British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, 89buttons said:

Ben cook and jaimon lidsey are 5 & 4 years older than rew tho. How did Ben cook get on in the world u21 series 5 years back? Rew miles ahead at 20 on the continent, needs to sort his gating out big time in uk but his ceiling is closer to lidsey than cook imo. That said I like both the cook lads decent riders, be happy with either at Foxhall next year

To be fair - Lidsey tho he's been about a few years and is a SWC rider etc - I keep thinking he is much older than 24! Id say he is a senior Aussie now for sure

• Like 1

bit of a slow afternoon, so put together some sort of teams IF they persuade Glasgow to come to the top table and make it a 6 team top tier again

so if Ipswich went down the route of

1. Sayfutdinov
2. Rew
3. Douglas
4. B Cook
5. Doyle
6. D Thompson
7. Boughen

Belle Vue - 1. Kurtz 2. Blodorn 3. Wright 4. Brennan 5. Lidsey 6. Z Cook 7. Bailey
Kings Lynn - 1. R Lambert 2. Breum 3. Becker 4. Klindt 5. King 6. S Lambert 7. Rowe 
Sheffield - 1. Woffinden 2. Howarth 3. Pickering 4. Ellis 5. C Holder 6. Wojdylo 7. Gilkes
Leicester - 1. Fricke 2. Kerr 3. Lawson 4. R Worrall 5. Masters 6. Riss 7. Kemp
Glasgow - 1. Musielak 2. Basso 3. Harris 4. Tarasenko 5. Bewley 6. Jenkins 7. Edwards

How would the witches fare against comparible teams?

One thing I have noticed is that if they did only have 6 sides next season there would ultimately be a few riders without top flight rides who you could argue should be in there, missing a fair few from that list above

18 hours ago, BassoRacingFan said:

Artem Laguta is fit for Thursday.

Ipswich fans might be pleasantly surprised on Thursday. I can see a 60-30 scoreline for the Panthers.

For once I'm hoping you are right :t:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

bit of a slow afternoon, so put together some sort of teams IF they persuade Glasgow to come to the top table and make it a 6 team top tier again

1. Sayfutdinov
2. Rew
3. Douglas
4. B Cook
5. Doyle
6. D Thompson
7. Boughen

Belle Vue - 1. Kurtz 2. Blodorn 3. Wright 4. Brennan 5. Lidsey 6. Z Cook 7. Bailey
Kings Lynn - 1. R Lambert 2. Breum 3. Becker 4. Klindt 5. King 6. S Lambert 7. Rowe 
Sheffield - 1. Woffinden 2. Howarth 3. Pickering 4. Ellis 5. C Holder 6. Wojdylo 7. Gilkes
Glasgow - 1. Musielak 2. Basso 3. Harris 4. Tarasenko 5. Bewley 6. Jenkins 7. Edwards

One thing I have noticed is that if they did only have 6 sides next season there would ultimately be a few riders without top flight rides who you could argue should be in there, missing a fair few from that list above

If you are proposing a full season of fixtures, what makes you think that the Polish Extraliga will release riders that they have contracted?

IMO if there is to be any sort of 'senior' league then it will take the form of an early season competition to include any 'Superstars' that can be afforded, within a suitable line-up (5man; 6 man or even 7 man)

THose teams could then also compete in a strengthened Championship, on their chosen racenights and without the 'Superstars' to a sensible team building average.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I find age a total red herring, JL was a novice at 28, Lee British champ at 17 I think. I'm also uninterested in performance outside of the UK but was merely responding to the 'best young aussie' and jawing with Baldyman. No doubt these riders will all improve. 

It’s not just about age but experience, cook for example in his 3rd year in uk speedway, if rew is only a 4.8 rider in 3 years I’d be very surprised.

in terms of the best young Aussie tag he is the current Aussie u21 champ - surely a good metric for that claim.

currently 2nd in the sgp2 standings also

Edited by 89buttons
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

It’s not just about age but experience, cook for example in his 3rd year in uk speedway, if rew is only a 4.8 rider in 3 years I’d be very surprised.

in terms of the best young Aussie tag he is the current Aussie u21 champ - surely a good metric for that claim.

currently 2nd in the sgp2 standings also

Yes that's right in terms of stats, suppose I just have a different view of young, anyone under 30 :).  B Cook has only really progressed since being in the Premiership this season though in my view.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If you are proposing a full season of fixtures, what makes you think that the Polish Extraliga will release riders that they have contracted?

IMO if there is to be any sort of 'senior' league then it will take the form of an early season competition to include any 'Superstars' that can be afforded, within a suitable line-up (5man; 6 man or even 7 man)

THose teams could then also compete in a strengthened Championship, on their chosen racenights and without the 'Superstars' to a sensible team building average.

that would certainly work if the early comp is 1 home vs 1 away set up with a play off system

but not sure how many of those riders have not done the UK for a full season before anyway,  so sure most listed would be allowed to compete a full season in the UK as normal if they wanted to, I guess that does not mean that during the season they might want to move the goalposts

39 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

1. Sayfutdinov
2. Rew
3. Douglas
4. B Cook
5. Doyle
6. D Thompson
7. Boughen

Would prefer a stronger reserve.  Think Premiership is beyond Boughen for next year - if he is included then will need a stronger partner than Dan T.

That ipswich team will finish near on last,,, strength in depth teams would kick it's behind,,, but it's only a bit fun so doesn't matter 

Now till march is my favourite time on here with people putting some league losing teams together :rofl:

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

For once I'm hoping you are right :t:

First time for everything - to be fair there is a chance so lets all crash the updates site tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

That ipswich team will finish near on last,,, strength in depth teams would kick it's behind,,, but it's only a bit fun so doesn't matter 

Now till march is my favourite time on here with people putting some league losing teams together :rofl:

Mine is the - 'Oh I have heard from a reliable source that it is x to Ipswich' rumours :rofl:

Edited by GeneralMelchett

2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

1. Sayfutdinov
2. Rew
3. Douglas
4. B Cook
5. Doyle
6. D Thompson
7. Boughen

Musielak is staying at Sheffield, needs to be first name on team sheet

7 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Musielak is staying at Sheffield, needs to be first name on team sheet

i don't know anything just plotting how some teams COULD line up and to compare possible team strengths

Only put Musielak at Glasgow based on Glasgow moving up, having money, and I do recall Musielak stating after a GP challenge once how much he loved the track, then take into consideration they have Tarasenko his mate and have had Nowak there this season too, 2+2 = 4,321 ha

I think Sheffield if Woffy wants to race in the UK full-time could opt for Tai over Tobi because they might feel they will get more through the gate for Tai but who knows too early to serious start breaking things down

I personally feel if its 6 teams in the prem, they need to either do 45 points and make the RS for championship only perhaps making the 6 & 7 in the championship RS only, or if they keep the RS in the prem a 42 point limit for 6 riders then the RS

6 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

i don't know anything just plotting how some teams COULD line up and to compare possible team strengths

Only put Musielak at Glasgow based on Glasgow moving up, having money, and I do recall Musielak stating after a GP challenge once how much he loved the track, then take into consideration they have Tarasenko his mate and have had Nowak there this season too, 2+2 = 4,321 ha

I think Sheffield if Woffy wants to race in the UK full-time could opt for Tai over Tobi because they might feel they will get more through the gate for Tai but who knows too early to serious start breaking things down

I personally feel if its 6 teams in the prem, they need to either do 45 points and make the RS for championship only perhaps making the 6 & 7 in the championship RS only, or if they keep the RS in the prem a 42 point limit for 6 riders then the RS

So in your scenario are you keeping the same fixed racenights? Not sure  Glasgow would suit that?