British Speedway Forum
Vicar

Attendances

21 hours ago, auntie doris said:

A friendly atmosphere as well, Swindon and Oxford fans mingling and chatting. Wouldn't happen at Football!

...just need to get some Reading fans there and the picture would be complete. Great rivalry and nothing beat good local derbies of which there were many producing many great moments to cherish.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...just need to get some Reading fans there and the picture would be complete. Great rivalry and nothing beat good local derbies of which there were many producing many great moments to cherish.

Although I havent been I know of plenty of Reading fans who been regulars this season

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skydog said:

Although I havent been I know of plenty of Reading fans who been regulars this season

I even know one who has a regular column in the Oxford programme! :wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having spent 30 plus years attending meetings at Cowley and my Dad having gone to the very first meeting back in 1949 (although they did run meetings prior to the war) it pleases me that Oxford has again risen from the depths and I wish those all involved all the very best and congratulations on what is probably the best story to come out of speedway this year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, skydog said:

yeah we need get Reading Racers Fans coming back

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, speed29 said:

yeah we need get Reading Racers Fans coming back

Great to have Oxford, Swindon & Reading all running again...one can only hope!

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, thecoombdog said:

Standby for the Poole fans to tell you otherwise!!!!

Definitely been more fans at Oxford meetings than Poole meetings this year, but as orion said, will be interesting to see how it goes over the next few seasons. Although Oxford was always a well-supported club, and it wasn't a lack of fans that caused the closure in 2007 (you can thank the GRA and Galliard Homes for that).

15 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I've seen a few retro Reading Racers coats on the terraces!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, baiden said:

I've seen a few retro Reading Racers coats on the terraces!

Nothing retro about them, they are up to the minute fashion :party:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, baiden said:

Definitely been more fans at Oxford meetings than Poole meetings this year, but as orion said, will be interesting to see how it goes over the next few seasons. Although Oxford was always a well-supported club, and it wasn't a lack of fans that caused the closure in 2007 (you can thank the GRA and Galliard Homes for that).

...and the promotion at the time. I personally felt the last few seasons at Cowley were rather lack lustre although Nigel Wagstaff tried his best following the Purchase's withdrawal.

I was in correspondence with someone (GRA) who held office at Cowley Stadium when I put it to them that they were allowing the stadium to deteriorate on purpose but of course they denied such a thing!

Edited by steve roberts

3 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I'd say that Ipswich is probably the best supported club in the UK at a Guess an average of about 1500

The play off semi will be 2500+

If the Witches make the final you will see 4000+

What is needed of course is to find the trick to turn a good proportion of these extras into regulars.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The play off semi will be 2500+

If the Witches make the final you will see 4000+

What is needed of course is to find the trick to turn a good proportion of these extras into regulars.....

...exactly!

In 2018 when the comets won the treble, mid season attendances fell to around 500 well below break even level  as the cup finals got near attendances get better near to break even levels, then at the very end of season had crowds of around 1500 to see the trophies lifted, but could/should have been more, forced to run late October often with only a few days notice so very little promotion get done, we all know what happened then the comets closed. 

Fast forward to 2022 matched getting postponed right left and centre KO cup still to run many matches, can see it being a dash to complete the season now autumn is well on its way, speedway will never learn and get most of the matches completed by the end of September 

• Like 4

When Hull Vikings won the treble in 2004, the attendances hardly went up at all, staying at circa 1,100 - 1,200,.  Like with the Comets I'm sure the amount paid out for higher points in 2004, as all those hugely enjoyable home & away pastings with trophys won almost for fun had to paid for, had a huge & similar impact on the club the following season.  Think the final speedway crowd at Craven Park in 2005, when the Vikings closed with 2 matches outstanding, was around 650 :(....

• Like 1