British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, TheGuvnor said:

Bit pathetic that they had to regionalise it in a six team league and then they still couldn’t complete the fixtures. 

They’re school age so expecting them to travel from the midlands or Manchester to Kings Lynn or Ipswich on a school night isn’t really on is it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Made for entertaining finals - riders shared prize money equally 

Yeah but I don't wanna see contrived races, perhaps others might I guess .....

7 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

They’re school age so expecting them to travel from the midlands or Manchester to Kings Lynn or Ipswich on a school night isn’t really on is it.

Some are school age. Travelling to race is part and parcel of the sport. Always has been. 

47 minutes ago, Trees said:

Yeah but I don't wanna see contrived races, perhaps others might I guess .....

Promoters in those days realised they were in entertainment business. Well remember Cyril Crane pantomimes with refs. Storming up to the box, the crowd roaring as they watched Cyril jumping up and down and wagging finger while talking to ref. Pure entertainment. Cyril was never fined but then he never swore at ref while he asked the ref if he wanted sugar with his tea and would he like a bar of choccy. Of course, we on terraces could only see Cyril and not hear him. If only we had known 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Promoters in those days realised they were in entertainment business. Well remember Cyril Crane pantomimes with refs. Storming up to the box, the crowd roaring as they watched Cyril jumping up and down and wagging finger while talking to ref. Pure entertainment. Cyril was never fined but then he never swore at ref while he asked the ref if he wanted sugar with his tea and would he like a bar of choccy. Of course, we on terraces could only see Cyril and not hear him. If only we had known 

I want to see passion shown by riders, promoters and track staff but not contrived races ......

9 hours ago, Trees said:

I want to see passion shown by riders, promoters and track staff but not contrived races ......

Yea absolutely don’t we all BUT it’s entertainment/ sport  or sport /entertainment industry either way going back to those days the crowds was massive compared to today promoters knew how to promote rather than take people for granted- American wrestling is contrived rubbish but they do wrestle in full stadiums. 
Not comparing speedway to wrestling but fans want some controversy even when Buster went into the refs box it got the crowd going . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Haza said:

Yea absolutely don’t we all BUT it’s entertainment/ sport  or sport /entertainment industry either way going back to those days the crowds was massive compared to today promoters knew how to promote rather than take people for granted- American wrestling is contrived rubbish but they do wrestle in full stadiums. 
Not comparing speedway to wrestling but fans want some controversy even when Buster went into the refs box it got the crowd going . 

Of course we do! When the authorities realise rivallry between teams, any rider, manager or promoter showing how passionate they are, the better!!

I'm all for passion, there's not enough of it in British speedway but seventies style punch-ups and referee's box storming isn't my cup of tea and wouldn't work nowadays IMO, it was 'of its time'. I do agree with Haza though, I think American wrestling is the biggest load of tripe out there but its a show that people flock to and it fills huge arenas and stadiums. We need some of that somehow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm all for passion, there's not enough of it in British speedway but seventies style punch-ups and referee's box storming isn't my cup of tea and wouldn't work nowadays IMO, it was 'of its time'. I do agree with Haza though, I think American wrestling is the biggest load of tripe out there but its a show that people flock to and it fills huge arenas and stadiums. We need some of that somehow.

Isn't that wrestling stuff though pretty much the same as the 70's style speedway punch ups and people spouting over the mic.I don't watch the wrestling because the snippets I have seen is all pantomime stuff,a little like 70's speedway :D.Give me big daddy and cat weasel any time:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, castrolargh said:

Likewise

Nicki Pedersen like him or not is possibly the last rider of a generation with a certain something that got a reaction from the fans he’s marmite definitely but he is box office 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Isn't that wrestling stuff though pretty much the same as the 70's style speedway punch ups and people spouting over the mic.I don't watch the wrestling because the snippets I have seen is all pantomime stuff,a little like 70's speedway :D.Give me big daddy and cat weasel any time:lol:

Oh no it's not.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

How’s about Kendo Nagasaki, Japanese Samurai.    AKA Peter Thornley. You just couldn’t make it up.:party:

6 hours ago, tellboy said:

Yes but look at the crowd numbers they attract.

12 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes but look at the crowd numbers they attract.

Hopefully Pedersen will concentrate his efforts in Poland, Denmark and Sweden.....