British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

12 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

I’m pinning my hopes on planning being refused and AEPG baleing and someone getting ownership of The Showground and putting on quality events that appeal to locals as well as people who travel from afar. Then again I’ve been pinning my hopes on Posh reaching the Premiership for far to long lol.

I think that it's gone too far now (started with Mercer all those years ago as you know more than most) and further significant development of some sort is the only outcome with the Showground. Only question is whether Peterborough Speedway can be incorporated within it or whether the local plan still says that they must be provided for elsewhere if not? The place (mainly the surroundings outside of the main arena to be fair) looks more of a dump on each visit, which is probably intentional? Can't see it ever being returned to a resemblance of it's former glory with new owners but we live in hope.

Posh Premiership :D Not until your owner stops selling every decent player as soon as the club makes progress. Buy low and sell everyone as soon as there's a profit to be seen (without the losses of increased wage demands) is a noble sustainable policy but lower league thinking so it's no surprise that you've been waiting so long and will sadly never see your dream :(

Bit off script there, but back on track. What do you think of the purple rebrand? I liked the way that Saul & the new girl were trying to sell it as a positive whilst having a discussion at pit gate on Monday. I think that it's awful, unnecessary nothingness? I may be in the minority but I usually am.

Edited by Crump99

1 minute ago, Crump99 said:

I think that it's gone too far now (started with Mercer all those years ago as you know more than most) and further significant development of some sort is the only outcome with the Showground. Only question is whether Peterborough Speedway can be incorporated within it or whether the local plan still says that they must be provided for elsewhere if not? The place (mainly the surroundings outside of the main arena to be fair) looks more of a dump on each visit, which is probably intentional? Can't see it ever being returned to a resemblance of it's former glory with new owners but we live in hope.

Posh Premiership :D Not until your owner stops selling every decent player as soon as the club makes progress. Buy low and sell everyone as soon as there's a profit to be seen (without the losses of increased wage demands) is a noble sustainably policy but lower league thinking so it's no surprise that you've been waiting so long and will sadly never see your dream :(

Bit off script there, but back on track. What do you think of the purple rebrand? I liked the way that Saul & the new girl were trying to sell it as a positive whilst having a discussion at pit gate on Monday. I think that it's awful, unnecessary nothingness? I may be in the minority but I usually am.

I’m not really that bothered by the purple rebrand, I think supporters of the club have bigger things to concern themselves with right now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

I’m pinning my hopes on planning being refused and AEPG baleing and someone getting ownership of The Showground and putting on quality events that appeal to locals as well as people who travel from afar. Then again I’ve been pinning my hopes on Posh reaching the Premiership for far to long lol.

You and me both

It's time for all of us Panthers and speedway fans in general to make a stand on this. 

Wolves seem to be getting a lot of sympathy and rightly so but Panthers seem to have been left to rot 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

I’m not really that bothered by the purple rebrand, I think supporters of the club have bigger things to concern themselves with right now.

True and diplomatic Bratters, will save that one :t:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, stevehone said:

they possibly see the Peterborough situation as inevitable, Wolves was a bolt out the blue

You have to wonder whether the Wolves situation is just a public negotiating exercise... as you don't offer your tenants a 4 year agreement and then not sign it when it's returned, can't help but think there's something else going on there, I could be wrong of course

All of these clubs and promoters fighting for Wolves' future yet they're silent when it comes to Peterborough.

Don't know about fellow Panthers fans but that doesn't sit well with me, Seems like they're all for the closure of Peterborough Speedway.

1 minute ago, TTT said:

All of these clubs and promoters fighting for Wolves' future yet they're silent when it comes to Peterborough.

Don't know about fellow Panthers fans but that doesn't sit well with me, Seems like they're all for the closure of Peterborough Speedway.

I think it’s because AEPG have created this myth that it’s a done deal. It isn’t. Supporters, and local residents to the development are sleep walking into this happening.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What’s the betting that the speedway will get kicked out and nothing will happen to the land for years. Just like lakeside Middlesbrough rye house Coventry Reading and Coventry. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

What’s the betting that the speedway will get kicked out and nothing will happen to the land for years. Just like lakeside Middlesbrough rye house Coventry Reading and Coventry. 

I reckon they will demolish the Grandstand, pits and safety fence at the first opportunity they get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TTT said:

There's one significant difference.

Wolves Speedway are being kicked out of Monmore Green.

The Showground is being redeveloped and all sports/events are being cancelled.

Much harder to solve the former, than the latter.

3 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

I reckon they will demolish the Grandstand, pits and safety fence at the first opportunity they get.

Which is why the PCC Local Plan has to be highlighted now along with the provisions within it. If AEPG don't wish to accommodate Peterborough Speedway then LP30 "Existing Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community Facilities" means that such an act of vandalism will result in a relocation cost to them with both land purchase and construction: "m - The proposal includes the provision of a new facility of a similar nature and of a similar or greater size in a suitable on or off-site location"

It certainly isn't a done deal as you say: The depot is a temporary use because AEPG has also submitted an outline planning application for a £50 million leisure village and 1,500 homes on the Showground - I assume that that's not been agreed so they have nothing yet? The resistance is growing and as far as we know they have nothing but the artists impression and glossy brochure? Much like the POSH ground on the embankment;)

Someone needs to keep an eye on them though because if this is how local residents feel after Monday's meeting with AEPG then we've got a bit of a problem: "But their overall attitude suggests they will just push on with this regardless and they are not interested in residents’ feelings"

Edited by Crump99

Yep - just to make sure there is no going back - sad! 

I wonder if they employ one of those security teams that seem to struggle to prevent fires happening in ex Speedway Grandstands...?;)

Edited by mikebv