British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, TheGuvnor said:

The difference between speedway programmes and those at most other events is that filling the programme in is part of the event in itself. That’s where the money is made from them and perhaps they prevail while football, with a much bigger audience, is turning away from a physical entity because they don’t make money and are a waste of resources (business head on here, not knocking those who collect programmes).

If I had a club I’d be going digital with an app. Give the option for the fan to have the score update automatically or to fill it in if they so wish. For those who want a physical race card it’s as simple as printing them a race card for the meeting off as they enter the stadium, for a small fee to cover the printing. Better for the environment, cheaper for the club and customer and keeps those happy that like the interactive element that scorecard filling provides. 

I don't think football teams are turning away from a physical programme, the Premier league team I support certainly have a programme and has alot more in it than a Speedway programme and is 3.50 which compared to the 3.00 for a Speedway programme is a bargain considering  how much information is in it. 

36 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I don't think football teams are turning away from a physical programme, the Premier league team I support certainly have a programme and has alot more in it than a Speedway programme and is 3.50 which compared to the 3.00 for a Speedway programme is a bargain considering  how much information is in it. 

Football programmes are hardly a significant cost or income to a Premier League club, unlike a speedway club many of whom get no extra income from their stadium, just extra costs.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Further down the pyramid they are, with cost being a key factor. Comparing Premier League football to speedway at any level is disingenuous of course because the money involved and levels of revenue are chalk and cheese. I dread to think of what level of football speedway equates to. 

These things are subjective but £3.50 for an A5 magazine chock full of adverts and content that can be found online doesn’t strike me as value. Each to their own of course. 

15 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Football programmes are hardly a significant cost or income to a Premier League club, unlike a speedway club many of whom get no extra income from their stadium, just extra costs.

That is true, I always buy a programme personally as I know it helps the club

26 minutes ago, TheGuvnor said:

Further down the pyramid they are, with cost being a key factor. Comparing Premier League football to speedway at any level is disingenuous of course because the money involved and levels of revenue are chalk and cheese. I dread to think of what level of football speedway equates to. 

These things are subjective but £3.50 for an A5 magazine chock full of adverts and content that can be found online doesn’t strike me as value. Each to their own of course. 

There are as many adverts in a Speedway programme as the football one I buy. Most Speedway content can be found on line too, I buy a Speedway programme mainly as it helps the club  I buy a football programme for the content, I know it makes little or no difference in the football clubs revenue. 

Edited by foreverblue

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

There are as many adverts in a Speedway programme as the football one I buy. Most Speedway content can be found on line too, I buy a Speedway programme mainly as it helps the club  I buy a football programme for the content, I know it makes little or no difference in the football clubs revenue. 

Absolutely. I see neither as good value for money. A Speedway programme even less so. 

Edited by TheGuvnor

5 hours ago, Trees said:

But whatabout all the reading matter (stats and columns) that we like to read in the prog?

They stopped doing stats in the Peterborough Programme a few years ago and as for the reading content thats something I have suggested for years but it’s in short supply.

At £3.00 I just don’t think they are worth buying, I do get a copy with my ST but if they didn’t I doubt I would buy one.

• Like 3

What a sad indictment of the state of British Speedway that only one Brit is in the King's Lynn team for 2023 and that is only because of the Rising Star requirement. My personal view, and I am prepared to be shot down, is that one of the worst things ever done was to do away with second halves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wembleyfan said:

What a sad indictment of the state of British Speedway that only one Brit is in the King's Lynn team for 2023 and that is only because of the Rising Star requirement. My personal view, and I am prepared to be shot down, is that one of the worst things ever done was to do away with second halves.

Nothing stopping clubs doing a few races after a short interval for up and coming youngsters, we were supposed to get junior matches after Premiership fixtures this year but it never happened.

28 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Nothing stopping clubs doing a few races after a short interval for up and coming youngsters, we were supposed to get junior matches after Premiership fixtures this year but it never happened.

It happened frequently at Wolves?

Lynn were strongly rumoured to br running an NL side in 2023, disappointing that it didn't come to fruition.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

All Premiership Junior League matches were completed in the Northern section, apart from the final (winner's of Northern section v Southern winners), which could not happen, as Southern section not completed.

11 hours ago, Wembleyfan said:

They were nearly all staged managed between the riders though ....

2 hours ago, RS50 said:

All Premiership Junior League matches were completed in the Northern section, apart from the final (winner's of Northern section v Southern winners), which could not happen, as Southern section not completed.

Bit pathetic that they had to regionalise it in a six team league and then they still couldn’t complete the fixtures. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Trees said:

They were nearly all staged managed between the riders though ....

Made for entertaining finals - riders shared prize money equally