British Speedway Forum

Curveball: reason for postponement somebody may not have been available for Monday & it's crucial King's Lynn win vs Peterborough?

Can we genuinely trust a King’s Lynn press release these days? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Haza said:

And if not an issue why cancel Mondays meeting ?

My initial thought was can a club as in Peterborough run a team in an offical match if theres no promotion in place  ,

But as the statement is from Lynn it appears to be an issue from that end , or its been made as the meeting is at Lynn 

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HGould said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. 

He's been left with 2 teams, one with no Promoters, the other KL with an experienced but non investing one. 

With deals done by others that probably in the region of 20k to cover all costs. 

Are 1000 going to turn up at 20 quid a pop, no chance. 

The other issue which cant be kicked in to long grass IF there is a return fixture its the same scenario in reverse. 

Are we realistically looking at

BV

Sheffield 

Leicester 

Ipswich 

Poole

Oxford 

Glasgow 

Redcar 

------

Scunthorpe 

Berwick 

Edinburgh? 

Plymouth? 

Birmingham? 

Mildenhall 

Workibgton

Kent

2 Divisions next year with top league a PL CL composite and Other a CL NDL compisite

The obvious way forward at least ten years ago when Poland took over.. 

Instead we had egos wanting certain riders in their teams, rather than thinking about the wider picture..

Any team winning any league will hardly add a bum to a seat at the start of next season..

So make every team as close to each other as possible and keep it competitive..

But, most of all, keep it sustainable and credible..

• Like 2

It’s abundantly clear that KL and Panthers are in a serious financial situation and in jeopardy of trading insolvently in that case the BSPA have only one choice and that is annulment to take away the operation licenses and take over the rider assets of the clubs as they have done a number of times with other clubs that found themselves in financial trouble.
As tough as this is for fans, the plus side is it would get rid of incompetent fool Chapman from the sport once and for all and may, just may have a very slim chance of attracting a more stable owner with the required business acumen. 

19 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

It’s abundantly clear that KL and Panthers are in a serious financial situation and in jeopardy of trading insolvently in that case the BSPA have only one choice and that is annulment to take away the operation licenses and take over the rider assets of the clubs as they have done a number of times with other clubs that found themselves in financial trouble.
As tough as this is for fans, the plus side is it would get rid of incompetent fool Chapman from the sport once and for all and may, just may have a very slim chance of attracting a more stable owner with the required business acumen. 

So you'll be Introducing prospective owners? Getting your cheque book out? Buying a lottery ticket?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

So you'll be Introducing prospective owners? Getting your cheque book out? Buying a lottery ticket?

Maybe they could bring a "guest" promoter in?

Or run a PR facility (Promoter Replacement).:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

NO NO and NO! The last thing I would invest in is speedway….it’s effectively bankrupt. 

Edited by Speedtiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

NO NO and NO! The last thing I would invest in is speedway….it’s effectively bankrupt. 

Which is why one shouldn't go overboard when criticising those that do!

I haven't got a high opinion of Keith "Buster" Chapman (slimy second hand car salesman who tells a lot of lies springs to mind! ) as a person with good reason but he's put a lot of his money and time into speedway since he first bailed out King's Lynn 31 years ago in 1992 and he is a genuine speedway enthusiast. Most people on this forum wouldn't be able to do what he has done in speedway so while its looks like his time in the sport has run its course and hes made mistakes like anyone does he should be given credit for the positive things he's done in speedway, a sport which only an absolute diehard would invest money into! 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Littleze said:

I have no idea what it involves or takes to run a Speedway Club or the logistics and finances it requires..  I have run/managed football clubs.. and regardless of the level… it takes time, and commitment, so I’m reluctant to dig out individuals, however… as a (presumably) collective it’s failure upon failure year in year out.. aided and abetted by the Speedway Star.. their cosy journalism* etc are complicit imo. Do they know any other word to describe a healthy crowd (it’s always BUMPER… I mean even that word is from the 70’s) 

i think you need to let it fail, otherwise you’re just saying… this is fine by me.

LOL. Speedway Star is to journalism what Greggs is to Michelin starred cooking!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

I haven't got a high opinion of Keith "Buster" Chapman (slimy second hand car salesman who tells a lot of lies springs to mind! ) as a person with good reason but he's put a lot of his money and time into speedway since he first bailed out King's Lynn 31 years ago in 1992 and he is a genuine speedway enthusiast. Most people on this forum wouldn't be able to do what he has done in speedway so while its looks like his time in the sport has run its course and hes made mistakes like anyone does he should be given credit for the positive things he's done in speedway, a sport which only an absolute diehard would invest money into! 

RIP King Lynn speedway.  can’t see any coming back 

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

Agree. He is far from perfect, but he is a genuine enthusiast as you say. Stepping in several times to keep the Prem going, when no one else was willing to do. He can't take the blame for what's happened at Lynn this season either. He didn't pick the team or pay their wages. That was down to Alex. He has just stepped in again to try and sort a mess out.

And as for the Panthers lack of funds, the word is that promised sponsor money, never came after a fall out with Tomalin. Leaving them on a "shoestring budget" . Whether you blame Buster for that or Tomalin, depends on whether you think Buster agreed that Tomalin could sign Holder, and then went back on his word, in which case you could blame Buster. Or did Tomalin know that Holder would never ride for a Buster club again after Holdergate, but went behind KC's back, and did the deal anyway. If that was the case Buster did nothing wrong, and the problem was created by Tomalin. That seems to be where things broke down between the two. Most PB fans think it was the first version,  but right or wrong i firmly believe it was the latter.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pleasureboy60 said:

Ok you are entitled to your opinion which I respect but I am also entitled to my opinion and I feel Chapman has been a disaster for KL PB and the sport. How you can condone someone who tells lies is astonishing.

Yes Chapman may have put money into KL but only to make money, no other reason. He thought he had all the answers and could take over speedway but It’s now backfired and he wants out. His mismanagement and very limited business acumen has got him into this mess and therefore he deserves to to face the consequences. I feel really sorry for the fans who trusted and believed him. 

48 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Ok you are entitled to your opinion which I respect but I am also entitled to my opinion and I feel Chapman has been a disaster for KL PB and the sport. How you can condone someone who tells lies is astonishing.

Yes Chapman may have put money into KL but only to make money, no other reason. He thought he had all the answers and could take over speedway but It’s now backfired and he wants out. His mismanagement and very limited business acumen has got him into this mess and therefore he deserves to to face the consequences. I feel really sorry for the fans who trusted and believed him. 

King's Lynn:

Premier Trophy Champions: 2006, 2007 & 2009
Young Shield Champions: 2005
K.O. Cup Champions:  2000, 2005 2006, 2007 & 2009
Premiership Winners: 2001
Premiership table winners: 2018
Premiership Play-Finalists: 2018
Premiership KO Cup runners-up: 2018
Premier League Champions: 2006 & 2009

Peterborough:
Premiership Champions 2021

Also if you could let me know the name of your company just so I can look it up at Companies House

Thanks

7 hours ago, iainb said:

King's Lynn:

Premier Trophy Champions: 2006, 2007 & 2009
Young Shield Champions: 2005
K.O. Cup Champions:  2000, 2005 2006, 2007 & 2009
Premiership Winners: 2001
Premiership table winners: 2018
Premiership Play-Finalists: 2018
Premiership KO Cup runners-up: 2018
Premier League Champions: 2006 & 2009

Peterborough:
Premiership Champions 2021

Also if you could let me know the name of your company just so I can look it up at Companies House

Thanks

Kings Lynn 2023 Bust ?

Peterborough 2023 Bust ?

• Like 1