British Speedway Forum

23 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

I can't help but laugh at the current situation. Dropping a young talented rider in Joe Thomson for a worse rider in ablitt along with Max Clegg who struggled in a top Leicester team. For all those who said it was 'the right call' ,' it makes sense', 'sorry Joe that's speedway' I can't help but think god what absolute clanger you've dropped there. I bet Joe's family have a cheeky smile on there face knowing Joe has signed for a club on a few miles down the road for them and the Scunthorpe management are slightly red faced ! 

Yes, I think we have made a big mistake & my views are on here to read yourself, but please, if you are related or sponsor a rider, praise & big up him, get his name spelt right.

THOMPSON!!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

I can't help but laugh at the current situation. Dropping a young talented rider in Joe Thomson for a worse rider in ablitt along with Max Clegg who struggled in a top Leicester team. For all those who said it was 'the right call' ,' it makes sense', 'sorry Joe that's speedway' I can't help but think god what absolute clanger you've dropped there. I bet Joe's family have a cheeky smile on there face knowing Joe has signed for a club on a few miles down the road for them and the Scunthorpe management are slightly red faced ! 

Think every Scunny supporter was peed off when Joe had to go, especially replacing him with 2 deadwood in Clegg and Ablitt

• Like 3

I’m sure mr speedway,sorry mr Godfrey new what he was doing great business decision.

2 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Ablitt was punished last season for signing for Poole.

They used him as a 3 heat a night rider with a switch in heat 8, giving him the opposition's 1 and 2 to race against in heat 11. So the reality being he had Heat 2 and 4 to score against the opposition's #7 and improve on his average.

By far the worst thing for Ablitt was the closure of his home club Eastbourne, he was being brought through into the first team and scored paid 7 on his debut at Arlington. Taking away a track he knew well to build confidence and that awful season at Poole seems to have wrecked his confidence.

He has a neat and stylish style, I had him down as a good prospect, he needs to reset and the Scunthorpe move is not doing either the club or rider any good at the moment.

I still feel he will come good at some point..

21 minutes ago, OldtimerRay said:

Can’t believe i’m Saying this, bring back Auty and Aarnio

I’m sure you will reconsider when your sober.!

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I’m sure you will reconsider when your sober.!

Hic, where is Danny Phillips when you need him :cheers:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Every team with "money" are always going to build "top down" with their first two riders being their top two HL's..

With the exception of Berwick, I’d say that every team in Championship has money, but some spend it better than others. Do you think that Douglas, Allen and MPT are significantly cheaper than, say, Stevie, Lawson and Ben Cook? Or Howarth, Richie and Barker? It’s not what you’ve got, it’s what you do with it that counts. 

7 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

I would say it's done the opposite, look across the country and there's no two teams built the same.

It's either take a two pointer and try and maintain a strong 1 and 5 

Take a Strong 1 3 and 5 and take two, two pointers at reserve 

Or try to maintain strength in depth with a somewhat weaker top end.

Personally I think every team should be required to have 1 X 2 pointer at 7 so that it balances out across the league and stop the reserve switch.

That last part wouldn't work, as many 2.09 riders who improve their averages from 3 to 4 will be dropped for the next batch of 2.00 riders.

I'd certainly be happy with the number 7 having to be the lowest averaged rider & not being allowed to get dropped in heat 8.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Ablitt was punished last season for signing for Poole.

They used him as a 3 heat a night rider with a switch in heat 8, giving him the opposition's 1 and 2 to race against in heat 11. So the reality being he had Heat 2 and 4 to score against the opposition's #7 and improve on his average.

This was all done to accommodate, lawson, king and Worral so they didn't care if Ablitt scored a 0.

Scunthorpe don't have 3 heat leaders so I'm at a loss as to why they brought him in.

Personally I would be looking at getting Kemp back in on his inflated average (another Poole by-product) to try and steady out the second string. And looking for a 2 pointer with the same hunger as Ace.

Ablitt's situation at Poole is no different to his current spot at 6 for Scunthorpe, doesn't get heat 4 or 8 racing at number 6. He did get a 4th ride at Glasgow though, as the match was lost, something he rarely got at Poole even when the match was won.

13 hours ago, Pinny said:

One of the most baffling team changes i have ever seen. 

clegg about as useful as a one legged man in a rubbish kicking contest and ablitt worse. Shocking changed

Tried H.M.P. to get Jason Garrity on day release but they wanted too many restrictions so it was Clegg and Ablitt we got.

Edited by archie21
missed a word out
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, OldtimerRay said:

Yes, agree as I said earlier Scunny need 5 riders as only Douglas and Mountain are performing, Allen and Toft are not heat leaders, Lambert unfortunately will be in the team when he is an OAP and the other 2 are well out of their depth

Allen Toft not heat leaders ? Really ,please let us all know who to replace these pair with that would be better then them with thier averages ,have a great team just need the reserves to pick up the 1 pointers,team effort and support win matches not sacking exp riders when they have off meets, have you thought of helping or would rather hide behind laptop. Wake up son

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 3:17 PM, Wee Eck said:

With the exception of Berwick, I’d say that every team in Championship has money, but some spend it better than others. Do you think that Douglas, Allen and MPT are significantly cheaper than, say, Stevie, Lawson and Ben Cook? Or Howarth, Richie and Barker? It’s not what you’ve got, it’s what you do with it that counts. 

That's what I tell all the girls ! :D

• Haha 1

Maybe Ashley Morris would have been a better choice than Clegg....could've kept J.T then ?

I thought our manager dropped the biggest clangers...but .......

One consolation ? you will still beat us :D

Does MPT have a mechanic? Seen him working on his own bike in the pits on Friday night didn't look to have anyone with him, next to him was David Howe working on Dougys bike