British Speedway Forum

So that basically confirmed Steve Worrall and Richard Lawson. Both Cooks is 4, so three riders to be named. We know that Ablitt and Drew are not likely to return. Three new riders IMO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

The man that led the Pirates to consecutive league and cup doubles, Danny King, will sadly not be a Pirate in 2023, Poole promoter Dan Ford has confirmed.

"I am absolutely devastated to have to let Danny go" he claimed, "but it was a decision that had to be made on numbers alone. We had hoped that the points limit for 2023 would have been held at 42 as per the plan agreed previously, but the reduction to 40 points has scuppered our initial plans and we had to shape things differently. I can assure Poole fans that there has been no falling out with Danny and indeed we are hopeful that he will return to us at some point in the future as he has been an outstanding Pirates. He is a brilliant person and so easy to get along with and I stress that it is only down to the numbers game. I am sure that every Poole fan will want to wish Danny all the best  and join me in thanking him for the past two years' service to the club."

King himself confirmed that there were no hard feelings  and said "To say I'm gutted is an understatement. I have really enjoyed my time as Captain of the Pirates and leading the team to the double two years running. But I understand that sometimes it just comes down to business and it's a numbers game. I would like to say a huge thank you to the fans. You have been absolutely amazing. To Danny, Matt and all at Poole speedway, thanks for the opportunity and allowing me to be captain of the Pirates. I must also make a special mention to Middlo, his track record speaks for itself and it has been a privilege to work alongside him these last two seasons. Of course, I can't forget Havvy for keeping the ship sailing on the road - it has been awesome working with him again. To David at Wessex Marine, thank you for all of your support and becoming a good friend."
"It's been an honour to wear the skull and crossbones on my chest. Hopefully it won't be for the last time. See you all at some point next season."

Based on Danny's Echo comments I get impression that maybe rider/s had been approached about signing for 2023, and maybe as Danny had not at that stage fully sorted his 2023 squad and had to let one of his H/L go to meet the new 40 points, the decision was a mutual one to allow Danny to sort now (or around time of the delayed play off final), so in a way suited both parties without Danny having to make that awful decision of which one do I let go.Just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

The man that led the Pirates to consecutive league and cup doubles, Danny King, will sadly not be a Pirate in 2023, Poole promoter Dan Ford has confirmed.

"I am absolutely devastated to have to let Danny go" he claimed, "but it was a decision that had to be made on numbers alone. We had hoped that the points limit for 2023 would have been held at 42 as per the plan agreed previously, but the reduction to 40 points has scuppered our initial plans and we had to shape things differently. I can assure Poole fans that there has been no falling out with Danny and indeed we are hopeful that he will return to us at some point in the future as he has been an outstanding Pirates. He is a brilliant person and so easy to get along with and I stress that it is only down to the numbers game. I am sure that every Poole fan will want to wish Danny all the best  and join me in thanking him for the past two years' service to the club."

King himself confirmed that there were no hard feelings  and said "To say I'm gutted is an understatement. I have really enjoyed my time as Captain of the Pirates and leading the team to the double two years running. But I understand that sometimes it just comes down to business and it's a numbers game. I would like to say a huge thank you to the fans. You have been absolutely amazing. To Danny, Matt and all at Poole speedway, thanks for the opportunity and allowing me to be captain of the Pirates. I must also make a special mention to Middlo, his track record speaks for itself and it has been a privilege to work alongside him these last two seasons. Of course, I can't forget Havvy for keeping the ship sailing on the road - it has been awesome working with him again. To David at Wessex Marine, thank you for all of your support and becoming a good friend."
"It's been an honour to wear the skull and crossbones on my chest. Hopefully it won't be for the last time. See you all at some point next season."

https://www.poole-speedway.com/news/view/2022-11-28-NUMBERS-FORCE-DANNY-TO-MOVE-ON

Now that is how you say goodbye to fans

I wonder why King was moved on rather than Worrall or Lawson especially as he was such a great captain? Anyone know?

You have to assume this is a choice (not just numbers) to fit in a 7 that has already been decided - why do we have to wait months to find out who they are - it doesn't build excitement - its just frustrating

Just now, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Based on Danny's Echo comments I get impression that maybe rider/s had been approached about signing for 2023, and maybe as Danny had not at that stage fully sorted his 2023 squad and had to let one of his H/L go to meet the new 40 points, the decision was a mutual one to allow Danny to sort now (or around time of the delayed play off final), so in a way suited both parties without Danny having to make that awful decision of which one do I let go.Just my opinion.

If Danny is heading to Brum it will not be through choice. But he does ride Birmingham very, very well and as a real number one will no doubt give them some serious clout at the top,end. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Let’s be honest. Other teams aspire to win a fraction of the trophies Poole have won in the Ford era. Glasgow even tried to buy most of the previous seasons Poole team but failed miserably.

There’s much more to it than just putting together a decent looking side. Last season proved it. When it came down to the playoffs and end of season action no one else was even close. 

The bad news for the rest is that in 2023, it’s all going to be so familiar with Pirates romping it when it matters.

Sad to see Danny King move on. Served us very well in his time with us. He must be gutted but with the low points limit we could never keep all three heat leaders. Good luck to him with his future club.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...or maybe just a wind up.

1 minute ago, Knightime said:

You have to assume this is a choice (not just numbers) to fit in a 7 that has already been decided - why do we have to wait months to find out who they are - it doesn't build excitement - its just frustrating

Absolutely a choice. Poole management always trickle feed riders throughout the winter. Has been the way since Matt took over in 99. Pretty sure as Stevie Wonder once sort of said, the team is signed sealed and will deliver in 23.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lewy said:

I wonder why King was moved on rather than Worrall or Lawson especially as he was such a great captain? Anyone know?

£££ ?

The interesting question is whether it was Matt/Danny's Option A,B orC?

22 minutes ago, lewy said:

Or they needed a haircut :t:

Chateau now, not hairdresser 

11 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If Danny is heading to Brum it will not be through choice. But he does ride Birmingham very, very well and as a real number one will no doubt give them some serious clout at the top,end. 

Maybe not but IF he had a decent offer on the table plus Danny could at that time not commit what his squad would be, and knowing the 40 points would mean letting one of the three go then maybe they reached an amicable agreement that suited all parties. Whether that be Brum or any other side.

12 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So that basically confirmed Steve Worrall and Richard Lawson. Both Cooks is 4, so three riders to be named. We know that Ablitt and Drew are not likely to return. Three new riders IMO. 

Think the 4 are obvious, it’s the last 3 ;)

1 minute ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Think the 4 are obvious, it’s the last 3 ;)

Jack Thomas is one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I think all 3 options only had 2 H/L so arguable one had to go. If Danny did have a decent offer from another club on the table then a difficult decision for whichever H/L it was in effect was avoided. Also meant Danny didnt get kept waiting which one while others snapped up the slot he was initially offered.

Nice if it was as all parties move on as friends.

12 minutes ago, lewy said:

As I have said before only way Steve is leaving Poole is if it decides to leave imo. 

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I would assume option A would have Rew and Tate in. So if they sign I think we are in option A. Option B could be just one of them and option C neither.