProfessional Sport in aProfessional manner.That’s the difference.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Trees said:

You're right about older and long term fans, just look at the bloody moaning on here LOL Polish fans just love their teams and are proud of the riders who race for them, a TOTALLY different mind set to us!  Polish fans need nothing more than to roll up, fly their flags and banners, chant their riders' names and cheer their teams from start to finish. 

I haven't been to one fixture this year to be honest I can't be bothered. However I am hoping to attend the home legs in the play offs in the hope that the sport can produce a decent spectacle/ atmosphere for the domestic show piece.

I am trying to convince my wife to come along for these. I have recently managed to get her to watch the Cardiff & Wraclaw GPs as well as the high lights of the wolves TV meeting.

On seeing the Cardiff GP her reaction was it's full of old people the Wolves TV meeting it was it's full of old people & it's crap.

The Wraclaw GP sold the idea of a GP weekend to her as she thought the spectacle was superb & it wasn't full of old people!!

So it looks like we'll be heading to Wraclaw next year if the have a GP & steering well clear of any UK speedway.

Demographic here I went years hardly missing a meeting I'm early 40s the wife is late 30s & never been.

11 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I have recently managed to get her to watch the Cardiff & Wraclaw GPs as well as the high lights of the wolves TV meeting.

This sounds like domestic abuse... you should be ashamed of yourself! :rofl:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Who would you have booked as a guest for two riders with comparatively low Green Sheet averages?  Apparently Carl Johnson was on the phone to any number of riders just to find someone who was available and prepared to ride. Not sure what Chapman has to do with it?

Not a bad score by the three remaining Panthers, when many were predicting KL could hit 60.

So Chapman and co have had no chance to make any changes throughout this season or replace injured riders or simply give us some club comms from time to time?...this was a contributing factor to the situation last night. This season has been a car crash and the management have done nothing about it other than say no riders are available..only for us to see all the other clubs including Lynn sign riders just to rub our noses in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Poland are running aProfessional Sport in aProfessional manner.That’s the difference.

Added to which the T V coverage is far superior to that broadcast by Eurosport. U.K. speedway should not be mentioned in the same breath as Polish speedway as the U.K. falls so far short in all that you mention. The sport in this country either needs ‘surgery’ of some sort or put it and the fans out of their misery by closing out the failed product and start all over with someone who has the vision to take it forward assuming you could find anyone not tarnished by the current set up.

2 hours ago, chrismorton said:

So Chapman and co have had no chance to make any changes throughout this season or replace injured riders or simply give us some club comms from time to time?...this was a contributing factor to the situation last night. This season has been a car crash and the management have done nothing about it other than say no riders are available..only for us to see all the other clubs including Lynn sign riders just to rub our noses in it.

I still don’t understand why you go on about Chapman. He’s not the promoter.

Perhaps there’s no money available to make changes - or enough space in the points limit, with falling averages.

They’ve remained faithful to riders who did them proud last season. Panthers fans were happy to rub everyone’s noses in it when Dads Army proved the critics wrong - now the team is having the season many expected in 2022, you’re blaming the same people who previously could do no wrong.

Edited by Roger Jacobs

That's a good idea..let's remain faithful to riders who are out injured..I don't know who makes decisions at Peterborough tbh because we never get a press release..just radio silence and it's just unprofessional and disrespectful to the fans.

Edited by chrismorton

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

I still don’t understand why you go on about Chapman. He’s not the promoter.

Perhaps there’s no money available to make changes - or enough space in the points limit, with falling averages.

They’ve remained faithful to riders who did them proud last season. Panthers fans were happy to rub everyone’s noses in it when Dads Army proved the critics wrong - now the team is having the season many expected in 2022, you’re blaming the same people who previously could do no wrong.

Nothing wrong with remaining loyal but there has too be a point where loyalty is over ridden and that point would of been a couple of months back when 5 of them were not producing half of what is expected. 

8 hours ago, Trees said:

Eat ya words m8, the Peterborough boys were on it!

Almost impossible to win a meeting with just three riders, even with RR and a TS available.

Any half decent guest for MPT would have seen Panthers in with a big chance of winning as well as a fairly healthy amount of visiting fans but pretty much everyone on the basis of what’s happened previously all season thought this would be a heavy drubbing but sometimes the sport throws up an unlikely result.

Just out of interest Theresa what was the crowd like.

British speedway cannot compete with Polish speedway. Here in Britain, speedway is competing with Football, Cricket, Rugby League/union, Ice Hockey to name just 6, all different sports after our support (and money). In Poland, speedway competes with Football and ???????. However I do feel the BSPA can and should do better, but it needs an profesional independent body to run it. Not the waste of space ones that do now.

19 hours ago, Trees said:

They also sell a TOTALLY different product to the fans that allows them to buy into it emotionally.. 

And that is fundamentally the most important thing you need to follow any team in a team sport...

Chalk and Cheese when you compare the two countries...

So much so, it is hardly worth being compared as being one and the same..

Always struck me the same as the BDO and the PDC in darts, same "sport", but were two World's apart...

And inevitably one went by the wayside whilst one prospered, ticking the boxes of its fan base's and viewers expectations.. 

Edited by mikebv

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

They also sell a TOTALLY different product to the fans that allows them to buy into it emotionally.. 

And that is fundamentally the most important thing you need to follow any team in a team sport...

Chalk and Cheese when you compare the two countries...

So much so, it is hardly worth being compared as being one and the same..

Always struck me the same as the BDO and the PDA in darts, same "sport", but were two World's apart...

And inevitably one went by the wayside whilst one prospered, ticking the boxes of its fan base's and viewers expectations.. 

No, basically the same, 7 riders racing for your team barring injury.  Polish fans respect the riders, put them on pedestals for what they do, some British "fans" have no respect for the skills of the riders, some of us take them for granted basically and can't see beyond riders "gardening" or meetings not finishing in an hour flat!  Poland don't provide their fans with anything more than their team and their track and a few flags on race night (I saw no evidence when I went to Gorzow anyhow) but we expect soooooo much more ........

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Almost impossible to win a meeting with just three riders, even with RR and a TS available.

Any half decent guest for MPT would have seen Panthers in with a big chance of winning as well as a fairly healthy amount of visiting fans but pretty much everyone on the basis of what’s happened previously all season thought this would be a heavy drubbing but sometimes the sport throws up an unlikely result.

Just out of interest Theresa what was the crowd like.

Pretty good but for obvious reasons not many Peterborough fans, bet ya wish ya had been, speedway is a crazy sport, anything can happen on the night ......

13 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It's still 14 blokes racing one another m8 ........ our product is more familiar for us fans, we can see in our pits during meetings, our riders don't have to be protected from away fans, they're interviewed during meetings, many clubs have press conferences with their fans after meetings etc etc.  Poland is ok, I'm glad I live in the UK though and have my local team to support :D