British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Poole(44) v Leicester(46) KO Cup semi final 2nd leg 21/09

Championship league leaders and odds on favourites for the title Leicester Lions got their paws clipped tonight by a battling Poole Pirates. It was a very good meeting on a well prepared track and lots of very entertaining heats. 

I think when Poole had opened a 10 point league Stewart Dickson told his team to not take risks. No point chasing something that had got away from them and a bigger meeting at Edinburgh on Friday.

Thing is, Steve Worrall had bike issues in his first two rides. What would the score have been had he not had these issues? All the Poole boys are riding well, and I include Nathan in that. He’s battling to the best of his ability. But it was refreshing to see both Drew Kemp and Zack Cook bring their A game. Rider of the night was Ben Cook, with an amazing pass of Howarth on the very last bend which brought the house down. Richard Lawson also unbeaten. 

Pirates head to Scotland on Sunday for a very tough and challenging meeting in the first leg of the Championship Semi-Finals. Back to Poole next Wednesday for the second leg.

If, and it’s a big if, Poole were to meet Leicester in the final, the two meetings this week will be meaningless. Now Pirates meet Redcar in the KO Cup final.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

How do they work out who gets second leg at home on KOC? ;)

The Cup holders get preference!!  ;-)

26 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Championship league leaders and odds on favourites for the title Leicester Lions got their paws clipped tonight by a battling Poole Pirates. It was a very good meeting on a well prepared track and lots of very entertaining heats. 

I think when Poole had opened a 10 point league Stewart Dickson told his team to not take risks. No point chasing something that had got away from them and a bigger meeting at Edinburgh on Friday.

Thing is, Steve Worrall had bike issues in his first two rides. What would the score have been had he not had these issues? All the Poole boys are riding well, and I include Nathan in that. He’s battling to the best of his ability. But it was refreshing to see both Drew Kemp and Zack Cook bring their A game. Rider of the night was Ben Cook, with an amazing pass of Howarth on the very last bend which brought the house down. Richard Lawson also unbeaten. 

Pirates head to Scotland on Sunday for a very tough and challenging meeting in the first leg of the Championship Semi-Finals. Back to Poole next Wednesday for the second leg.

If, and it’s a big if, Poole were to meet Leicester in the final, the two meetings this week will be meaningless. Now Pirates meet Redcar in the KO Cup final.

Cant disagree with any of that except to say that both Cooks shared the sponsors Rider of the night award. Can't wait to see Ben Cook v Basso in heat 1 next week.

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

It will also be interesting to hear Dicksons excuses.

Know excuses, that's what you call a pasting 

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

Edited by Arthur54

Well beaten tonight by a brilliant Poole side on the night ... hats off to the two Cooks and Lawson ... untouchable ...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Wow some collapse in second half. Can't imagine Mr Dickson be happy about that 

Lions kept it close to heat 6 until Ben Cook catching Howarth on the line in the race of the night. Then BOOM the Pirates went into over drive.

• Like 1

Well done to the Poole pirates. They were simply awesome. What a team they have! My concern for the lions is the mentality of the team...we've took some (not many I know) beatings away from home...soon as it goes bad it's almost like we give up! Like last season at home against Poole they seemly just thrown in the towel. Same in the knock out cup this year and last year. I can't see us winning the the play offs if we just give up ! Sort the mentality out and we will be ok. It's typical of leicester folk though to get abit moody and depressed when things go wrong in all honestly! Heres to Friday and Saturday night ! COYL! 

• Like 1

as a Redcar fan, kind of dreading the final. Hope we at least get the home leg 1st and try for a 4/6 point win followed by a 30 pt loss away. Poole fans must be quaking in their boots, not

• Like 1