British Speedway Forum

39 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

What a shambles but no surprise as Chapman couldn’t run a drinks party in a brewery! I feel sorry for loyal Star fans who deserve better than this incompetent clown. He was useless at the BSPA together with the equally stupid Mr Godfrey and clearly at KL and Pboro…what a depressing state of affairs these clubs are now in, all down to Chapmans disastrous mismanagement. The sooner Chapman gets out of speedway the better. 

Peterborough yes but King's Lynn's mess is down to Alex and Dale.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Peterborough yes but King's Lynn's mess is down to Alex and Dale.

Chapman owns the clubs and he is responsible full stop. 

49 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

If it hadn't been for Buster saving the club back in the 90's, we might not have had speedway in Norfolk since that time. So we've got a lot to thank him for.

That’s all well and good but that doesn’t excuse Chapman for his total incompetence in overseeing the demise of speedway during his time at BSPA and with what is happening at KL and Boro now! He’s is utterly useless and true fans will realise that… they are not stupid. 

1 minute ago, Speedtiger said:

That’s all well and good but that doesn’t excuse Chapman for his total incompetence in overseeing the demise of speedway during his time at BSPA and with what is happening at KL and Boro now! He’s is utterly useless and true fans will realise that… they are not stupid. 

So you think Alex Brady left King's Lynn because of Keith Chapman? Like I said you are clueless.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

So you think Alex Brady left King's Lynn because of Keith Chapman? Like I said you are clueless.

I didn’t suggest that at all. I understand Brady left for “personal” reasons. What I do say is Chapman owns KL and as such he can not avoid his responsibilities. 

3 hours ago, Gasser90 said:

Sad sad state of affairs at lynn and pboro, you can be sure that they will be the bottom two teams in the league and at this stage I would say it’s highly unlikely they will both come to the tapes next year, British speedway is slowly dying. Such a shame for the sport in east anglia 

I agree.

4 hours ago, Gasser90 said:

British speedway is slowly dying. Such a shame for the sport in east anglia 

Slowly dying ..... yes absolutely, but not just over the last 5 - 10 years as many now seem to think ! 

Take a look at how many teams were competing in DIv 1 and 2 around 30 - 40 years ago ....... British Speeday had its "time in the sun" during the 70's - 90's and has unfortunately been in a state of decline ever since,  soon to be nothing other than an amateur sport in UK.

1 minute ago, DizzAssStar said:

Slowly dying ..... yes absolutely, but not just over the last 5 - 10 years as many now seem to think ! 

Take a look at how many teams were competing in DIv 1 and 2 around 30 - 40 years ago ....... British Speeday had its "time in the sun" during the 70's - 90's and has unfortunately been in a state of decline ever since,  soon to be nothing other than an amateur sport in UK.

Absolutely this. The demise I'd exactly pinpoint to when SkySports came on board. No blame at all is to be put on them by the way, it was the promoters just totally mismanaged the whole thing, over paying rider's, not securing their own stadia etc. Zero future planning went in to the sport to which it really should have hit it's peak.

Current 80's standard stadia conditions, mismanagement etc the sport remains as a £10-£15 sport but due to economics the price has to be higher. 

British Speedway is now in a rock n' a hard place in balancing VFM & unfortunately, it's no longer in the favour of the fan.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Absolutely this. The demise I'd exactly pinpoint to when SkySports came on board. No blame at all is to be put on them by the way, it was the promoters just totally mismanaged the whole thing, over paying rider's, not securing their own stadia etc. Zero future planning went in to the sport to which it really should have hit it's peak.

Current 80's standard stadia conditions, mismanagement etc the sport remains as a £10-£15 sport but due to economics the price has to be higher. 

British Speedway is now in a rock n' a hard place in balancing VFM & unfortunately, it's no longer in the favour of the fan.

The demise started long before Sky came on board. The top flight has been in trouble since the mid/late 80s. 

Sky was the golden egg that should have sparked a new dawn but was completely mis managed by the powers that be. The demise has accelerated over the last 20 years but can be traced way back to the 80s 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

The demise started long before Sky came on board. The top flight has been in trouble since the mid/late 80s. 

Sky was the golden egg that should have sparked a new dawn but was completely mis managed by the powers that be. The demise has accelerated over the last 20 years but can be traced way back to the 80s 

Totally agree thinking back to the 80s points limit was 50or 52 ? now the limit isn’t even a win 46 that’s how much speedway year  on year has been run into the ground - sky sports money was wasted and what I see as what could have been the great relaunch was after the covid season that was the last chance saloon and what they do carry on as before . 
Buster might have his faults but as Bagpuss has said he saved KL not just the once but several times if he wasn’t around now after Brady walked out what would happen now ??

Edited by Haza

6 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I didnt start watching speedway until 1984, which is bad timing for a kid from Leicester. I dont think I have ever seen the Golden Era or even good times. Certain events boosted clubs in the short term, Henka signing for the Starts in late 91 resulted in me doing the A47 dash on Saturday nights in the Summer for a few seasons. Leicester coming back in 2011 was another event that gave the sport in the midlands a short term boost. I was up at Workington last weekend and their stadium set up is the future in the UK. Brownfield site, out of town centre. Limited perm facilities but enought to make it an enjoyable afternoon. Reminded me a a smaller scale Swedish stadium.

3 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Chapman owns the clubs and he is responsible full stop. 

somone should do there home work maybe read up .

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

you know he saved 3 club right not including kings lynn ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

After loosing Fred today if anyone can sort the club it will be Buster .

• Haha 1