British Speedway Forum
OdsalBoy

Sheffield Tigers 2023

20 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

OK, well agree to disagree otherwise we'll go round in circles that my sanity can't cope with. But hopefully going forward season ending injuries will continue to be allowed new signings to cover them.

That all teams can use fairly. Until someone brings in a ringer of course. We know some promoters will try.

On 2/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, bellevueace said:

Ive never been a fan of the play offs but i understand the reasoning behind them, yes the semis and final bring in good crowds for 4 teams but throughout the season are they counter productive when you look at the sparse crowds, it seems people are staying away from league matches as they are nothing but a series of qualifying rounds and come out in force for the play offs, so what promoters are gaining on the swings they are losing on the roundabouts, or does the revenue from play offs cover the shocking crowds throughout the league campaign and that would only benefit four teams.

Scrapping the playoffs wouldn’t improve crowds for all league meetings, maybe the key ones at the end though so no change really.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 6:52 PM, Call me wolfie said:

Scrapping the playoffs wouldn’t improve crowds for all league meetings, maybe the key ones at the end though so no change really.

Exactly, the sport needs the play offs to survive. 

For anyone not on Facebook, tonight's STAARS meeting at New Barracks Tavern is cancelled.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 12:24 AM, stevebrum said:

And there is nothing worse allowing one team to sign a rider just for the play offs whilst denying another team the same.

The Regulations were different in previous seasons.  Sheffield took advantage of the same regulation used by BV to make a signing that they otherwise couldn't have made - that definitely improved their team.  Perhaps if they hadn't set a precedent, then BV might not have been able to make their change?

Also, no-one can ever predict how well a new rider will perform (or how poorly an existing excellent rider will perform), so there's no argument there either.

Get over it.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:40 PM, stevebrum said:

False economy - and a self-made smokescreen for the main problem ...

The sport needs corporate sponsorship to survive.

The play-offs have become the extra survival option simply because the sport is heavily reliant upon the cash flow generated by paying customers.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 6:52 PM, Call me wolfie said:

There's both pros & cons for the play-offs. Not a fan of them myself. But I'd be interested to see what the crowd was for Sheffield vs Ipswich on Oct 24th, what would have been a league title decider, basically turned into a challenge match!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

The Regulations were different in previous seasons.  Sheffield took advantage of the same regulation used by BV to make a signing that they otherwise couldn't have made - that definitely improved their team.  Perhaps if they hadn't set a precedent, then BV might not have been able to make their change?

Also, no-one can ever predict how well a new rider will perform (or how poorly an existing excellent rider will perform), so there's no argument there either.

Get over it.

The world number 5 was always going to score more than Max, I’m well over it. 
it still stinks. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stevebrum said:

it still stinks. 

yeah, you've definitely moved on, I can tell :rofl:

• Haha 2

On 3/2/2023 at 2:40 PM, stevebrum said:

Doesn't help teams who fail to qualify for play offs, and speedway, ideally needs all teams to survive.

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

Doesn't help teams who fail to qualify for play offs, and speedway, ideally needs all teams to survive.

Without the play offs more clubs would close. 

17 hours ago, stevebrum said:

it still stinks. 

BUT HIS AVERAGE WAS LOWER AND HE WAS ONLY SIGNED BECAUSE FRICKE'S SEASON WAS ENDED BY INJURY.

Jesus wept.

• Haha 3

On 3/9/2023 at 12:54 PM, Roger Jacobs said:

Get over it.

And without the third change (that wasnt allowed in the redulations), maybe they wouldnt have qualified? 

All ifs, buts and maybes obviously, but as you say, time to move on..

Roll on 2023, could be a cracker with some decent teams announced, and let's see if Mr Morris can sort such situations out...

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

BUT HIS AVERAGE WAS LOWER AND HE WAS ONLY SIGNED BECAUSE FRICKE'S SEASON WAS ENDED BY INJURY.

Jesus wept.

We all know his average doesn't reflect his current ability, he was always going to perform better than Fricke. It was for a season ending injury so fair enough as it's within the rules but it just seems wrong to bring in a rider just for the playoffs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

We all know his average doesn't reflect his current ability, he was always going to perform better than Fricke. It was for a season ending injury so fair enough as it's within the rules but it just seems wrong to bring in a rider just for the playoffs. 

Hhhmmmm like Greg Hancock maybe ???

• Like 1