British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

40 minutes ago, Waspman said:

Ok the person was from Peterborough so I thought it must be true but u never know if it's correct thanks 

From the last pic i've seen (Early Nov,) the fence was being dismantled. Most of the shale had been bladed off, but the track and floodlights still there. I don't know what it looks like now though :unsure:

SOS – Save Our Speedway rally in Peterborough on November 18 - CambsNews.co.uk

Peterborough Speedway track reduced to sorry state after club given notice to leave. Peterborough Arena, Peterborough Sunday 05 November 2023. PHOTO: Terry Harris for CambsNews.

Edited by Bald Bloke

1 minute ago, Bald Bloke said:

From the last pic i've seen (Early Nov,) the fence was being dismantled. Most of the shale had been bladed off, but the track and floodlights still there. I don't know what it looks like now though :unsure:

Peterborough Speedway track reduced to sorry state after club given notice to leave. Peterborough Arena, Peterborough Sunday 05 November 2023. PHOTO: Terry Harris for CambsNews.

See what u mean looks grim

• Sad 1

The track and fence isn’t really a great problem, the grandstand and lights are the most important and with the recent council planning noting that LP 30 applies to speedway , the removal of the fence and track on AEPG orders hasn’t gone down to well with anyone least of all the council planners or Sports England.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Funny that our current Idiot owner is splashing the cash at King's Lynn like he has his love back for them...I wonder where he got that from...

Edited by chrismorton
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, chrismorton said:

Funny that our current Idiot owner is splashing the cash at King's Lynn like he has his love back for them...I wonder where he got that from...

I'm sure that he knew exactly what he was or wasn't doing, so idiot isn't the right word. I can't think of many appropriate words and phrases to describe him but idiot isn't one of them. If he really wants shot of Lynn with retirement beckoning as well then a good 2024 is vital and that costs, say no more squire! You can bet that he'll put in some effort this time to get shot and will not be stipulating that bids need to be in writing before he offloads his truelove. 

Motion to be tabled at the next full Peterborough City Council meeting to be held on Wednesday 6th December 2023. This will be live-streamed.

6. Motion from Councillor Stevenson
The team motorbike sport known as ‘speedway’ has been of great credit to Peterborough since 1970. The local ‘Peterborough Panthers’ team has won the highest level national championship three times, most recently in 2021.
Over the years, the club has brought many trophies to our city at various levels within the sport, including junior level.
Peterborough Speedway has put the city of on the international map, via regular live TV coverage broadcast on the Warner Bros Discovery TV channel.
Since 1970 until now, Peterborough Panthers has been racing on a purpose-built racetrack, thought to be one of the best in the world, on the East of England Showground. The showground’s current owner, the East of England Agricultural Society (EEAS) now wishes to sell the showground, and the council’s local plan states that the land may be developed for housing and leisure.
However, AEPG, the company tasked with preparing the showground land for sale on behalf of EEAS has made it clear that the Peterborough speedway club is no longer permitted to race at the showground with immediate effect, regardless of the outcome of its two existing planning applications to redevelop the site. (In an article published in the Peterborough Telegraph on 21st November 2023, AEPG said, “To be clear, the decision not to renew the arrangement for running speedway meets would remain, irrespective of any planning applications on the land.”)
The landowner and its agent having confirmed that the club will not be permitted to race at the showground after the end of the 2023 season (which has now concluded), means that club now has nowhere to race, and with nowhere to race the club cannot continue to operate and the sport of speedway in Peterborough may die.
As a matter of urgency, Peterborough Panthers Speedway Club must now find a new home.

This council acknowledges:
 The enormous cultural and economic benefits that Peterborough Panthers Speedway Club has brought to Peterborough over the past 53 years.
 The many benefits Peterborough Panthers Speedway Club brings to the residents of Peterborough, many of whom have spoken of how the club has contributed positively towards their mental health and sense of wellbeing and community.
 That Peterborough Panthers provides positive role models for young people who are interested in motorbikes and provides a means for them to enjoy motorbikes as a sport in a safe and responsible way.
This council resolves:
 To arrange a meeting between the current owners of the Peterborough Panthers Speedway Team and the council leader and relevant cabinet member(s) and council officers to discover if there is any way the council can help to keep the sport of speedway alive in Peterborough.
 To promote speedway in Peterborough so that more of the city’s residents are aware of the benefits this family-oriented sport brings to the city.

Full agenda here:  https://democracy.peterborough.gov.uk/documents/s51351/12. Motions on Notice.pdf

• Like 2

Who will actually be representing the club as the "current" owner of the Peterborough Panthers for the meeting on December 6th 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Who will actually be representing the club as the "current" owner of the Peterborough Panthers for the meeting on December 6th 

Good question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

I'm sure that he knew exactly what he was or wasn't doing, so idiot isn't the right word. I can't think of many appropriate words and phrases to describe him but idiot isn't one of them. If he really wants shot of Lynn with retirement beckoning as well then a good 2024 is vital and that costs, say no more squire! You can bet that he'll put in some effort this time to get shot and will not be stipulating that bids need to be in writing before he offloads his truelove. 

Ok what about Lying, crooked P####..is that any better?

39 minutes ago, chrismorton said:

Ok what about Lying, crooked P####..is that any better?

Not really unless you have the evidence to back up the vitriol.

3 hours ago, chrismorton said:

Wasn’t he paying for 6 of them last season?? 4 at PB and 2 at Lynn??

Edited by Bald Bloke

9 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Not really unless you have the evidence to back up the vitriol.

He's getting away with this very Scot free currently and it doesn't overly sit well. 

All I see as a fan is our club closed down, track dug up without a fight from the owners of the club.  

The fight is being conducted by fans and a consortium who want to take the club on, fine but what's happening with taking the club on? Is the current owner playing ball or just taking last seasons Panthers to King's Lynn? 

Even the last meeting was poor and left everyone wanting more 

• Like 3

Whilst other riders sign with clubs, Artem Laguta is giving the Panthers every chance to run in 2024.

Artem told his manager that it's the Panthers or nobody.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Flappy said:

He's getting away with this very Scot free currently and it doesn't overly sit well. 

All I see as a fan is our club closed down, track dug up without a fight from the owners of the club.  

The fight is being conducted by fans and a consortium who want to take the club on, fine but what's happening with taking the club on? Is the current owner playing ball or just taking last seasons Panthers to King's Lynn? 

Even the last meeting was poor and left everyone wanting more 

Can't see him selling tbh, I'm 99% sure he's done a deal with AEPG, Something's just not right because things aren't adding up.

Sad thing about is some Panthers fans will dance to his tune by attending KL meetings next season because they've put out a predictable 2023 Panthers select side.

I hope the majority will see the light though and go to meetings at Ipswich and Leicester instead......Support the new ownership at Leicester or support Chris Louis and Ritchie Hawkins at Ipswich where the latter has already made the effort in supporting us.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TTT said:

Can't see him selling tbh, I'm 99% sure he's done a deal with AEPG, Something's just not right because things aren't adding up.

Sad thing about is some Panthers fans will dance to his tune by attending KL meetings next season because they've put out a predictable 2023 Panthers select side.

I hope the majority will see the light though and go to meetings at Ipswich and Leicester instead......Support the new ownership at Leicester or support Chris Louis and Ritchie Hawkins at Ipswich where the latter has already made the effort in supporting us.

People can do what they please but it's Peterborough or nothing for me 

• Like 2