British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Nickinho said:

"Wasps attendences dropped by over a quarter due to the lockdowns and never regained their previous level"

I think the same thing has happened with Glasgow with many not returning after the 2020 and 2021 seasons were curtailed. Even this season started late and ended up all over the place by August and the fans are simply fed up and along with all that is the uncertainty over money at the moement because people are really starting to struggle to make ends meet. The lockdowns really hammered this country and whether or not you were pro-lockdown or anti-lockdown the fact is this country is so screwed right now. I've never known a time when the government were paying people's bills for them but even they won't stretch to a Glasgow Tigers season ticket for everyone. I can't see many sports surviving apart from the English football leagues.

Lockdowns have indeed hammered the UK population and it'll be 5-10 years before we can accurately judge the consequences on society against what the benefits were. With continuing lack of access to timely healthcare I suspect it won't be positive.

However I digress, the most noticeable change is in the older generation who no longer come out to play. It doesnt seem to be a lack of money but a lack of motivation to go out. Its noticeable at Glasgow and I've also seen it at Glasgow Warriors where the old team are happy to watch on tv but not show up anymore.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I think it was extended with kids race etc as new people felt 20quid for 15 minutes entertainment wasn't good value. Tried to make it more of a day out than just 15 heats of speedway.

Now, you and I I'm sure very happy to live without it all but I'm sure a lot of homework would've been done on this and Glasgow does have a far younger crowd than most tracks I've been to

Hmm yes "the kids race" don't get me started!

Humbug. 

13 minutes ago, MD said:

Lockdowns have indeed hammered the UK population and it'll be 5-10 years before we can accurately judge the consequences on society against what the benefits were. With continuing lack of access to timely healthcare I suspect it won't be positive.

However I digress, the most noticeable change is in the older generation who no longer come out to play. It doesnt seem to be a lack of money but a lack of motivation to go out. Its noticeable at Glasgow and I've also seen it at Glasgow Warriors where the old team are happy to watch on tv but not show up anymore.

I think you're right. 

I'm a Warriors season ticket holder and for four season, prior to covid, I sat beside two young guys, who were Celtic season ticket holders, and an old boy who travelled from Dundee (fair play on a Friday autumn and winter evening) but none of the 3 of them came back after covid. 

Now I'm happy to believe my lack of sparkling personalty may mean they're now sitting elsewhere, but honestly I doubt it. They've just decided not to come back. To be fair covid did coincide with a very poor run of form for the Warriors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

I don't have any figures just a guess based on what it looked like in the days said we were getting about 500. It's busier than that. 

Stand must hold 4/500 maybe? The shed on 4the bend usually pretty busy too 

Barring a couple of meetings our crowds have been very healthy for the last few years round about the 1000 mark or slightly more wouldn’t be far away.

• Like 4

this year seems to have come and gone quick with having such a long break before playoffs which didn’t help our riders either maybe we should have had a few individual gap filler meetings

if Edinburgh don’t come to tapes next year that will be 8 teams in championship maybe they should do away with any cups and run home and away twice in the league   so that’s 28 meetings for every team and league winner is one that finishes at the top rather than playoffs then the top  4/6  could go a different trophy for a play off trophy i think a league is won over a season not 2/4 matches at the end 

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, mac101 said:

this year seems to have come and gone quick with having such a long break before playoffs which didn’t help our riders either maybe we should have had a few individual gap filler meetings

if Edinburgh don’t come to tapes next year that will be 8 teams in championship maybe they should do away with any cups and run home and away twice in the league   so that’s 28 meetings for every team and league winner is one that finishes at the top rather than playoffs then the top  4/6  could go a different trophy for a play off trophy i think a league is won over a season not 2/4 matches at the end 

That would mean 14 home meetings in 6 months!! Next to impossible for some promotions to wrap their heads around that. They can barely fit in what they have to do now

Although I do agree with you, I'd rather get rid of the stupid cup competitions and just have an extended league. One focus... No playoffs either, top of the league wins.

But what should I care... My team doesn't exist anymore and never will :sad:

• Like 2

Attendance wise I’d say between the 700-1000 mark depending who Glasgow are racing against and what time of year.

remembering the post Covid limited numbers which I believe were 400 and Glasgow was sold out every meeting. That sort of attendance was what we were seeing at the final Poole race, which was the lowest attendance I’ve seen there in recent years.

pre covid Glasgow we’re just about on the break even mark and coming out of it I’m sure the margins are a bit further apart now.

I’m pretty positive Edinburgh will be back at the tapes next year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Glasgow is one of the better attendances I have seen at Championship tracks recently.IMO

thats because they give away free tickets to bulk up the crowd and have done for years ., just what i have been told by a Glasgow fan with a camera !

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Joseq7 said:

I'm not doubting what you're saying. 

I myself haven't travelled with Glasgow for about 4 seasons.

I would regularly travel away to Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle and Workington.

Perhaps that there is an obvious reason why attendances have dropped significantly. Less away fans, even within our "northern" neighbours. 

IIRC didn't the Facennas, or perhaps it was Dick/Dickson/Pairman promotion, who stated a break-even figure of around 750?

As has been speculated by fellow posters, we must be averaging about half that.

Average Glasgow crowd is much more than you are suggesting IMO.I would estimate the 750 be nearer the mark,probably more on most occasions.

Edited by Fromafar

6 minutes ago, jenga said:

thats because they give away free tickets to bulk up the crowd and have done for years ., just what i have been told by a Glasgow fan with a camera !

That’s there prerogative if they wish to do it.

Think there are some good points being made re “post covid  war” behaviour. Many older fans got used to being at home locked down and found different technology to fill their time… everything online from shopping to watching sports . Not sure that these fans will be back to stand around in the cold for 2 hours watching live speedway ……lots of sports will suffer the same problems.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jenga said:

Who told you that , there has been no freebies in years.

Have you just arrived from 2015 in a Time Machine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Who told you that , there has been no freebies in years.

Have you just arrived from 2015 in a Time Machine.

twas in 2018 at wucky . so freebies were issued then 

13 minutes ago, jenga said:

twas in 2018 at wucky . so freebies were issued then 

Maybe ducky should have given some freebies away, might have sold enough programmes to pay the bills.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, mac101 said:

Agree with all you say, would work great but to simple for the speedway bigwigs to understand they do the complete opposite.

• Like 2