British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

4 hours ago, OldNutter said:

I am suspicious old sod, but why does the last meeting publicity say "Farewell to the Showground" and not mention what or who is saying farewell to what from the showground.  Is it a farewell to the showground for Buster but not speedway?  The publicity also points to making contact direct to Buster's mobile if you want to sponsor anything at the meeting?

I get the feeling we may have been peeing against the wind for the past month ore so in expecting anything positive to happen.  I do hope not, but the next few weeks will be pivotal.

Amen to that.

The first part is spot on in my book. I'm certainly not playing that game. I was done for 2023 when Chapman read the AEPG script over the PA. The local paper and AEPG will love the farewell to speedway at the EoES edition and those not involved in the fight will just buy it as the opposition ebbs away

If we carry on kicking and screaming a bit without anyone significant happening, being that an MP, PCC decision maker or these alleged people who want to take the club forward breaking ranks then I'll not be holding my breath for the future.

I keep seeing that people are working hard behind the scenes, well I know one, so let's hope that they keep the pressure up for those next few pivotal weeks.

11 hours ago, OldNutter said:

What is Peterborough Speedway?  We are not talking limited one-man band companies here, so presumably if someone gets BSP approval to run a season branded as "Peterborough Speedway" it would still technically exist and no amount of documents could prove otherwise.

Bratters is the expert regarding the world of shark infested custard. If there's a way then he would know. If AEPG don't want to negotiate though then what do you do? Go direct to the East of England Agricultural Society, keeping PCC updated as well could be a useful strategy. I'm sure that they don't want to be brought in to this and dragged down with their current promoter, AEPG who currently occupy and operate the site under a lease. The EEAS certainly didn't swallow AEPG's alleged exciting plans and fantasy planning applications to get negative press and a 1000+, thus far, objections.

Edited by Crump99

18 hours ago, Hackney said:

Decided we will not be attending Busters Banking Bonanza looks like maximum profit for minimal outlay,

Sponsorship packages,bespoke race jackets bang average riders so far.

Not going to put another penny in his pocket to help him support KL next season. Shame he didnt make the same effort to save the club.                            TIN HAT AT THE READY.

Business is business though and I’d try make as much out it as possible! Good on buster take the money and run lol 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

You’ve got to be kidding surely? Led one of the most unfancied teams who were tipped to be nearer the bottom than the top, to the title whilst turning back the clock with a vintage season. He more than deserves his place on that list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pubichair said:

Business is business though and I’d try make as much out it as possible! Good on buster take the money and run lol 

Seems very unfair on Buster to expect him to foot the bill for restructuring the Peterborough team (Harris, Tarasenko and Laguta) while denying the opportunity to recoup those costs.

Seems some people only want promoters to run loss making meetings, a guaranteed recipe for the sport's demise.

I hope that next Saturday is:

1) profitable for Buster

2) a suitably fitting emotional event befitting the ocassion; and

3) not the last we see of speedway in Peterborough

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As horrific as the line-up looks, what else is there to be expected? 

It shows the dumbing down of the league over the last decade. 

No top rider's in the SGP & Ekstraliga have any relevance to Peterborough Speedway. 

Are we expecting Crump, Sullivan to don the kevlars again & just ride around at the back waving?? 

• Like 2

After consideration I won't be going even if it's a good line-up.

I just can't bring myself to line Buster's pockets one last time after the way he's treated us, I just don't like the bloke.

Whether we come to tapes next year or not, I have faith that this won't be the last time we see Panthers on track because we've got a team fighting for us behind the scenes and that team consists of a a group of people who actually love the club unlike Buster.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TTT said:

After consideration I won't be going even if it's a good line-up.

I just can't bring myself to line Buster's pockets one last time after the way he's treated us, I just don't like the bloke.

Whether we come to tapes next year or not, I have faith that this won't be the last time we see Panthers on track because we've got a team fighting for us behind the scenes and that team consists of a a group of people who actually love the club unlike Buster.

It's a shame the admission money is not going  towards the BEN Fund.Im sure people wouldn't object to that !

• Like 1

It's a no win for Panthers fans..pay the crooked owner who wants us gone one more time or don't go to the potential last ever Peterborough meeting...what to do?

1 hour ago, chrismorton said:

It's a no win for Panthers fans..pay the crooked owner who wants us gone one more time or don't go to the potential last ever Peterborough meeting...what to do?

I think the majority of supporters last meeting was against Kings Lynn , I think they said there farewell then   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrismorton said:

Would prefer my final memory to be the meeting against KL, did the track walk and my grandson got some souvenirs.

Proper competitive match, the current line up for the farewell just gives Buster a final payday and a big laugh whilst counting the cash.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chrismorton said:

It's a no win for Panthers fans. Pay the crooked owner who wants us gone one more time or don't go to the potential last ever Peterborough meeting...what to do?

Don't play the last ever game that AEPG, Chapman & some supporters are pushing is my suggestion. With planning up in the air, nothing is going to happen at the EoES for years sufficient to stop Peterborough Speedway running for several seasons at the very least. Also, with a local plan review under way and Peterborough City Council under increasing pressure, the only thing to say farewell to is 2023 and Chapman's tenure as he's made it clear that he does not want to take Panthers forward.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Don't play the last ever game that AEPG, Chapman & some supporters are pushing is my suggestion. With planning up in the air, nothing going to happen at the EoES for years sufficient to stop Peterborough Speedway running for several seasons at the very least. Also with a local plan review under way and Peterborough City Council under increasing pressure, the only thing to say farewell to is 2023 and Chapman's tenure as he's made it clear that he does not want to take Panthers forward.

Agree, once that farewell meeting is complete that's us admitting defeat.

Who is driving the farewell meeting the co promoter at KL !! So you know where the money is going.

Edited by Hackney
  • Like 1

I think I may have found the key word to describe the current position.  The word is "LEASE"

As I understand it from what little is in the public domain, AEPG has been granted a lease to own the showground for an agreed exchange of gold and until an agreed date when theoretically the ownership reverts to the farmers decendants.  That money for the lease has been borrowed from somewhere on surety that AEPG will pay it back when the planning application succeeds.  The planning succeeding is absolutely vital to this money-making exercise because on that day, the land price will increase from being farmland fit for farming to development land that has a set of agreed planning approvals.  That value change is astronomical.  However, that will only actually become "money" rather than "value" when somebody buys the LEASE off AEPG at the new very much higher rate that development land commands rather than farming land (expect someone like Bellway (- known round here as Bojjit and Floggit) to buy AEPG out.  AEPG will then melt back to the Home Counties and probably never be seen again once the money has been extracted from the company and this legal money making scheme closes and the building company get building and flogging to recover the money they will have given to AEPG in exchange for the LEASE with planning consent.

Looking at that word again, the speedway equipment/grandstand etc (probably not the air fence because that is a relatively new addition and is not stuck down )will have been sitting there as a result of an agreement with whoever owns the club whereby they have LEASED the site on an agreement and cost basis until the LEASE expires.  That LEASE expiry date is the point at which the club no longer has any right to sit on that bit of land and could, in theory allow it all to be owned by AEPG because while they have a valid LEASE they effectively own the land for the duration of their LEASE with the farmers..  That scenario would certainly explain the timing and the language over the past year or so.

Stage 1 of the original plan was when AEPG bought the showground LEASE and tried to shut the speedway down in the early summer to make it non-viable before going for the planning application.  An exchange of money probably occurred to AEPG when we began hearing that due to some "friendly talking" (AKA some more dosh), the LEASE was extended to a date in October not long after next Saturday making it possible to get to the end of this season.  That could explain why everything was "must end - that was the date at the end of the LEASE Extension.  Clearly, LEASES and LEASE Extensions for car storage are much more cost-effective than speedway and the cost of extending the speedway LEASE was set too high for the club to survive.  It is not beyond possibility because of this strange behaviour when the LEASES for the grandstand and track etc end that the whole lot could probably be owned by AEPG when the LEASE on the speedway site ends next week!!! And as long as the stuff on the land is not listed or something similar, if you own something you can do more or less anything with it. (as long as you take the relevant steps to stop any asbestos being mishandled)   A grim scenario, but completely legal and almost certain.  Paperwork probably already completed.

The ending of the speedway club LEASE held by the whoever owns the club with whoever owns the showground is really the end of speedway for the foreseeable future at least and is really goodbye to the showground.

Nobody wanting to do put their money and heart where their mouth is, no money, no LEASE extension, NO SPEEDWAY on the showground. A sad end to be effectively created from two words - GREED and LEASES.