British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Period of mourning. No sport activities.

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

My dad passed away on a Thursday in 2015, I went to Edinburgh Speedway on the Friday as a tribute to him. He was a massive Speedway fan & I know he'd far rather I went to the match than stay at home.

Obviously I was mourning at the time, but that didn't mean I couldn't celebrate his life & what he loved to do at the same time.

So I don't understand why Speedway couldn't show respect by having a minutes silence & then celebrating her life instead of cancelling?

Anyone who disagreed with running the fixtures didn't have to go to them!

That was your personal decision... as was mine to continue working the next day after my dad passed away, to focus my mind. The issue when a public figure dies, world figure and head of state is, as proved on here, different people have different opinions. Maybe the BSPL were a bit previous announcing the postponement of all weekend matches, especially when a few hours later the "official" line was that sports governing bodies should make their own decisions.

At the end of the day with 7 weeks of the Speedway season left, hopefully, it shouldn't really make too much of a difference.

36 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Meetings next week then? Poole Twitter saying Poole Vs Plymouth is on Wed 14th.

Have some respect

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trackrat said:

Have some respect

Perhaps you should try it sometime 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, iainb said:

That was your personal decision... as was mine to continue working the next day after my dad passed away, to focus my mind. The issue when a public figure dies, world figure and head of state is, as proved on here, different people have different opinions. Maybe the BSPL were a bit previous announcing the postponement of all weekend matches, especially when a few hours later the "official" line was that sports governing bodies should make their own decisions.

At the end of the day with 7 weeks of the Speedway season left, hopefully, it shouldn't really make too much of a difference.

I agree different people have different opinions, which is why I think it was wrong for the BSPL to choose how we should mourn for us, by cancelling fixtures.

Could make a big difference to deciding the NL play-offs, as they're waiting for dates once Champ / Prem matches are finished.

Imo sad though it is of the queen's passing, very few speedway fans will have no personal connection, so the sport should have continued, have 1/2 minutes silence play the new national anthem you would probably find it was observed with dignity and sang with gusto, and people would have a focus to meet fellow supporters in these sad times, looks now the season may miss 2 weeks just when final places are decided, now the weather is about to turn, the season may struggle to complete,  yes no meetings next Monday but that goes without saying 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I agree different people have different opinions, which is why I think it was wrong for the BSPL to choose how we should mourn for us, by cancelling fixtures.

By the BSPL choosing though it meant that they didn't have to run with people making their own minds up to stay away... a bit like they do with calling matches off due to weather

1 hour ago, Trackrat said:

Who too?

Everyone on this forum 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 12:18 PM, Trackrat said:

Have some respect

Away to Plymouth on Tuesday