British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vicar

Provincial League Riders Championship 1936 - results?

Hello,

I'm looking for final standings of Provincial League Riders Championship in 1936. I know that there were several qualifying rounds on the tracks of the teams from Provincial League. However I just get info that the overall winner was George Greenwood. I cannot find anywhere whole standings or at least top3 - neither on wiki or on SpeedwayResearcher. Can anyone help me?

1. George Greenwood - 59 pts

2. Tommy Price - 57

3. Billy Dallison - 50

3. Frank Goulden - 47

4. Ted Bravery - 43

5. Harry Shepherd - 36

6. Tiger Hart - 35

7. Dick Wise - 30

8. Roy Dook - 29

9. Eric Blain - 26

10. B. Jones - 25

11. J. Hobson - 23

12. Stan Hart - 20

13. Les Gregory - 12

14. Eric Collins - 10

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

1. George Greenwood - 59 pts

2. Tommy Price - 57

3. Billy Dallison - 50

3. Frank Goulden - 47

4. Ted Bravery - 43

5. Harry Shepherd - 36

6. Tiger Hart - 35

7. Dick Wise - 30

8. Roy Dook - 29

9. Eric Blain - 26

10. B. Jones - 25

11. J. Hobson - 23

12. Stan Hart - 20

13. Les Gregory - 12

14. Eric Collins - 10

Thank you! May I know the source? By Tommy Price you mean future World Champ Wembley&Nottingham, and not the one from Belle Vue&Liverpool?

16 minutes ago, Vicar said:

Thank you! May I know the source? By Tommy Price you mean future World Champ Wembley&Nottingham, and not the one from Belle Vue&Liverpool?

Probably from a book by that prolific author Norman Jacobs :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vicar said:

By Tommy Price you mean future World Champ Wembley&Nottingham, and not the one from Belle Vue&Liverpool?

It was Liverpool's Tom Price.

2 hours ago, Vicar said:

29th August 1936 edition of Speedway News which has a full report of the meeting. And, as BL65 says, it was Liverpool's Tommy Price.

Another question: were there also Provincial League Riders' Championship or National League Division 2 Riders' Championship also in years 1937-1939?

On 9/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, Vicar said:

Another question: were there also Provincial League Riders' Championship or National League Division 2 Riders' Championship also in years 1937-1939?

There was absolutely nothing in those years, the next title after the 1936 Nottingham came at Birmingham in 1946, Walthamstow 1950 (Div3), Cardiff 1951 (Div3), 1954 BV (Div2) then the SAL riders Champs in the late 50's before the PLRC and then BLRC came in.

Edited by andout

On 9/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, Vicar said:

Hello,

I'm looking for final standings of Provincial League Riders Championship in 1936. I know that there were several qualifying rounds on the tracks of the teams from Provincial League. However I just get info that the overall winner was George Greenwood. I cannot find anywhere whole standings or at least top3 - neither on wiki or on SpeedwayResearcher. Can anyone help me?

Link to Speedway Researcher:

https://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk

Edited by Guest

There were three speedway rider Price brothers - Tom,  Ernie and Norman.

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Link to Speedway Researcher:

https://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk

Not sure why you posted the link there, John. He clearly states that he had already checked Speedway Researcher...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Not sure why you posted the link there, John. He clearly states that he had already checked Speedway Researcher...

And that they didn't have a report of the meeting.

OK so according to my Nottingham Final Round programme the scores from the previous four rounds are as follows.

Greenwood 45, Price 44, Goulden 40, Dallison 39, Bravery 34, Dook 29, Shepherd 29, Hart 25, Hobson 23, Jones 23,Blain 22, Wise 22, S Hart 17, Collins 10, Gregory 7.

My final round programme is incomplete but the full results are on Speedway researcher so just add them together as norbold has already provided.

The four previous rounds were at Bristol, Plymouth, Liverpool and Southampton.

Edited by andout