British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

There were certainly some teams expelled from the league (not necessarily the same as having a licence cancelled) in the 1980s for poor tracks/under strength teams. Barrow, Berwick nomads, Milton Keynes, Glasgow at Workington.

All from the 1980s NL when it was run almost independently of the British League (and regarded in some circles as the best run set up in speedway).

you for got Boston in 87, they were definitely understrength, i rode at no. 1 at one point.:rofl: 

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

There were certainly some teams expelled from the league (not necessarily the same as having a licence cancelled) in the 1980s for poor tracks/under strength teams. Barrow, Berwick nomads, Milton Keynes, Glasgow at Workington.

All from the 1980s NL when it was run almost independently of the British League (and regarded in some circles as the best run set up in speedway).

In 1981 the Bandits were  homeless and carried on riding home fixtures at Barrow, Workington and Glasgow before being forced to quit NL racing after a protest from Edinburgh boss Mike Parker. The Bandits were, however, allowed to defend their KO Cup, reaching the final against Edinburgh, which the Monarchs won.

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Now who's being thick Rathbone was the one who sold it to Chapman !!!! ,

He also said if no one came in to buy it , the Panthers would of still run in the championship that year

Absolutely did and also stated that his reason for putting the club up for sale were not financial but purely that he could not devote so much time to he club, especially with the commute between Redcar and Peterborough 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pitch said:

This

One of the most sensible messages on here, let's support the Panthers Speedway through these difficult times (for current & Potential new owners, & supporters) for now. Then hopefully look forward to a better year next year & beyond. 

I'm not giving Peterborough speedway another penny of my hard earned cash while Chapmsn is in charge!!

22 minutes ago, pleasureboy60 said:

I'm not giving Peterborough speedway another penny of my hard earned cash while Chapmsn is in charge!!

Whilst I do understand your sentiment, I worry that if the crowds are terrible who would want to take it over.

54 minutes ago, Pitch said:

Whilst I do understand your sentiment, I worry that if the crowds are terrible who would want to take it over.

That's not much of an argument though is it. Considering what's been served up under Chapman I think that the crowd has held up well. Traditionally when a losing team is served up at the EoES the crowds fall off a cliff, but we seem to have a more resilient fan base these days but even their patience is being tested now. I'm sure that anyone interested would be aware of that fact or educated about the reality of the situation.

there's a guy in speedway star says he's not going to Peterborough because of Tarasenko, and war in Ukraine.:shock:

23 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

That's not much of an argument though is it. Considering what's been served up under Chapman I think that the crowd has held up well. Traditionally when a losing team is served up at the EoES the crowds fall off a cliff, but we seem to have a more resilient fan base these days but even their patience is being tested now. I'm sure that anyone interested would be aware of that fact or educated about the reality of the situation.

I've never not gone to home meetings but this season I've stopped going since we became non competitive and I'm not going back until they show me they want to win...

9 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Sorry you thought it was an argument. It was merely a point of view.

Worrying comments by Chris Louis on Twitter. The sport needs to remove people like Buster Chapman from it if it has a chance of a future. A comment like that backing up one of the cartel shows why the sport is in the s*it.

The BSPA have been very kind to him as Chapman was more than happy to close down Rye House after a couple of difficult months.

Zero sympathy for the bloke & nice to see a bit of karma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Worrying comments by Chris Louis on Twitter. The sport needs to remove people like Buster Chapman from it if it has a chance of a future. A comment like that backing up one of the cartel shows why the sport is in the s*it.

The BSPA have been very kind to him as Chapman was more than happy to close down Rye House after a couple of difficult months.

If Chris Louis has said that about a fellow promoter, no matter who he/she is, he needs to be severely reprimanded by the SCB/BSPL in public, and have his promoting licence taken away.  

That is way out of order, and he should know better.   

3 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

If Chris Louis has said that about a fellow promoter, no matter who he/she is, he needs to be severely reprimanded by the SCB/BSPL in public, and have his promoting licence taken away.  

Celine Dion

4 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Chris Louis hasn't said that, the forum Chris has. Louis was defending Buster on Twitter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris said:

How on earth can a club remain open when it hasn't paid it's insurance, medical fees, riders, rent and so much more? Some for months.

• Like 2