British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

4 hours ago, proud panther said:

The promotion already have a team in the Premiership, so I don't know why people are thinking Leicester won't be able to cope financially.

Don’t see what  having aTeam already in the Premiership has too do with it, if it doesn’t pay it way  somebody has to stump up some money.Surely they don’t want to lose their own money.

10 hours ago, iainb said:

Maybe the case when the leagues are almost the same strength but if there was a clear difference between the leagues it may be a different story... having said that Poole always had healthy home crowds when they were in the 2nd division before but I think they do get a good "holiday" crowd 

Makes me laugh when someone says the leagues are almost the same strength, if Leicesters table topping side was assembled in the Premiership it would be approximately 29 points, 10 below the limit. Not remotely close is it really

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:if it doesn’t pay it way  somebody has to stump up some money.Surely they don’t want to lose their own money.

Unless Covid or similar bites again there’s very little chance of the Leicester promotion going from profit to loss next year. 

6 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

Perhaps they can use the motorway blade from Swindon to fill in the pot holes in the car park for starters!

The car park is not owned by Leicester Speedway 

34 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Unless Covid or similar bites again there’s very little chance of the Leicester promotion going from profit to loss next year. 

Good news.

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

Makes me laugh when someone says the leagues are almost the same strength, if Leicesters table topping side was assembled in the Premiership it would be approximately 29 points, 10 below the limit. Not remotely close is it really

How many riders in the PL also ride in the CL?

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

How many riders in the PL also ride in the CL?

I don’t doubt it but the overall strength of the teams is totally different. Leicester had Nick Morris as no 1 (3rd in averages at Wolves), their other 2 heatleaders Richie Worrall and Kyle Howarth  (second strings in prem), second strings Connor Mountain (reserve in prem) and Dan Thompson (rising star in prem), Reserves Max Clegg (not in prem) and Joe Thompson (no 8 in prem). Any premiership team naming that lineup probably wouldn’t score a point all season.

Edited by Call me wolfie
  • Like 2

Just now, Call me wolfie said:

I don’t doubt it but look at the overall strength of the teams is totally different. Leicester had Nick Morris as no 1 (3rd in averages at Wolves), their other 2 heatleaders Richie Worrall and Kyle Howarth  (second strings in prem), second strings Connor Mountain (reserve in prem) and Dan Thompson (rising star in prem), Reserves Max Clegg (not in prem) and Joe Thompson (no 8 in prem). Any premiership team naming that lineup probably wouldn’t score a point all season.

I was genuinely asking, I don't know the exact answer, the point is, for me, it seems too many. I think Leicester and Poole would have given Peterborough and Lynn a run for their money last season

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

I was genuinely asking, I don't know the exact answer, the point is, for me, it seems too many. I think Leicester and Poole would have given Peterborough and Lynn a run for their money last season

It’s the ones that don’t double up that make the difference, which leads to prem second strings riding as champ heatleaders etc. The faces seem largely the same but the reality is totally different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Call me wolfie said:

It’s the ones that don’t double up that make the difference, which leads to prem second strings riding as champ heatleaders etc. The faces seem largely the same but the reality is totally different.

I could see quite a competitive league of Wolves, Ippo, KL, Peterborough,  Leicester, Poole & Glasgow... not much between that lot imo

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

There was a time not too long ago, well a decade or so anyway, when second tier heatleaders were generally reserve standard/lower averaged second strings in the top tier. 

We should be working towards reinstating that ability gap between leagues. Limiting doubling up then eventually knocking it completely on the head would help there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

I could see quite a competitive league of Wolves, Ippo, KL, Peterborough,  Leicester, Poole & Glasgow... not much between that lot imo

One too many Shandy’s I think

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheGuvnor said:

There was a time not too long ago, well a decade or so anyway, when second tier heatleaders were generally reserve standard/lower averaged second strings in the top tier. 

We should be working towards reinstating that ability gap between leagues. Limiting doubling up then eventually knocking it completely on the head would help there. 

The gaps not as big as it was I agree but still quite sizeable

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheGuvnor said:

Sounds good in theory, but too many of the riders doubling up rely on it to make the sport pay.

7 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Sounds good in theory, but too many of the riders doubling up rely on it to make the sport pay.

All our own (British Speedway) doing unfortunately, and now we've made a rod for our own back.

PL heat leaders seemed quite happy for years and years, maybe wth the odd guest booking in the EL. Now we're expected to bend over backwards to give them 2 teams in broadly similar leagues. Painted ourselves into a corner.

• Like 5