British Speedway Forum

47 minutes ago, ray c said:

i think this side looks good bit injury prone at 6 and 7 so i expect changes as the season progress just my opinion of course .

It feels like the bottom 2 were put together as plan B after the talk of Newman not looking fit for the start of the season and his comments about possibly being his last season. 8 points felt like 2 newcomers were pencilled in. 

Newman will be fantastic at home when and if he can stay fit.

Roynon is the odd one for me, yes the average fits but cant help thinking he'll be out for a certain Aussie when he's declared fully fit...

All hinges on Thomas but as a previous poster pointed out, home wins and experience in the tail to pick up those bonus points away from home appears to be the plan. 

Edited by DJC
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Isn't everyone with the points limit going down! Although you could argue that Brum are stronger. 

You could....but I don't think any of us will be ! :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Welcome to Poole Adam Roynon. Pirates have the best reserve pair in the league and they really should do very well against the majority of other teams 6 and 7. I have had a few good chats with Adam and he really is an approachable guy. The fans will like him a lot. Never fulfilled his early career expectations due to some horrendous injuries but if he rides to his ability we can expect 3-4 points a meeting from him. Doubt he will leave the reserve berth all season but will score. Might end up with sharing the reserve berth with Jack Thomas at the first set off GS. 

Can’t see past Poole making it a hat trick of titles. We look the best team through 1-7. While other clubs might have a better top three, they fall down in the second string or reserve berths. 

Both Worrall and Lawson will maintain their averages. The Cook brothers will definitely improve. Thomas might take a bit of time to dial in but looking at his scores last year for Oxford, he was very good until his injury. Might end up swapping with Kyle but that’s not bad news. Kyle knows the track and has a lot of experience. Should really clean up against other reserves and has the knowledge of all tracks. Can be injury prone though. And Adam might only get three rides to Kyle’s five, but will score more than Nathan last season. 

Of course injuries at any time could wreck a teams chances but if we stay fit, we really can make it three in a row.

Not sure about Thomas has been around a bit no real progress and Roynon isn’t going to improve,very poor at times.A lot riding on the Cooks IMO

Edited by Fromafar

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

Still not sure this is that good of a side based on last season 

Look at the replacements 

King - B Cook …. Although he may step up will he be as solid as King was??

B Cook - Thomas … would love to see Jack  do well as that will help my club but I can’t see him doing what Cook did last season 

Kemp - Z Cook… would expect Zack at 4 to outscore what Kemp did last season

Z Cook - Newman … can’t see Kyle doing what Cook did

Ablitt - Roynon….. Roynon should get 4-5 most weeks 

Poole had to lose riders that was obvious and while 2 of those replacements (Cook at 4 and Roynon at 7) should do better the other 3 I think Poole are much weaker than last season 

The team will win nothing with that 1-7 but there will be changes and I expect Poole to be top 4 thus in play offs 

I'm no Poole fan but the reality is every team is a bit weaker than last year man for man thats what happens when the points limit drops... However i dont think its the strongest 1-7 out there currently and also dont quite buy into the strongest reserves (Kennedy and Thompson for me) even though average wise they might start as that but Poole will be there or there about's because they always are and if the 7 named dont ride well enough they will be changed 

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Not sure about Thomas has been around a bit no real progress and Roynon isn’t going to improve,very poor at times.A lot riding on the Cooks IMO

Thomas rode when far from fit at the end of last season. I'd put money on him improving his starting average

• Like 1

Best reserve pairing in the league congratulations to Poole fair play looks a good team and then ones we all have to beat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJC said:

It feels like the bottom 2 were put together as plan B after the talk of Newman not looking fit for the start of the season and his comments about possibly being his last season. 8 points felt like 2 newcomers were pencilled in. 

Roynon is the odd one for me, yes the average fits but cant help thinking he'll be out for a certain Aussie when he's declared fully fit...

All hinges on Thomas but as a previous poster pointed out, home wins and experience in the tail to pick up those bonus points away from home appears to be the plan. 

On possible mid season change, Newman is an example of that himself.

In 2017 he started on a GSA of 6.31 for Poole. Come July he had dropped to 5.26 and was not looking so good. He was dropped before the lower av came in and replaced and come August he in fact dropped further at Leicester to 4.22 (All in Premier Lge or equivalent back then).

You can imagine if one or both  reserves climb to a 5 or even 6 based on beating other reserves mainly. It could indeed open up an avenue for s certain young Aussie who would have got experience in POL and the 1st (not Prem) Div in DK ;). Also by that time maybe schedule will no be so hectic considering we don't even start our league matches until 24th May so I assume first GSA new av will be effective from 1st July ??.

Of course if all the team is scoring well they may leave as is, but a Basso situation is an indication of what can be achieved by going for a young exciting rider on a 5 assessed GSA as he had ridden in DK but never in UK.

We shall no doubt see as the season progresses.

Edited: According to Speedway Stats he in fact rode 4 matches for Poole in 2017 with a CMA of 3.53 from his 17 rides, so the drop was even more dramatic.

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
added to message.

4 hours ago, DJC said:

According to the Speedway Star this week Newman was always in Plan A with Ablitt until the points limit dropped by 2 points (and there was an issue with a certain 5 point rider!!)

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

According to the Speedway Star this week Newman was always in Plan A with Ablitt until the points limit dropped by 2 points (and there was an issue with a certain 5 point rider!!)

Interesting as I assumed plan A was pretty much last year's team but with Jack Thomas instead of Drew.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Could the 5 pointer have been Rew ??

Number of us thought Poole were after him, but heard a rumour he wanted to much additional costs such as flights/mechanic/living costs/workshop etc as he insisted on basing himself in Poland with his partner. Rew plus Ablitt would have given Danny the comfort of Zach Cook staying at reserve. 

16 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Number of us thought Poole were after him, but heard a rumour he wanted to much additional costs such as flights/mechanic/living costs/workshop etc as he insisted on basing himself in Poland with his partner. Rew plus Ablitt would have given Danny the comfort of Zach Cook staying at reserve. 

Also Poole would have been bottom in list of priorities as well with Rew imo.

Edited by lisa-colette

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Certainly disagree with you greatly about Thomas. Started 2021 as a 3 point something reserve & ended up about 5. Then in 2022 kept his average after moving into the top 5 (in an injury hit season).

Clearly on his way up imo & a good signing for Poole.

As for Roynon looking at his average for Scunny in the Speedway Star (includes bonus points) 4.35, with a 4.89 away ave!

Edited by szkocjasid

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Interesting as I assumed plan A was pretty much last year's team but with Jack Thomas instead of Drew.

That can't have been the plan as they were 2 points above the 42 limit & Thomas has a similar average to Kemp?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Maybe if Rew had told Poole he was signing for Ippo then both clubs could have split the costs?

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

That can't have been the plan as they were 2 points above the 42 limit & Thomas has a similar average to Kemp?

If you do the British reductions I make not much over 42. So Jack for Drew fits. 

Jack is around 0.4 lower.

Edited by lisa-colette