British Speedway Forum

Baseball ?   A certain South London Market trader described it as Silly Boys Rounders.

Works for me

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Ask world wide who Babe Ruth is,, then ask world wide who Ivan Mauger is,,, and see who wins that. 

Could try the same with the Yankees and Red sox and Poole Pirates and Belle Vue 

He's a pig isn't he? LOL

Edited by Trees
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Trees said:

He's a pig isn't he? LOL

..lives in the city apparently.:lol:

15 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

I was once told by a promoter a couple of years ago that they sold between 3 and 4 hundred programmes a meeting, and their average gate was around the 1500 mark. With the price increases just to get in amongst everything else, I’d imagine that number will fall further and surely the programme will be one of the main things sacrificed for those feeling the pinch. 

I think it's nice for collectors to still be able to have a programme, but if clubs are only selling about a third in comparison to the attendance, then they should do what Scunthorpe do, which is a basic programme for £1. 

15 hours ago, Dodger Blue said:

I made a decision to buy a programme at the first meeting I attended in 1976, I have purchased a programme at every meeting since. 

They are stored on boxes and every now and then get a viewing brining back memories that would otherwise disappear.

I am definitely in the yes to a programme camp !!

I'm with you, my programme collection goes back to the late 1950's 

15 hours ago, TheGuvnor said:

It’s time for the sport to move into the future. That being an app with a scorecard that updates automatically. They could even charge a small nominal fee to use it across a season and might even turn a profit. Shock horror. 

I appreciate we are living in a modern world, but it's often been said, so many of the older generation don't have modern mobile phones that can download Apps, I'm one of them.
It's not just a case of cost, but the older you get, the harder it becomes to learn and understand many things in life, and modern technology is one.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I appreciate we are living in a modern world, but it's often been said, so many of the older generation don't have modern mobile phones that can download Apps, I'm one of them.
It's not just a case of cost, but the older you get, the harder it becomes to learn and understand many things in life, and modern technology is one.

Absolutely, so offer both. Programmes for those who still buy them and apps and electronic scorecards for others. Everyone's a winner.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Trees said:

Hope not, a programme doubles as a shield to keep the muck off ya!

Might be an App for that !

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

I'm with you, my programme collection goes back to the late 1950's 

My Wolves programmes commence from 1950. I almost prefer the older ones which were just 8 pages, simple. There seems to be more adverts than anything else in today's programmes. Of course I realise that may be the only thing keeping the programme in existence. Football is going the way of getting rid of them. Quite a few clubs have reverted to digital only including  I think Derby County. For me that will be a sad day if that happens with speedway ( I also collect physical CD's and vintage american comics, so it's my thing)

Stopped wasting money on programmes a few years ago. Use/read once, stick up in the loft. Still got a load, but not adding to it other than for 'big' meetings. Its interesting to read what the promoter/team manager/other think in each programme but they are generally regurgitating the same basic words. I can get enough off the t'internet these days......

Had my own spreadsheet, but now use an app (manually have to enter teams and scores, but it works out heat line ups, cumulative team and rider scores, etc) and costs nowt. With ever increasing entrance costs and my petrol costs (100 mile+ round trip to Kings Lynn), a programme is a cost I can happily live without these days. 

And before anyone asks, no I'm not a youngster, I'm approaching 60 faster than I would like, but I am tech savvy

Edited by kelvinht

22 hours ago, Beowulf said:

My Wolves programmes commence from 1950. I almost prefer the older ones which were just 8 pages, simple. There seems to be more adverts than anything else in today's programmes. Of course I realise that may be the only thing keeping the programme in existence. Football is going the way of getting rid of them. Quite a few clubs have reverted to digital only including  I think Derby County. For me that will be a sad day if that happens with speedway ( I also collect physical CD's and vintage american comics, so it's my thing)

100% with you on EVERY point you make.

11 hours ago, kelvinht said:

Stopped wasting money on programmes a few years ago. Use/read once, stick up in the loft. Still got a load, but not adding to it other than for 'big' meetings. Its interesting to read what the promoter/team manager/other think in each programme but they are generally regurgitating the same basic words. I can get enough off the t'internet these days......

Had my own spreadsheet, but now use an app (manually have to enter teams and scores, but it works out heat line ups, cumulative team and rider scores, etc) and costs nowt. With ever increasing entrance costs and my petrol costs (100 mile+ round trip to Kings Lynn), a programme is a cost I can happily live without these days. 

And before anyone asks, no I'm not a youngster, I'm approaching 60 faster than I would like, but I am tech savvy

Count your blessings, I'm nearly 80.:party:

• Like 1

The difference between speedway programmes and those at most other events is that filling the programme in is part of the event in itself. That’s where the money is made from them and perhaps they prevail while football, with a much bigger audience, is turning away from a physical entity because they don’t make money and are a waste of resources (business head on here, not knocking those who collect programmes).

If I had a club I’d be going digital with an app. Give the option for the fan to have the score update automatically or to fill it in if they so wish. For those who want a physical race card it’s as simple as printing them a race card for the meeting off as they enter the stadium, for a small fee to cover the printing. Better for the environment, cheaper for the club and customer and keeps those happy that like the interactive element that scorecard filling provides. 

2 hours ago, TheGuvnor said:

The difference between speedway programmes and those at most other events is that filling the programme in is part of the event in itself. That’s where the money is made from them and perhaps they prevail while football, with a much bigger audience, is turning away from a physical entity because they don’t make money and are a waste of resources (business head on here, not knocking those who collect programmes).

If I had a club I’d be going digital with an app. Give the option for the fan to have the score update automatically or to fill it in if they so wish. For those who want a physical race card it’s as simple as printing them a race card for the meeting off as they enter the stadium, for a small fee to cover the printing. Better for the environment, cheaper for the club and customer and keeps those happy that like the interactive element that scorecard filling provides. 

But whatabout all the reading matter (stats and columns) that we like to read in the prog?

On 12/14/2022 at 1:43 PM, Skidder1 said:

If your club only has income from admissions, programme sales, advertising and sponsorship, then true fans would surely buy a programme to support their club?! Wouldn't they?

Embarrassing comment this!! 

• Like 1