British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

5 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The BSPL website really does its best to hide information. They put up a preview of a meeting but if it is rained off they simply delete the preview with no information as to why. This means you have to go to the fixture list to find out if the meeting is postponed or if it is simply the internet playing games. Back when Nigel Pearson was doing most of the site the preview was always replaced by a short message say the meeting was postponed for whatever the reason was and any new date if one had been agreed. 

Can someone explain in words of one syllable to BSPL that they are supposed to make it easy to follow what is happening or are words of one syllable to complex for them!

Just to clarify this, the policy regarding how postponed fixtures are displayed hasn't changed for many years, although the presentation is slightly different this year since the new website came online prior to the start of the season.

I took over responsibility for BSP website editorial a number of years ago now, and one of the things I was keen to bring in was that we would show a separate news item previewing (and subsequently reviewing) every fixture individually. (You may remember that in the very old days, the updates tended to be 2 brief news items per day, and the reason for that was the content was tailored to fit in with the space requirements of Ceefax/Teletext).

It's always been the case that if a meeting is postponed, the news item is removed and there's then a separate section on that front page where the fixture is marked as POSTPONED, along with any other relevant info, which would typically be the re-arranged date if available. As mentioned above, it looks slightly different now to the past when it was simply a text box showing results, but that information is still on the front page when a meeting is postponed.

The news item previewing the meeting is obviously removed, as to leave it there would cause confusion, and personally I wouldn't want to see separate news items reporting meetings being postponed, especially in a week like this! Individual clubs, of course, would be putting postponement news items on their own websites, but on the BSP site it is reported on the front page down the fixtures/results section on the side, which has always been the case.

We've worked over the years to add a huge amount of information to the BSP site - items such as official meeting scorecards, Green Sheets, match-by-match averages, pics from the previous night's meetings rather than standard press day shots, to name a few, but we're always open to suggestions on ways in which it can be improved. We'll look all aspects of output over the winter and happy to receive e-mails to the press office with any feasible suggestions for what you'd like to see in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Got an idea to sort out the league winners, have a best of 3 coin toss !! But don't let poole provide the coin as it will be a special double headed one :D

Or as a special measure name the 2018 triple champions the 2022 champions :t:  UTC 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Good point. Not stronger then..

Even though obviously I really want Poole to win, I'd feel bad for Bates if he had 2 teams who finished first and didn't manage to win either playoffs. 

I wouldn't feel bad in the slightest, the promoters collectively voted in the play-offs, in the hope of some big crowds & a meaningful end to the season for clubs around mid-table. In doing so they gave up any right of the winners of the "qualifying league" to be considered unlucky if they don't win the league! Or even to be considered the "most deserving" winners.

Imo if Poole finish 3rd & win the play-offs they deserve to be Champs.

However I would personally prefer no play-offs & the table toppers to be crowned champions.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 3

Personally I believe the League Table Toppers at the end of a season are the Champions and the PO winners are just that ... the PO winners ....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

Looking at the weather forecast for the week I doubt there will be any speedway this week, 

What weather forecast are you looking at? Giving dry in Poole from midweek onwards. If Wednesdays proves damp, forecast for Thursday and Friday is dry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

What weather forecast are you looking at? Giving dry in Poole from midweek onwards. If Wednesdays proves damp, forecast for Thursday and Friday is dry.

Yeah, met office just has the odd shower Weds morning then dry. Thursday and Friday look dry as you say. 

51 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Wednesday maybe ok too if as quite often happens the showers move though quicker than expected at the moment. I think they may try to run Jubilee meeting Friday if they manage to get play off done Wednesday. Just have to hope that we get some drier weather this week. 

Be interesting to see if the pairs goes ahead seeing as it's meant to be raining again in Leicester today and tomorrow. 

Edited by foreverblue

BBC news midlands weather this morning had rain pretty much all week, but just looked at met office and it’s different. Hearing what Stuart Dickinson said in his interview on BSN he needs a couple of good dry days to make a decent racing track rather than the gate and go rubbish. 

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

What people tend to forget is that shale, soil etc tends to stay a lot wetter than roads, so when we see a few dry days it doesn't mean that tracks have dried out sufficiently enough to race on. 

My kids never understand why they can't play in the garden when the sun comes out despite days of torrential rain... 

18 minutes ago, The Dog said:

What people tend to forget is that shale, soil etc tends to stay a lot wetter than roads, so when we see a few dry days it doesn't mean that tracks have dried out sufficiently enough to race on. 

My kids never understand why they can't play in the garden when the sun comes out despite days of torrential rain... 

Yes true, I am not a track expert but I have seen some very wet tracks turned around with taking the surface off and putting new shale down which mixes with the wet base to produce a good racetrack. Can this not be achieved anymore? 

1 hour ago, Gasser90 said:

BBC news midlands weather this morning had rain pretty much all week, but just looked at met office and it’s different. Hearing what Stuart Dickinson said in his interview on BSN he needs a couple of good dry days to make a decent racing track rather than the gate and go rubbish. 

bbc dorset the same rain every day.:neutral:

12 minutes ago, ray c said:

bbc dorset the same rain every day.:neutral:

I think you have to look at the met office for a more accurate up to date forecast. I think BBC get their forecast from the Met Office but I believe it is slightly delayed. 

Tell you what if David Hemsley was still in charge at Leicester there wouldn't be any problems with rainoffs he'd have commanded the weather to stay dry, but this new useless lot in charge don't have a clue about controlling weather. Never mind his transgressions, it's strong, charismatic leadership that's needed.

• Like 1