British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

20 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Is there the slightest possibility that AEPG have closed the doors on Chapman, but would consider doing a deal with a different party?

I wouldn't know.

12 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I'm kind of thankful that i have been able to watch another 30+ years of speedway at Lynn.Had it not been for Buster we would have probably been long lost to speedway long before the likes of Coventry,Lakeside,Swindon and many more.Yes we have had some very poor sides but we have had speedway.

The speedway promoters need to come together as a collective and not just do what is in the best interests for their own clubs to sort the huge mess British speedway is in.They all have self interest,not just Buster as you would like it to be.

Promoters are only in for themselves, sod everybody else !

9 minutes ago, pleasureboy60 said:

Promoters are only in for themselves, sod everybody else !

I agree,it's been going on forever I think.

34 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Is there the slightest possibility that AEPG have closed the doors on Chapman, but would consider doing a deal with a different party?

I think that there's a possibility, as Bratters has eluded to, that AEPG haven't thought it through. Chapman wants out so what's easier than just agreeing to go without fuss? Suits both parties in the short term and I doubt that we put up much of a fight? AEPG would hopefully be more receptive to the likes of Rathbone (who has the experience) or Tomalin, but they may just chance it that PCC ignores LP30 (which we're told they wouldn't) with whatever planning application they submit? If they are allegedly not willing to negotiate at all then that appears to be their strategy so we'd have to explore what few other routes are still available. They are only contracted agents after all?

18 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I think that there's a possibility, as Bratters has eluded to, that AEPG haven't thought it through. Chapman wants out so what's easier than just agreeing to go without fuss? Suits both parties in the short term and I doubt that we put up much of a fight? AEPG would hopefully be more receptive to the likes of Rathbone (who has the experience) or Tomalin, but they may just chance it that PCC ignores LP30 (which we're told they wouldn't) with whatever planning application they submit? If they are allegedly not willing to negotiate at all then that appears to be their strategy so we'd have to explore what few other routes are still available. They are only contracted agents after all?

Each day that passes without construction is costing AEPG money and today has cost them a fortune hiring a bailiff to serve notice on a Gypsy encampment that turned up late last night on the land adjacent to the Harvester, the land AEPG have let become a wasteland/jungle because they sold the grass cutting equipment and got rid of most of the staff. Once the encampment (about 30 vehicles) have gone, the land will need about 400 metres of stronger fencing and barriers erecting. AEPG have to be haemorrhaging money at a fair rate of knots, I wonder how much money they actually have, companies house suggests not a lot.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/fence-broken-as-travellers-set-up-camp-at-peterboroughs-east-of-england-showground-4247042

Edited by Mick Bratley
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

Each day that passes without construction is costing AEPG money and today has cost them a fortune hiring a bailiff to serve notice on a Gypsy encampment that turned up late last night on the land adjacent to the Harvester, the land AEPG have let become a wasteland/jungle because they sold the grass cutting equipment and got rid of most of the staff. Once the encampment (about 30 vehicles) have gone, the land will need about 400 metres of stronger fencing and barriers erecting. AEPG have to be haemorrhaging money at a fair rate of knots, I wonder how much money they actually have, companies house suggests not a lot.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/fence-broken-as-travellers-set-up-camp-at-peterboroughs-east-of-england-showground-4247042

Just seen that. It's interesting that it says "The Showground land is set to be turned into a major housing and leisure development, with work set to begin next year" when they haven't got planning permission yet, that I'm are of anyway, as well as other similar local developments being refused or delayed due to supply chain and associated issues.

Just done a quick scan (it is late and I'm tired ;) )  of "The Design and Access Statement prepared by IDP Architects, Landscape Architects and Urban Designers which is said to be part of a suite of documents for two parallel planning applications to develop the East of England Showground" , and using the limit of my search skills, I can find that speedway gets 6 insignificant mentions in the document (two of which are labels for pictures). More interestingly is that although LP30 is shown on page 29 I don't think that they've grasped its significance or mentioned how the loss of an existing culture , leisure, tourism and community facility (ie Peterborough Speedway) is to be addressed because their application supposedly fails without that clarification and associated action. - I may just have missed it or read it wrong so if we can get someone brighter than me on the case :)

Edited by Crump99

7 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Just seen that. It's interesting that it says "The Showground land is set to be turned into a major housing and leisure development, with work set to begin next year" when they haven't got planning permission yet, that I'm are of anyway, as well as other similar local developments being refused or delayed due to supply chain and associated issues.

Just done a quick scan (it is late and I'm tired ;) )  of "The Design and Access Statement prepared by IDP Architects, Landscape Architects and Urban Designers which is said to be part of a suite of documents for two parallel planning applications to develop the East of England Showground" , and using the limit of my search skills, I can find that speedway gets 6 insignificant mentions in the document (two of which are labels for pictures). More interestingly is that although LP30 is shown on page 29 I don't think that they've grasped its significance or mentioned how the loss of an existing culture , leisure, tourism and community facility (ie Peterborough Speedway) is to be addressed because their application supposedly fails without that clarification and associated action. - I may just have missed it or read it wrong so if we can get someone brighter than me on the case :)

Good luck with removing the travellers. Hope they leave their mark !

1 hour ago, pleasureboy60 said:

No probs! They've been in touch with Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! allegedly & Paul Bohill and Steve Pinner are having a word.

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2023 at 12:28 PM, Crump99 said:

Don't want to get in a toxic argument but that's confused me because I heard that, although it's a bit hard to argue against Chapman's programme statement because of the way it's qualified.

If Rathbone did make an offer (unlikely that the BSPL would accept him back anyway allegedly?) then one assumes that he wouldn't do it on the basis (and I guess that he knows Butterfield (AEPG)) of Panthers finishing at the end of 2023?

All still a bit confusing?

Without wanting to sound naive and opening a can of worms here, but I must have been sleeping under a rock and am unaware of the story behind Rathbone. What exactly did he do that was so bad for BSPL to want to block him out? Why did he leave Peterborough?

26 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Without wanting to sound naive and opening a can of worms here, but I must have been sleeping under a rock and am unaware of the story behind Rathbone. What exactly did he do that was so bad for BSPL to want to block him out? Why did he leave Peterborough?

Wasn’t it to do with Jack Holder allowing him to race for Torun when Pboro had a meeting think may have been the championship 4s he missed

Edited by Haza

19 minutes ago, Haza said:

Wasn’t it to do with Jack Holder allowing him to race for Torun when Pboro had a meeting think may have been the championship 4s he missed

I was aware of that but assumed it was something much more drastic than that 

56 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Not a can of worm because Holdergate and associated is common knowledge and it didn't end well. Despite the public messaging one assumes that Rathbone didn't particularly want to sell up at Peterborough and he hasn't been involved since anywhere, that I know of, so you need to ask why? Or perhaps you don't? That's as far as I go on unconfirmed messages but it it all seems logical? And to answer your point above, allegedly there were other day to day issues which upset (not too difficult) the powers that be. Anyone else is welcome to clarify or dispel these things. Just to be clear, I have no problem with Rathbone and would be more than happy for him to be in charge of Peterborough Speedway.

Edited by Crump99

13 hours ago, Crump99 said:

I sent the ET an email reminding them that AEPG do not own the land and that planning hasn’t been approved.

5 hours ago, pleasureboy60 said:

They’ve gone and the grass has been cut! 

The caravan club should return and buy the Showground, Then once the sale has gone through they can lease it to Michael Tomalin for a reasonable price.

Edited by TTT