British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, Gazc said:

How anyone can defend someone who ended a career and is using a bag to this day is not worth debating with.

Serious question, have you ever personally asked David McAllan if he thought Morris intentionally fenced him?

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Serious question, have you ever personally asked David McAllan if he thought Morris intentionally fenced him?

Only Morris can answer that one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Good question but I can only go with what I witnessed on the day.

Maybe David is more forgiving than some of us fans or maybe he lays no blame, either way I am sure he has mellowed over the years.

4 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Good question but I can only go with what I witnessed on the day.

Maybe David is more forgiving than some of us fans or maybe he lays no blame, either way I am sure he has mellowed over the years.

Maybe David doesn't blame him but that doesn't mean it wasn't intentional.

This is what was said of David, aged 28, he's now 42:

"In heat 13 of Glasgow Tigers' Premier League meeting against the Birmingham Brummies at Ashfield last October, McAllan was left paralysed from the waist down after being involved in a sickening pile-up on the fourth bend of the second lap. He learned to walk again and gets through life with the assistance of 22 various painkillers a day, plus a cocktail of other pills and potions to keep his bladder and bowels in a semblance of working order - not to mention the inconvenience of having to connect a regular round of catheters and bags - but, at 28, he will never ride a speedway bike again."

Perhaps we should leave this one and move on....? 

Edited by Joseq7

38 minutes ago, cyclone said:

David doesn't blame Phil Morris, he was a speedway rider and knew the risks, he accepts it was racing incident. 

But everyone who was there that day knows that Phil Morris took David out. He dived up the inside of the fourth bend attempting a block pass of David but it had terrible consequences.

Had he been good enough to apologies then perhaps he wouldn't be the most hated man at Glasgow speedway

17 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

David doesn't blame Phil Morris, he was a speedway rider and knew the risks, he accepts it was racing incident. 

But everyone who was there that day knows that Phil Morris took David out. He dived up the inside of the fourth bend attempting a block pass of David but it had terrible consequences.

Had he been good enough to apologies then perhaps he wouldn't be the most hated man at Glasgow speedway

Totally agree with that last statement…….I reckon it would have made one hell of a difference about peoples’ feelings towards him.

10 hours ago, Jaizer said:

I'm done mate. You go by the YouTube video I'll go with what every eye witness there saw :t:

And is led by bias! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Complin was very poor at Newcastle, take away those home matches (he'll never have to race at Brough Park again) and he averaged 3.86 (4.43) which is a decent "away" average for a 4.00 rider.

Taking into account all his Champ level matches (inc guesting) minus his Newcastle home matches and he averaged 4.32 (4.72).

Away from Brough Park he did much better!

Brough park was certainly not a favourite of Lee's in terms of tracks but he did give it his all on track & did have some decent rides especially when he was in scoring position rides but unfortunately either got an EF or came off & tbh he was 1 of the better riders in a poor team

2 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Can I put some perspective on this please? I have kept in touch with David and have heard his views first hand. I also have a business connection with the SGP series and so meet Phil Morris from time to time. He and I used to cut each other dead, I thought he did it to me because of comments I’d made in the Speedway Star after the incident, and I did it to him because of what happened. 
As my GP attendances became more frequent, I realised that Phil and I would end up in the same room together and would need to have a conversation. I messaged David along these lines and wouldn’t have spoken to Phil without his approval.
A few years ago, Phil and I were in the same airport lounge and we finally took the opportunity to clear the air. Before relating that conversation, I discovered that I was wrong about his reason for disliking me. He told me that, after the incident, when he was racing, his wife started getting anonymous phone calls threatening her and their children. It was a Scottish voice. He thought it was me. Regardless of what happened to David, that is a despicable thing to do and whoever was responsible should hang their head in shame. 
As far as the crash was concerned, Phil made a mistake. He thought he was clean passed David and went to the fence to stop him being repassed. David was still on the outside, far closer than Phil realised and Phil’s push bar hit David’s handlebars. Phil was never a tidy or a fast rider, but he would use what he had to bully his way past. That time he got it wrong.

Now, I’m not trying to be his apologist or anything like that but he is fully aware of his actions and acknowledges the impact they had. It was a racing incident and not one rider trying to injure let alone end the career of another. 
If anyone on here gets the chance, speak to David about it and you’ll get his perspective. He is an amazing guy and far more upbeat than certainly I would be under the circumstances.

Turning now to Phil’s work at the GPs, he works flat out during the meetings and commands the respect of riders, officials and track staff. Someone said he wasn’t as good as Ole Olsen and cited the track at Cardiff as an example. Which is ironic as it was Olsen that built that horrendous track. And that was probably the last one he’ll be asked to build. 

I have tried to make this an explanation rather than a defence. What happened cannot be reversed and I will always remember that day. And it was Phil’s fault. He’ll tell you that. But having spoken to the only two people directly involved, it is also my view he was clumsy, not dirty. 

Thanks for this Gordon. It’s certainly cleared the air on the subject. Emotions were running really high that day as you well know so it’s not surprising that the memory still affects us greatly. I’m really glad David has accepted that it was a racing incident and that he is coping well. As for people assuming there was Glasgow bias on what we witnessed, I can only say that I would have been similarly aghast if one of our riders had made the same move. Like has been mentioned elsewhere, I think if Phil had made a public apology then feelings would have been eased slightly. 

2 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Can I put some perspective on this please? I have kept in touch with David and have heard his views first hand. I also have a business connection with the SGP series and so meet Phil Morris from time to time. He and I used to cut each other dead, I thought he did it to me because of comments I’d made in the Speedway Star after the incident, and I did it to him because of what happened. 
As my GP attendances became more frequent, I realised that Phil and I would end up in the same room together and would need to have a conversation. I messaged David along these lines and wouldn’t have spoken to Phil without his approval.
A few years ago, Phil and I were in the same airport lounge and we finally took the opportunity to clear the air. Before relating that conversation, I discovered that I was wrong about his reason for disliking me. He told me that, after the incident, when he was racing, his wife started getting anonymous phone calls threatening her and their children. It was a Scottish voice. He thought it was me. Regardless of what happened to David, that is a despicable thing to do and whoever was responsible should hang their head in shame. 
As far as the crash was concerned, Phil made a mistake. He thought he was clean passed David and went to the fence to stop him being repassed. David was still on the outside, far closer than Phil realised and Phil’s push bar hit David’s handlebars. Phil was never a tidy or a fast rider, but he would use what he had to bully his way past. That time he got it wrong.

Now, I’m not trying to be his apologist or anything like that but he is fully aware of his actions and acknowledges the impact they had. It was a racing incident and not one rider trying to injure let alone end the career of another. 
If anyone on here gets the chance, speak to David about it and you’ll get his perspective. He is an amazing guy and far more upbeat than certainly I would be under the circumstances.

Turning now to Phil’s work at the GPs, he works flat out during the meetings and commands the respect of riders, officials and track staff. Someone said he wasn’t as good as Ole Olsen and cited the track at Cardiff as an example. Which is ironic as it was Olsen that built that horrendous track. And that was probably the last one he’ll be asked to build. 

I have tried to make this an explanation rather than a defence. What happened cannot be reversed and I will always remember that day. And it was Phil’s fault. He’ll tell you that. But having spoken to the only two people directly involved, it is also my view he was clumsy, not dirty. 

People generally tell you what you want too hear when they know they are in the wrong.

But if David has moved on from this then maybe us as fans should as well.

It is a day I will never forget and unfortunately for David he has too live with the consequences of the actions of another rider that day.

• Like 2

Given David's personality I don't think he would possibly know how to hold a grudge, granted only spoke with him on 2 or 3 occasions but a happier guy you couldn't wish to meet. 

Was happy to read he's still involved in the sport with Kye Thomson :t:

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Given David's personality I don't think he would possibly know how to hold a grudge, granted only spoke with him on 2 or 3 occasions but a happier guy you couldn't wish to meet. 

Was happy to read he's still involved in the sport with Kye Thomson :t:

David is great with the kids at one of the coaches of the Monarch’s academy as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, ragdoll64 said:

Given how the team has been put together with the present points limit, who would you have had instead with the four points available?

A 4 point aussie plenty out there 

• Like 1