British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Tuesday 6th September - Playoff First Leg - Plymouth v Poole

I’m sure this will be a quiet thread! Fixture now confirmed. Weather forecast looks abysmal for the South and South West next week which won’t help.

No idea on the team or any guess for us Gladiators. Poole going to look for a guest for Worrall or operate R/R?

Unfortunately I feel this has come at the worst time with Hans now also out. Leaves just Morley, Complin and Coles currently fit and available. I’m sure other people will find this as a great cause of humour but as a Gladiator fan, I’ve found this season deeply frustrating with our injury issues. Personally speaking, I’d rather have our own riders to support than constantly changing guests every meeting but that was the hand we were dealt. It’s still been a great season for the club despite all the trials and tribulations. We shall kick on in 2023 I’m sure.

Poole should be too strong, probably over both legs. Hopefully we can get two big crowds for these meetings. 

Edited by jbell1995
  • Like 7

r/r would mean lawson could have 6rides(7 if plymouth take an early lead) thats tempting,cooks would be ok so r/r for me also keeps all the wages in the "family" Only risk for away leg first is if plymouth struggle to obtain strong guests and poole take a decent lead back to wimborne rd then it wouldbe a small crowd especially with weather uncertainty 

Edited by poole keith
spelling

So common sense was used and the first leg of the Playoff Quarter Final takes place on Tuesday at Plymouth. The delaying tactics trying to be used by Plymouth failed to impress the Management Committee  who stated that Plymouth Meeting with Glasgow could no wait and that the Playoffs, rightly, take precedence.

Poole are clearly concerned that Steve Worrall is injured and might not be fir to ride either meeting. Whether we go for a guest or R/R is open to debate. There is limited choice due to the playoff rules and I would just go with R/R. It weakens us but the options are Arnio, Flint, Batchelor, Sedgmen, (who I think has returned to Australia) Etheridge, Wells, (who has now retired)

Plymouth are without Eddie Kennett, who might have a late fitness test (joke) Barker, and Andersen, who is out with concussion. Harris and Nicholls guesting? Wouldn’t surprise me and will certainly make Plymouth a strong team.

Current forecast is for sunshine and a risk of light showers being blown through on a stiff breeze. No real risk of a rainoff.

For the return, I believe Scott Nicholls could guest for Steve Worrall with the extra 5% available.

Thoughts?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So common sense was used and the first leg of the Playoff Quarter Final takes place on Tuesday at Plymouth. The delaying tactics trying to be used by Plymouth failed to impress the Management Committee  who stated that Plymouth Meeting with Glasgow could no wait and that the Playoffs, rightly, take precedence.

Poole are clearly concerned that Steve Worrall is injured and might not be fir to ride either meeting. Whether we go for a guest or R/R is open to debate. There is limited choice due to the playoff rules and I would just go with R/R. It weakens us but the options are Arnio, Flint, Batchelor, Sedgmen, (who I think has returned to Australia) Etheridge, Wells, (who has now retired)

Plymouth are without Eddie Kennett, who might have a late fitness test (joke) Barker, and Andersen, who is out with concussion. Harris and Nicholls guesting? Wouldn’t surprise me and will certainly make Plymouth a strong team.

Current forecast is for sunshine and a risk of light showers being blown through on a stiff breeze. No real risk of a rainoff.

For the return, I believe Scott Nicholls could guest for Steve Worrall with the extra 5% available.

Thoughts?

•  

Chris Harris's September average is too high to guest for Plymouth or in place of Worrall.

Isn't there a rule that a rider cannot ride for both sides over the two legs? So Scott Nicholls can either ride for Plymouth on Tuesday or wait on a Steve Worrall fitness test for Wednesday as his average is too high for either to use away.

20 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thoughts?

•  

Sedgeman was at Sheffield last night and presumably will be in play offs. Doubt he'll be commuting from Australia :blink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poole keith said:

r/r would mean lawson could have 6rides(7 if plymouth take an early lead) thats tempting,cooks would be ok so r/r for me also keeps all the wages in the "family" Only risk for away leg first is if plymouth struggle to obtain strong guests and poole take a decent lead back to wimborne rd then it wouldbe a small crowd especially with weather uncertainty 

Doesn't matter if Plymouth get a lead - no T/S in two legged matches

• Like 2

Plymouth absolutely decimated by injuries and IMO they have no chance over two legs which is a great pity, would have been a great tie with full strength teams. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Plymouth absolutely decimated by injuries and IMO they have no chance over two legs which is a great pity, would have been a great tie with full strength teams. 

They win at full strength 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Full strength would include Kennett.

• Like 3

It’s just another further point for speedway that the board who run the show need to be independent.

is it the correct thing to move the meeting, as a Poole fan yes as a Plymouth fan no, that’s life and one was always going to be upset.

is it in all honesty is in the best interests of speedway having one team decimated by injuries made to ride ?! Of course it’s not. 

regardless of what people say Poole wanted it early so they could take advantage of plymouths injuries and losses who wouldn’t. 

plymouth wanted it later to give themselves a chance to run with the team they assembled and make it competitive and a good watch for fans of both clubs but also neutrals.

any speedway fan or someone with the interests of speedway above the interest of any team should have wanted this match to be ran at a later date to make it competitive. 

im sure Poole fans will argue but i don’t really see the argument IF you put speedways interest first and not Pooles interest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Full strength would include Kennett.

Full strength would have included Lawson but there we go hahaha.

full strength would have also included all the riders that we were rejected some very unfairly.

i assume then…..so you are at full strength regardless of anything you will 100% have a guest for worrall even if there is no one out there that would get as much points as R/R ?!

Plymouth still have a good chance with their little track. We got hammered there earlier this year. And Plymouth scraped a draw at Poole. 

So clearly Plymouth favourites to go through and it will take an almost impossible effort from Pirates to make it to the semis. Can they do it against all the odds?

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thoughts?

•  

A rider can not guest for both teams in a 2 leg meeting.

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Plymouth still have a good chance with their little track. We got hammered there earlier this year. And Plymouth scraped a draw at Poole. 

So clearly Plymouth favourites to go through and it will take an almost impossible effort from Pirates to make it to the semis. Can they do it against all the odds?

Haha if we had a full team I’d back Plymouth to win. With only 3 Plymouth riders and a lack of options to guest it’ll take a miracle 

35 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

HA HA!

You sound like some one up North getting their excuses in before the result.

You got beat by Plymouths declared team & not a team of guests from the lower reaches of the league with limited top riders.