British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Billyboy

Gp 2023

6 hours ago, chunky said:

Anyone else notice that the British GP is being held 44 years to the day after the 1978 World Final at Wembley?

Can only hope the GP capture the imagination of speedway fans the way 78 Wembley world final did - 19 thousand fans at Cardiff 2022 it can’t afford another disaster in 2023 or surely be the end . 

Just now, bruno said:

That was 19000 before the shambles of this year

Exactly- how many would have turned up if they’d known what was going to happen over the course of the evening -2023 has new challenges cost of living crisis’ possible recession hitting it could be that 19 thousand turns into 12-15 thousand- at what point does ticket sales make Cardiff unviable I wonder ? 

All looks a bit uninspiring doesn't it, what happened to the big stadium events in Speedway country's like Parken, Horsens, Ullevi, Stockholm etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

All looks a bit uninspiring doesn't it, what happened to the big stadium events in Speedway country's like Parken, Horsens, Ullevi, Stockholm etc.

Cost I’d say is the main reason for not staging GP in big stadiums- that’s what I’m saying about Cardiff - if they made money on 19 thousand must have been making a fortune on 40 thousand attendance. 
if held in a purpose built speedway stadium costs must be dramatically less than Cardiff and Warsaw - though In Warsaw I think there was 50 thousand in attendance big difference to Cardiff 

Edited by Haza

5 minutes ago, Haza said:

Cost I’d say is the main reason for not staging GP in big stadiums- that’s what I’m saying about Cardiff - if they made money on 19 thousand must have been making a fortune on 40 thousand attendance. 
if held in a purpose built speedway stadium costs must be dramatically less than Cardiff and Warsaw - though In Warsaw I think there was 50 thousand in attendance big difference to Cardiff 

I would have thought they would have made a big loss on Cardiff, surely they couldn't have expected 19k when crowds had pretty much increased year on year culminating in the biggest crowd ever in 2019! They're probably tied into a multi year contract i would have thought... I wonder if there's a get out?

• Like 1

The issue with Cardiff is hotel costs. People can justify the tickets as it's a one-off each season. Factor in the hotels, you can get a weeks holiday for the same. Last years ticket price + hotel for 3 (2ad - 1ch) of us currently looking at around £325-400. Unbelievably expensive for effectively 30mins of actual racing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

The issue with Cardiff is hotel costs. People can justify the tickets as it's a one-off each season. Factor in the hotels, you can get a weeks holiday for the same. Last years ticket price + hotel for 3 (2ad - 1ch) of us currently looking at around £325-400. Unbelievably expensive for effectively 30mins of actual racing. 

I actually looked at hotels in Cardiff this morning for two nights two people - they want silly money then stadium tickets travel costs food and drink on top makes it very expensive two days away - ok some say you don’t need two days but travelling from Lincolnshire definitely want two days to make it worth while trip . 

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I would have thought they would have made a big loss on Cardiff, surely they couldn't have expected 19k when crowds had pretty much increased year on year culminating in the biggest crowd ever in 2019! They're probably tied into a multi year contract i would have thought... I wonder if there's a get out?

Probably costs more to get out of the contract than loses on the meeting 

The Polish GPs are far and away better entertainment than Cardiff - and much cheaper. 

Next year's calendar looks boring already. Nothing has been changed since Discovery took over.

What changes were people expecting Discovery to implement?? 

12 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

What changes were people expecting Discovery to implement?? 

What they were promising would have done for starters

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

What they were promising would have done for starters

What did they promise exactly?? 

Did they ever promise changes were for 2022/23 or is it progressive change over time?

Not forgetting that the time they balloted for the SGP rights the world was very different & 2022 became the start of a financial global crisis. 

Tell me a company or business that has done what they promised in 2020 now in 2022.

Some people are bloody deluded to what's going on. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

What did they promise exactly?? 

Did they ever promise changes were for 2022/23 or is it progressive change over time?

Not forgetting that the time they balloted for the SGP rights the world was very different & 2022 became the start of a financial global crisis. 

Tell me a company or business that has done what they promised in 2020 now in 2022.

Some people are bloody deluded to what's going on. 

Progressive change over time? I think that'd be a good start as opposed to the zero changes they've made so far.

I tell a lie, they did put a new stage in to present the riders. Which meant some fans couldn't see the racing at some tracks. Apart from that though they've done nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCookie said:

Progressive change over time? I think that'd be a good start as opposed to the zero changes they've made so far.

I tell a lie, they did put a new stage in to present the riders. Which meant some fans couldn't see the racing at some tracks. Apart from that though they've done nothing.

They've had 1 season :lol: