British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Swindon Stadium

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Don't be naive. It's on the chairman & the management committee to do their job & remove the licence.

What are they doing at Rye House & Peterborough where there is a chance of speedway next season? if they put a bit of pressure on or financial incentives on the table to the leaseholders but it's silence as usual.

Too many clowns like Godfrey, Chapman & Harkess running the sport have killed it off.

Thats Godfrey, Louis, Bates and Ford!!!!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, frigbo said:

The penny is slowly dropping at BSPL towers...

Surely, as it was so obvious, the penny dropped the moment what was announced came out...?

There is a very good track, with a brand new stadium, in a town that has supported a Speedway team for decades in more than decent numbers...

Surely all they now need is a promoter to run a Speedway team there...?

Wonder why someone hasn't come forward? 

Edited by mikebv

48 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Surely, as it was so obvious, the penny dropped the moment what was announced came out...?

There is a very good track, with a brand new stadium, in a town that has supported a Speedway team for decades in more than decent numbers...

Matt Ford? 

Start a bike up for 20 mins and see how quick a resident complains. All the stadium and pits building is just a tick box exercise. Sadly, the Abbey won't see speedway again and the BSPA will just hope everyone gives up and it disappears without a whimper. 

Have the BSPA ever come out to defend Brandon, Wolverhampton or Peterborough? They should be up in arms and have legal bods all over these venues to prove speedway has a following and a place in society. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything.. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Start a bike up for 20 mins and see how quick a resident complains. All the stadium and pits building is just a tick box exercise. Sadly, the Abbey won't see speedway again and the BSPA will just hope everyone gives up and it disappears without a whimper. 

Have the BSPA ever come out to defend Brandon, Wolverhampton or Peterborough? They should be up in arms and have legal bods all over these venues to prove speedway has a following and a place in society. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything.. 

Unfortunately I cannot correct you. I only wish I could.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fliss44 said:

Matt Ford? 

At one time Matt Ford was going into partnership with Terry Russell at Swindon. This was confirmed in one of the Speedway Podcasts - Lee Ashby's I think.

Unfortunately the bspa  have no clout regarding other people’s property and therefore its not their call what does or does not happen at these venues sad to say.

On 10/25/2023 at 3:50 PM, mikebv said:

You would have thought it wasn't too difficult to suss out wouldn't you?

Whilst the licence remains with that git Russell, we aren't going to move forward.

First job is to get him away from any association with Swindon Speedway and kill off the fake Swindon Motorsports sham.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toady said:

Unfortunately the bspa  have no clout regarding other people’s property and therefore its not their call what does or does not happen at these venues sad to say.

Agree. What is the point of this body of people. No clout, ineffective and within the cesspit of controllers overseeing the sport a bunch of bullies who do not like it when you do not play by their restrictive rules and can stoop so low as they did with Kent. It really is time that those clubs who believe in the sport break away from the fat controllers and run a business that entertains the punter and does the right thing for speedway. At the moment it is endemic amongst those who jokingly run the sport insist that it is our way or no way. Look where that has got the sport over the last few years. Well done BSPA/BSPL.

• Like 1

The Russells have done nothing but take from British Speedway, just look at all the tracks they have been associated with, nearly all of them are now defunct. I said this years ago and was criticised for it. I liken them to the Kray brothers.

• Like 1

Don't get hung up on  the  "licence"  to run speedway. You must be able to buy one cheaply on  ebay or any other  online website . Not worth a cent if housing developers own the land and are intent on building houses to help satisfy government house building targets.

Anyone who ever thought Swindon speedway would EVER survive with peoples lovely new houses backing onto the speedway ... well naive is one word.

There's much more money in housing than speedway or even greyhounds. How long do we really think Monmore will remain a greyhound track ?? Convenient excuse to get speedway out and clear the pitch to attract a housing developer .....£m

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, one of clubs said:

The Russells have done nothing but take from British Speedway, just look at all the tracks they have been associated with, nearly all of them are now defunct. I said this years ago and was criticised for it. I liken them to the Kray brothers.

Yeh did nothing for Swindon, hang on a minute they only delivered 3 league titles and some fantastic teams over the years so not all take !

This situation seems to get more odd as time goes on, can't imagine how frustrating it is for Swindon fans knowing there's a perfectly good track and stadium there. 

Russell saying it wasn't financially viable made no sense. There was no attempt to sell the club, attract new investment or even lower the costs by dropping down to the Championship where at least they'd be guaranteed some big crowds against Oxford and Poole. It was just that's it, we're done. To then team up with Osborne to look for a new site makes it even stranger given his history and reputation, you wouldn't even consider that unless you're a complete mug which I don't think he is. 

15 hours ago, Toady said:

Yeh did nothing for Swindon, hang on a minute they only delivered 3 league titles and some fantastic teams over the years so not all take !

If my memory serves me right, they gave the fans 2 farewell meetings too didn't they?