British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Stadium ownership

3 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

How many clubs actually own the land their track and stadium is built on?

Interesting question, probably not many.

A quick Wiki search shows that most definitely don't but others not so clear. 

In the Premiership all but Kings Lynn are listed as tenants of their stadiums. I don't know if Buster owns the Norfolk Arena lock stock and barrel.

Of the rest, Glasgow are listed as stadium owners. The ones that are unclear are Leicester, Scunthorpe, Redcar and Kent at Iwade.

Perhaps those with local knowledge could clarify?

51 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Interesting question, probably not many.

A quick Wiki search shows that most definitely don't but others not so clear. 

In the Premiership all but Kings Lynn are listed as tenants of their stadiums. I don't know if Buster owns the Norfolk Arena lock stock and barrel.

Of the rest, Glasgow are listed as stadium owners. The ones that are unclear are Leicester, Scunthorpe, Redcar and Kent at Iwade.

Perhaps those with local knowledge could clarify?

Leicester - the council own the land. The site is on a long lease that I think  David Hemsley still has an Interest in, and the current Speedway promotion sublet from him.

Think Scunny have a long term lease on the land there but possiby don't actually own the site, probably Scunny council do ?...

Who owns Belle Vue?

However, even if a stadium is owned by the promoter, it doesn't protect speedway being there forever. Belle Vue, Hyde Road and Cradley Heath, 2 examples! :( 

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Who owns Belle Vue?

Manchester City Council

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

However, even if a stadium is owned by the promoter, it doesn't protect speedway being there forever. Belle Vue, Hyde Road and Cradley Heath, 2 examples! :( 

and Somerset

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

...or Coventry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Redcar is owned by the local council although everything on the land is owned by the directors.

Am i right in thinking that will be same for the kart track next door?   I'd like to think having the both together would give a bit of strength in numbers 

58 minutes ago, Fina said:

Am i right in thinking that will be same for the kart track next door?   I'd like to think having the both together would give a bit of strength in numbers 

Yes, council own the whole motorsports park and have tried to pass it off previously as there is no guarantee of safety in any council owned land these days even if you do have a lease.