British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EnglishRoundabout

Swindon Speedway. Your classic memories.

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pretty sure I was at that meeting. Went on the coach to an Oxford meeting in the morning and then onto White City. Two meetings in one day. Had a running race around the white City track if I recall.

As I followed both teams I can't recall 'dual' meetings if I'm honest? Swindon had plenty of luck going winning at Wood Lane as I do remember the likes of Gordon Kennett and Dag Lovass both suffering with engine problems at critical moments?

Edited by steve roberts

Getting the green Bristol Omnibus from Cavi Square to Blunsdon on a Saturday night, getting off near stadium in traffic jam and running the rest of way. Sometimes the bus would set off at final heat of second-half, so watched race from top deck to avoid missing it. Normally Briggs, Ashby, Kilby, Broady in final. A young Rosco, about 5, going round as mascot.

Climbing in, 1968 GB v Sweden, the queue to climb in was longer than the turnstile one. Officially 12000 there, but many more inside. Fantastic racing that night.

The night Mac Woolford hit lamp standard, sparks shooting out. When Broady crashed in front of us on bend 1-2 and broke his leg. Keener bouncing off pit gate.

The blood curdling shrieks coming from the back-straight bogs:D

Dave Bellego, the Flying Frenchman, winning the last 2 heats at Zummerzet for a 46-44 Swindon victory.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pretty sure I was at that meeting. Went on the coach to an Oxford meeting in the morning and then onto White City. Two meetings in one day. Had a running race around the white City track if I recall.

This coach went to the afternoon meeting and then on the way back went to Reading vs Birmingham, I think.

We wasn't  told on the way that we would be going to two meetings so my dad was lucky he had enough money on him.

32 minutes ago, Tric trac said:

Is there anywhere you can check on past results from the 70s as I need to know if it was birmingham or not lol

Speedwayresearcher has all the results and heat details from every year.

44 minutes ago, Tric trac said:

This coach went to the afternoon meeting and then on the way back went to Reading vs Birmingham, I think.

We wasn't  told on the way that we would be going to two meetings so my dad was lucky he had enough money on him.

Yes Birmingham were at Reading that same day.

I'm guessing it was Easter Monday (19th April)?

Edited by steve roberts

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes Birmingham were at Reading that same day.

I'm guessing it was Easter Monday (19th April)?

Was that 1977?

14 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Speedwayresearcher has all the results and heat details from every year.

Cheers bruv

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

As I followed both teams I can't recall 'dual' meetings if I'm honest? Swindon had plenty of luck going winning at Wood Lane as I do remember the likes of Gordon Kennett and Dag Lovass both suffering with engine problems at critical moments?

Have a feeling the Oxford meeting was not against Swindon, but the away team won. If someone has the 1975 fixture list this can be looked up.

Edit the sad part of me has just looked it up and it was 1976 when Swindon won at White City 35-43. The Oxford meeting must be a figment of my imagination as Oxford didn’t run the same day. We are talking way back when I was a 17 year old lad.

White City v Swindon Monday 19th April 1976 (Gulf Oil British League)
WhiteCity
1.DagLovaas
2. Trevor Geer
3. Gordon Kennett 4. Richard Hellsen 5. Richard Greer 6. Neil Cameron 7. Paul Gachet
Swindon
1. Martin Ashby
2. Norman Hunter 3. Bob Kilby
4. Bobby McNeil 5. Soren Karlsson 6. Geoff Bouchard 7. David Ashby

Ht 01: M.Ashby, Lovaas, Geer, Hunter
Ht 02: Bouchard, Gachet, D.Ashby, Cameron (ret) Ht 03: Greer, McNeil, Hellsen, Karlsson
Ht 04: Kennett, Kilby, D.Ashby, Cameron (ret)
Ht 05: M.Ashby, Hellsen, Hunter, Greer
Ht 06: Kilby, Lovaas, Geer, Bouchard (ef)
Ht 07: Karlsson, McNeil, Gachet, Kennett (ef)
Ht 08: Geer, Hunter, D.Ashby, Lovaas (ef)
Ht 09: Kilby, Greer, Bouchard, Hellsen
Ht 10: Kennett, McNeil, Karlsson, Lovaas
Ht 11: Kennett, M.Ashby, Greer, Hunter
Ht 12: Kilby, Karlsson, Hellsen, Lovaas
Ht 13: Kennett, M.Ashby, Greer, McNeil
35-43

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Have a feeling the Oxford meeting was not against Swindon, but the away team won. If someone has the 1975 fixture list this can be looked up.

Edit the sad part of me has just looked it up and it was 1976 when Swindon won at White City 35-43. The Oxford meeting must be a figment of my imagination as Oxford didn’t run the same day. We are talking way back when I was a 17 year old lad.

White City v Swindon Monday 19th April 1976 (Gulf Oil British League)
WhiteCity
1.DagLovaas
2. Trevor Geer
3. Gordon Kennett 4. Richard Hellsen 5. Richard Greer 6. Neil Cameron 7. Paul Gachet
Swindon
1. Martin Ashby
2. Norman Hunter 3. Bob Kilby
4. Bobby McNeil 5. Soren Karlsson 6. Geoff Bouchard 7. David Ashby

Ht 01: M.Ashby, Lovaas, Geer, Hunter
Ht 02: Bouchard, Gachet, D.Ashby, Cameron (ret) Ht 03: Greer, McNeil, Hellsen, Karlsson
Ht 04: Kennett, Kilby, D.Ashby, Cameron (ret)
Ht 05: M.Ashby, Hellsen, Hunter, Greer
Ht 06: Kilby, Lovaas, Geer, Bouchard (ef)
Ht 07: Karlsson, McNeil, Gachet, Kennett (ef)
Ht 08: Geer, Hunter, D.Ashby, Lovaas (ef)
Ht 09: Kilby, Greer, Bouchard, Hellsen
Ht 10: Kennett, McNeil, Karlsson, Lovaas
Ht 11: Kennett, M.Ashby, Greer, Hunter
Ht 12: Kilby, Karlsson, Hellsen, Lovaas
Ht 13: Kennett, M.Ashby, Greer, McNeil
35-43

I think white city took over from Oxford and only lasted a few seasons.

Soren karlsson brings back memories and soren sjosten riding for Birmingham.

1 hour ago, Tric trac said:

I think white city took over from Oxford and only lasted a few seasons.

Soren karlsson brings back memories and soren sjosten riding for Birmingham.

Yes Oxford's British League License was transfered to White City when Cowley looked to be developed when sold by "Bristol Stadium Ltd" (Clark Osborne...recognise the name?) until the SOS Committee saved the stadium and Oxford ran in the New National League. White City ran as a league team for three season before transferring to Eastboune (Bob Dugard's other interest) although remained a big meeting venue until it was finally demolished in 1984.

I can remember visiting Swindon on the Birmingham Supporters' Club coach one Saturday night in 1957. and watching the Brummies battered to the tune of 77-19 and just to compound our embarrassment, the Birmingham Team Manager didn't get to the stadium until the second half scratch races were underway, and had the team's race jackets with him, so our team had to race without wearing any body colours! 

Monday's Daily Express carried the back page story that the Referee Cecil Telling had sent a report to the Speedway Control Board suggesting that Birmingham should be thrown out of the league.

Ironically, in the return match at Perry Barr on July 31st 1957, the Brummies became the first team to defeat Swindon in a league fixture in what was to be the Robins Championship winning season - only for the Brummies Promoter Les Marshall to come to the microphone immediately after the last heat to inform supporters that he was shutting down the Perry Barr track and withdrawing the team from the league.

This was the last league match to be staged at this particular Perry Barr track for the next 50 years (although there was of course, racing at the other Perry Barr Stadium between 1971 and 1984, and at also at the Bordesley Green track.I vowed to never set foot into Perry Barr Stadium until speedway was restored there, and I stuck to that until it did come back in 2007.

My condolences to all Swindon supporters on the loss of their team and track. I wish you all every success in your efforts to get both of them back.

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 3:13 AM, auntie doris said:

The best race I ever saw at the Shabbey was Swindon v Exeter late 60s, Briggo and Crashby neck and neck for 4 laps, Martin winning by a few inches.

Probably 28th June, 1969, in heat 12.

Strangely enough, Martin missed the BL clash in 1968, and both Martin and Briggo missed the meeting in 1970 (and they were the three years he rode for Exeter).

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 10:55 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

I remember that well Steve. I think you ran either bare footed , or at least just with socks on!