British Speedway Forum
Argos

Peter Collins Book

5 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Just ordered.

When do we get one from Chris Morton, I would like to know what went on in the construction of the NSS and afterward.

Didn't Chris Morton do a book several years ago? Seem to think it was called something like "until the can ran out"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RS50 said:

Didn't Chris Morton do a book several years ago? Seem to think it was called something like "until the can ran out"

Yes he did, got it, read it twice, very good read. Written well before the new BV era.

Would like a read of Dave Morton’s book.

Edited by OveFundinFan

5 hours ago, RS50 said:

until the can ran out"

It is  about his riding career and starting out .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Yes he did, got it, read it twice, very good read. Written well before the new BV era.

Would like a read of Dave Morton’s book.

...a good read and interesting background stories. Would recommend.

• Like 2

Eric Boocock "Going Round in Circles" another recommended read.

• Like 1

If you haven't yet ordered your copy of PC's autobiography, you can do so for £20 (inc UK P&P) here at www.retro-speedway.com and save a fiver on the RRP.  The 506-page book is currently being printed and you should receive it by October 31.

Meantime...

WHO, WHAT, WHERE? TRY THE PC QUOTES QUIZ

From these edited excerpts, who or what is PC referring to in his book . . . ?

“******’s old man *****, a bit of a stickler, gave me a rollicking for crashing and bending his son’s bike. I was 17 and green, hadn’t seen the place before but got no sympathy.”

“I say ******* ‘did me’ but it was my naïve mistake to keep going up the inside. I probably blamed him for what happened at the time but, to be honest, if you clip someone’s back wheel, it’s always your fault. Another reminder to ‘keep it on the tyres’.”

“He became one of England’s greats but he was always slow into the corners. It was his Achilles heel. I’m not having a go at him – you can’t argue with his superb record over a long and distinguished career. It’s just an observation.”

“I must have ruffled *****’s feathers because he confronted me after our race – I have a picture from a newspaper cutting of him taking a swing at my dad, who was trying to break it up. When your opponent gets angry enough to want to fight, you’re always well advised to keep your helmet on!”

“He didn’t say it in a menacing manner but with typical Yorkshire cockiness designed to get into my head. ****** probably felt that his mind games worked a treat, because he beat me both times we met.”

“***** legged it across the centre green, grabbed the driver by the throat and pulled him down. ***** also ended up on the ground and had to be restrained as the tractor driver, other track staff and ambulance men joined the fracas.”

******** always had a lot to say and wouldn’t hesitate to throw a punch at anybody if he thought it was justified. But it was good to have him on our side because he always had our best interests at heart.”

“It was both frightening and exhilarating at the same time.”

“When I first started riding there were some much less dedicated riders who would turn up for meetings with a dirty bike they hadn’t bothered cleaning from the night before, and ******* was one of them. His idea of cleaning the bike was to kick it with his steel shoe, to make dirt fall off it.”

“While waiting for traffic lights to turn green he’d rev the engine as hard as possible before releasing the clutch and doing wheel-spins along the road in central Manchester.”

Edited by TonyMac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyMac said:

If you haven't yet ordered you8r co-py of PC's autobiography, you can do so for £20 (inc UK P&P) here at www.retro-speedway.com and save a fiver on the RRP.  The 506-page book is currently being printed and you should receive it by October 31.

Meantime...

“******’s old man *****, a bit of a stickler, gave me a rollicking for crashing and bending his son’s bike. I was 17 and green, hadn’t seen the place before but got no sympathy.”

“I say ******* ‘did me’ but it was my naïve mistake to keep going up the inside. I probably blamed him for what happened at the time but, to be honest, if you clip someone’s back wheel, it’s always your fault. Another reminder to ‘keep it on the tyres’.”

“He became one of England’s greats but he was always slow into the corners. It was his Achilles heel. I’m not having a go at him – you can’t argue with his superb record over a long and distinguished career. It’s just an observation.”

“I must have ruffled *****’s feathers because he confronted me after our race – I have a picture from a newspaper cutting of him taking a swing at my dad, who was trying to break it up. When your opponent gets angry enough to want to fight, you’re always well advised to keep your helmet on!”

“He didn’t say it in a menacing manner but with typical Yorkshire cockiness designed to get into my head. ****** probably felt that his mind games worked a treat, because he beat me both times we met.”

“***** legged it across the centre green, grabbed the driver by the throat and pulled him down. ***** also ended up on the ground and had to be restrained as the tractor driver, other track staff and ambulance men joined the fracas.”

******** always had a lot to say and wouldn’t hesitate to throw a punch at anybody if he thought it was justified. But it was good to have him on our side because he always had our best interests at heart.”

“When I first started riding there were some much less dedicated riders who would turn up for meetings with a dirty bike they hadn’t bothered cleaning from the night before, and ******* was one of them. His idea of cleaning the bike was to kick it with his steel shoe, to make dirt fall off it.”

“While waiting for traffic lights to turn green he’d rev the engine as hard as possible before releasing the clutch and doing wheel-spins along the road in central Manchester.”

I think "Wilky" might be the one with the tractor driver .

If it isn't, it definitely could have happened somewhere..... :D

My first hero as a 3 year old kid...B)

My 2nd a couple of years later, (and still the best exponent of racing a bike from the back, and therefore most exciting rider that I have ever watched).... 

PC...

And lucky enough to get to watch him for over a decade every week at one of the greatest tracks that ever existed..

Would love to see a PC in his pomp today around the NSS...

Book will be ordered...

Edit: As a side note. There are plenty of reasons as to why crowds dropped off hugely from the mid 80's, however PC becoming "just ok" and therefore not blitzing the rest of the world regularly  on TV during the summer on WOS, in a style that was truly "box office" was, for me, a large contributory factor...

He was truly a "household name" in the mid 70's to early 80's...

You could watch him just after 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and then watch him in the flesh just a few hours later..

Sadly, as "gate and go" took over on slicker tracks, so did lots of the excitement...

As I say..

Box Office..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

I imagine Dave Jessup is the answer to one of the quotes?

• Like 1

Spoke with my son this day and in among asked him if he'd had any response to the message he left on the phone re the book? 

The answer was, as I expected, no. It's getting on to 2 months now since it was ordered. Has anyone else had this problem of non-communication?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

Spoke with my son this day and in among asked him if he'd had any response to the message he left on the phone re the book? 

The answer was, as I expected, no. It's getting on to 2 months now since it was ordered. Has anyone else had this problem of non-communication?

Won't be out until end of October due to extra material being added.

Just now, TINYS said:

Won't be out until end of October due to extra material being added.

Yes I was aware of that, but my son, who is not a speedway supporter in any way, was concerned that he'd had no response to the message he sent

I said I would enquire on the forum. I don't expect that my son will get a response but that's how it is with things these days.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

Yes I was aware of that, but my son, who is not a speedway supporter in any way, was concerned that he'd had no response to the message he sent

I said I would enquire on the forum. I don't expect that my son will get a response but that's how it is with things these days.

Okay

4 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

If you haven't yet ordered your copy of PC's autobiography, you can do so for £20 (inc UK P&P) here at www.retro-speedway.com and save a fiver on the RRP.  The 506-page book is currently being printed and you should receive it by October 31.

Meantime...

On 10/8/2022 at 1:53 PM, TonyMac said:

Apparently Collins is signing copies of his book at some pub near Belle Vue on 27 October.  

A bit unfair if people can walk up and just buy a copy there, and get it before the people who paid for the advance copy back in the spring and have been waiting 5 months.

• Like 1