British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Billyboy

Gp 2023

Regarding frankfurt as a gp venue,  can remember many years ago early 90's going to ice speedway had a good weekend from what I remember :drink: would be good to return for a gp, as a brit plenty of flights and hotels for the weekend :D

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 9:20 PM, Bavarian said:

I would not give too much thought about this Polish newspaper report. It is more rumors than facts.

Rostock seems rather unlikely, because there is already a SGP at Teterow which is pretty close to Rostock. This just would not make sense to stage two in the same northeastern corner of our land. Germany is a much bigger country.

Frankfurt is indeed in a region where speedway is not unknown, as they do have a track not far away at Diedenbergen, and some grass track racing as well, but is fair to say that it is not a very common or popular sport in that region. But I guess that Frankfurt could nevertheless be a decent location for a Grand Prix, since it sits pretty much in the center of Germany and within a 300/400km distance from the speedway hotbeds in the north, east, and the south. Frankfurt is a big town, it has a big modern stadium with a roof. This would make it a good option. 

Berlin was not mentioned, but this is what I actually believe is the most likely option. It would certainly be worth another try. They already did it once, in 2001, but the occasion was absolutely spoilt by bad weather, cold windy and wet. They still had a rather decent attendance, but not enough to make a profit, and the promoter threw the towel in. Berlin should get a second chance, though. A big city destination, and Poland is pretty close.   

Another possibly good location, never mentioned so far, could be Hamburg. There are a number of modern stadia, although all withiut a roof. But the sport is well known in the region. Germany's very first speedway track was in Hamburg, and it was a huge success story, though a long time ago in 1929. Hamburg was and is Germany's gateway to the world, a very cosmopolitan town and not far from Denmark. Maybe worth a thought.

Or go to the deep south of the country to Munich, which is Smolinski's home town. Bavaria has a rich speedway and long-track racing tradition. Remember, they staged the 1989 world final on an artificial track in Munich's Olympic Stadium and had close to fifty thousand people in attendance. The track was crap then, due to the fact that Bayern Munich was then playing there, and the sacred football pitch was not to be touched by the speedway track. So they had to build the track around the corners, which gave it a difficult shape and made the bends too narrow for good racing. Bayern Munich has long since left the stadium and now there wouldn't be any restrictions on the shape of a temporary speedway track at that place.

There are some options, all better than what was taken up by BSI with the GP at Gelsenkirchen, which really was in a speedway no man's land, for in teh western region of Germany, speedway was and still is a sport more or less unknown. The Schalke Stadium had a roof, that was the only thing going for it. The initial excitement and razzmatazz of having a Speedway meeting at Schalke, tempted about 25,000 from all the other regions of Germany to go there - once !  That was a long way to travel and after tehy had seen it once, most of them did not come again in the second year. And we all know how this ended, with the second SGP there being called off and relocated to Bydgoszcz.

Its a shame Berlin doesn't have a covered stadium, because it would attract a decent crowd. Its very accessible from Poland and most of northern Europe.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 9:28 PM, bruno said:

Why has Bydgoszcz been culled from the GP series, I know they had behind the scenes problems but as a track it was up there with the best 

I stand to be corrected on this Bruno,but the cost of staging a GP in Bydgoszcz(was told by a friend who lives in the City back in 2010 when i last attended a GP there)was over £400k to stage a GP at Polonia Stadium.  

• Like 1

Any news/rumours on any likely date when we’ll find out the remainder of the calendar? Seems odd being this far past Torun and only having dates for Cardiff & Warsaw? 

Is the delay going to be due to some exciting news or are they simply deliberating over whether Krsko or Gorican is going to capture the imagination of the paying public and create the ‘new era of speedway’ ;) 

Can we presume that the Torun GP in 2023 is likely to be on Saturday September 30th. Booking.com showing some hotels unavailable 

4 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Every chance

My usual hotel has just last week without prompting told me they’ve booked my usual quota of rooms for me for the mentioned date for SGP 2023

15 minutes ago, par_darrell said:

My usual hotel has just last week without prompting told me they’ve booked my usual quota of rooms for me for the mentioned date for SGP 2023

Is this for definite as I can book a hotel on the mentioned date but it’s non refundable!

9 hours ago, james1234 said:

Is this for definite as I can book a hotel on the mentioned date but it’s non refundable!

Until it’s announced it’s not definite- but sometimes you have to put 2+ 2 together.

10 hours ago, james1234 said:

It’s booked on a refundable booking right in the square so I’m on a no lose situation and at £36 a night when it’s usually £159 I’m sitting tight

On 10/24/2022 at 6:42 AM, racers and royals said:

Until it’s announced it’s not definite- but sometimes you have to put 2+ 2 together.

My information is that its not certain by a long way...probable but could well be a week later

2023 FIM SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX CALENDAR

April 29 – FIM Speedway GP of Croatia – Donji Kraljevec
May 13 – FIM Speedway GP of Poland – Warsaw
June 3 - FIM Speedway GP of Czech Republic – Prague
June 10 - FIM Speedway GP of Germany – Teterow
June 24 - FIM Speedway GP of Poland – Gorzow
July 15 - FIM Speedway GP of Sweden – Malilla
August 12 - FIM Speedway GP of Latvia – Riga*
September 2 - FIM Speedway GP of Great Britain – Cardiff
September 16 - FIM Speedway GP of Denmark – Vojens
September 30 - FIM Speedway GP of Poland – Torun

2023 FIM SPEEDWAY WORLD CUP CALENDAR (all events to be staged at Wroclaw’s Olympic Stadium in Poland)

Tuesday, July 25 – FIM Speedway World Cup Semi-Final 1
Wednesday, July 26 – FIM Speedway World Cup Semi-Final 2
Friday, July 28 – FIM Speedway World Cup Race Off
Saturday, July 29 – FIM Speedway World Cup Final

2023 SGP2 FIM SPEEDWAY UNDER-21 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CALENDAR

Friday, June 2 – FIM SGP2 of Czech Republic – Prague
Friday, June 23 – FIM SGP2 of Poland – Gorzow
Friday, September 15 – FIM SGP2 of Denmark – Vojens

2023 SON2 FIM TEAM SPEEDWAY UNDER-21 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Friday, August 11 – FIM Speedway of Nations - SON2 – Riga, Latvia*

2023 SGP3 FIM SPEEDWAY YOUTH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Friday, July 14 – FIM SGP3 Final – Malilla