British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Swindon Stadium

1 hour ago, orion said:

Not sure what he's on about . Speedway only runs one a week on a Thursday as a rule between March and Oct .. So easy to fit in and any rent money  from the speedway on top of the Greyhound money is a bonus and better than nothing , 

From the speedway point of view a club a  of Swindon support have a better chance than most of breaking even . The bottom line is Clark has stopped Speedway so he can build houses just like he always wanted to 

Totally agree! He quotes total rubbish and anyone knowing his history will realise.

Edited by steve roberts

If only the Swindon Promoters had a venue to continue the sport somewhere in Swindon..

Ideally a venue with a main stand and a track would be ideal..

Anyone with any idea where there may be one being constructed within the Borough Of Swindon..?

Maybe someone locating one could get say a 20% finders fee for finding it...:o

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance as I have not kept up to date with the goings on of Swindon Speedway since my beloved stadium closed.

Why did Swindon close ? When I view the photographs of the present day Swindon track it looks good enough to race on!! 

My memories of the toilets there were pretty grim but I have seen worse.

I don't know why they have kept speedway track in good condition, they must be going over it with a grader/weed killer.

Why don't they SCB/BSPL take the speedway licence back from 'on ice' and allow another Promoter to take it on?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Why don't they SCB/BSPL take the speedway licence back from 'on ice' and allow another Promoter to take it on?

Good point .Even if we can't go back to the Abbey ..with Ruseell and Clark we have chance of finding a new venue .

35 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The penny is slowly dropping at BSPL towers...

3 hours ago, fliss44 said:

Excuse my ignorance as I have not kept up to date with the goings on of Swindon Speedway since my beloved stadium closed.

Why did Swindon close ? When I view the photographs of the present day Swindon track it looks good enough to race on!! 

My memories of the toilets there were pretty grim but I have seen worse.

Basically for the same reason that Monmore Green (Wolves) has just closed for Speedway, the owners of the Stadiums don't want it though probably for different reasons Swindon simply want to get as many houses built on the Abbey Stadium site as they can get, Monmore Green the reason given was that to many Greyhounds are getting injured by debri from the Speedway Track.

So let me get this right, Speedway in Swindon is unviable but Speedway in Poole is viable both Stadiums owned by Stadia UK, the present scenario is Stadia UK closed the Greyhound racing in Poole to move the televised Greyhounds to Swindon thus making Poole Speedway the only source of income at Poole except for a bit of income from Car Parking and a Car Boot, this then made Swindon more profitable but gave the Speedway less dates to race on, Speedway IS viable at Swindon but not so viable as building houses on the Car Parking area used for Swindon Speedway patrons.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/23849178.clarke-osbourne-reveals-swindon-speedway-leave-stadium/

Osbourne is not telling the whole truth in this article, and the new company is just window dressing and everyone knows it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

So let me get this right, Speedway in Swindon is unviable but Speedway in Poole is viable both Stadiums owned by Stadia UK, the present scenario is Stadia UK closed the Greyhound racing in Poole to move the televised Greyhounds to Swindon thus making Poole Speedway the only source of income at Poole except for a bit of income from Car Parking and a Car Boot, this then made Swindon more profitable but gave the Speedway less dates to race on, Speedway IS viable at Swindon but not so viable as building houses on the Car Parking area used for Swindon Speedway patrons.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/23849178.clarke-osbourne-reveals-swindon-speedway-leave-stadium/

Osbourne is not telling the whole truth in this article, and the new company is just window dressing and everyone knows it.

Stadia UK don't own Poole Stadium, the local council do. They only hold the lease to stage whatever sports they are licensed to.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikebv said:

If only the Swindon Promoters had a venue to continue the sport somewhere in Swindon..

Ideally a venue with a main stand and a track would be ideal..

Anyone with any idea where there may be one being constructed within the Borough Of Swindon..?

Maybe someone locating one could get say a 20% finders fee for finding it...:o

I've always thought the land where Swindon Supermarine play could be suitable, looking at google maps - maybe the locals can comment

The first thing that should happen if Swindon has any chance is removing the licence from wideboy Russell. Has no intention of bringing speedway back & is clearly working with Osbourne to stop it.

Does the BSPA have the bottle & courage to do that? No, they'll just continue to bury their heads in the sand & see clubs just dwindle away.

You only had to watch the planning inquiry regarding Brandon to see the real views of Osbourne & that smarmy wally Gareth Hooper. As soon as anyone at the BSPA saw that then the licence at Swindon should have been removed from Russell.

Edited by Chris
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

Does the BSPA have the bottle & courage to do that? No, they'll just continue to bury their heads in the sand & see clubs just dwindle away.

You do understand the BSPA are actually just the other promoters and not just a group of tyrants with a load of axes to weild?

If Godfrey wanted the same and you suggest above and the others out vote him he has to come out publicly and state the outcome decided, he gets the blame (because he s head honcho) even if he didn't vote for it.

10 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Basically for the same reason that Monmore Green (Wolves) has just closed for Speedway, the owners of the Stadiums don't want it though probably for different reasons Swindon simply want to get as many houses built on the Abbey Stadium site as they can get, Monmore Green the reason given was that to many Greyhounds are getting injured by debri from the Speedway Track.

Thank you for explaining. So very sad. If local people also wanted rid of speedway I wonder how they would feel with more houses and the consequences of it.  More people requiring already stretched amenities, etc.

We have Swindon, Peterborough and Wolves stood standing with both tracks and amenities within the stadium and Coventry with a track :unsure:

8 minutes ago, MillenTheVillen said:

You do understand the BSPA are actually just the other promoters and not just a group of tyrants with a load of axes to weild?

If Godfrey wanted the same and you suggest above and the others out vote him he has to come out publicly and state the outcome decided, he gets the blame (because he s head honcho) even if he didn't vote for it.

Don't be naive. It's on the chairman & the management committee to do their job & remove the licence.

What are they doing at Rye House & Peterborough where there is a chance of speedway next season? if they put a bit of pressure on or financial incentives on the table to the leaseholders but it's silence as usual.

Too many clowns like Godfrey, Chapman & Harkess running the sport have killed it off.

• Like 1