British Speedway Forum

So, 3 points from 12 races by 3 of the Scunthorpe team,  11 points from 9 races by another 2 riders and 21 points from 10 races by the other 2 riders.

Not a chance of even getting to the league play offs with this team.Rob wants to re place all of the 3 riders who under performed last night and think of 

replacing the other 2 if he wants the team to do well this season IMO.

9 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

He’s tried time and time again (trust, I work with rob)… Drew doesn’t want to do British Speedway this year

you cant blame the lad mate he will learn alot more in Poland then the uk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, archie21 said:

So, 3 points from 12 races by 3 of the Scunthorpe team,  11 points from 9 races by another 2 riders and 21 points from 10 races by the other 2 riders.

Not a chance of even getting to the league play offs with this team.Rob wants to re place all of the 3 riders who under performed last night and think of 

Yes, agree as I said earlier Scunny need 5 riders as only Douglas and Mountain are performing, Allen and Toft are not heat leaders, Lambert unfortunately will be in the team when he is an OAP and the other 2 are well out of their depth

11 minutes ago, archie21 said:

The issue is same as all clubs looking to strengthen, whose available to replace them? The riders left unsigned are there for a reason and with greatest of respect I don't think Godfrey is going to open the chequebook and sign a rew or jesper Knudsen or equivalent. Far as HLs I can only think of batch not signed and again there's plenty evidence to why.

I don't think you have a bad side, you caught us on a good day and your changes have backfired a bit. Replace clegg with someone will score you 5/6 points a meeting and be there or thereabouts imo

One of the most baffling team changes i have ever seen. 

clegg about as useful as a one legged man in a rubbish kicking contest and ablitt worse. Shocking changed

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

The issue is same as all clubs looking to strengthen, whose available to replace them? The riders left unsigned are there for a reason and with greatest of respect I don't think Godfrey is going to open the chequebook and sign a rew or jesper Knudsen or equivalent. Far as HLs I can only think of batch not signed and again there's plenty evidence to why.

I don't think you have a bad side, you caught us on a good day and your changes have backfired a bit. Replace clegg with someone will score you 5/6 points a meeting and be there or thereabouts imo

Lowering the averages has caused a lot of this trouble.IMO

Even if there were riders available.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Lowering the averages has caused a lot of this trouble.IMO

Even if there were riders available.

You could argue that it's not the lowering of the averages is the problem, but the way certain teams have been put together.

I think the idea behind the lowering of the averages was to try and cut out the number of "big-hitters" in the CL. But it has had the opposite effect in many cases and there are riders who have come in to the CL who are not ready.

• Like 2

Whatever way you look at it , Scunnys changes have been ridiculously silly. 

Ablitt was punished last season for signing for Poole.

They used him as a 3 heat a night rider with a switch in heat 8, giving him the opposition's 1 and 2 to race against in heat 11. So the reality being he had Heat 2 and 4 to score against the opposition's #7 and improve on his average.

This was all done to accommodate, lawson, king and Worral so they didn't care if Ablitt scored a 0.

Scunthorpe don't have 3 heat leaders so I'm at a loss as to why they brought him in.

Personally I would be looking at getting Kemp back in on his inflated average (another Poole by-product) to try and steady out the second string. And looking for a 2 pointer with the same hunger as Ace.

Watched the stream this morning and Theo says ace still can't beat his old man so there's a possibility on a 4 point something?

10 minutes ago, StevePark said:

You could argue that it's not the lowering of the averages is the problem, but the way certain teams have been put together.

I think the idea behind the lowering of the averages was to try and cut out the number of "big-hitters" in the CL. But it has had the opposite effect in many cases and there are riders who have come in to the CL who are not ready.

I would say it's done the opposite, look across the country and there's no two teams built the same.

It's either take a two pointer and try and maintain a strong 1 and 5 

Take a Strong 1 3 and 5 and take two, two pointers at reserve 

Or try to maintain strength in depth with a somewhat weaker top end.

Personally I think every team should be required to have 1 X 2 pointer at 7 so that it balances out across the league and stop the reserve switch.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

I would say it's done the opposite, look across the country and there's no two teams built the same.

It's either take a two pointer and try and maintain a strong 1 and 5 

Take a Strong 1 3 and 5 and take two, two pointers at reserve 

Or try to maintain strength in depth with a somewhat weaker top end.

Personally I think every team should be required to have 1 X 2 pointer at 7 so that it balances out across the league and stop the reserve switch.

Think there is too much emphasis on the  precision of the averages,possibly a better grading system would suit.Let’s face it going to .01 is a bit ludicrous in speedway.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Was going to say don't get mountain praise, did he beat anyone but pijper and complin over the 2 legs? Decent rider but 4/5 pointer is what he is

Beat Nowak in ht 8 & Vissing in ht 14 at our place. Connor not getting many last places has been key this year.

53 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Watched the stream this morning and Theo says ace still can't beat his old man so there's a possibility on a 4 point something?

Both race on Fridays, mostly, so Theo will be with Ace, mentoring & being his Dad.

Both pulled out of a meeting abroad when Ace got injured.

I can't help but laugh at the current situation. Dropping a young talented rider in Joe Thompson for a worse rider in ablitt along with Max Clegg who struggled in a top Leicester team. For all those who said it was 'the right call' ,' it makes sense', 'sorry Joe that's speedway' I can't help but think god what absolute clanger you've dropped there. I bet Joe's family have a cheeky smile on there face knowing Joe has signed for a club on a few miles down the road for them and the Scunthorpe management are slightly red faced ! 

Edited by DiveBomb
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

100%..

To make it work though, and evenly spread out the "big hitters", a maximum average for the top 2 or 3 should have happened.. 

Every team with "money" are always going to build "top down" with their first two riders being their top two HL's..

They cover up to 8 races, not including any TS rides, so having a potential race winner 8/15 times (with HT 13 and 15 potentially being a 10-2 in your favour), is the common sense decision and you would always go with two top HL's if you can afford them..

Even more so in a weakened league..

The idea is good, the delivery of it not so...

Edited by mikebv