British Speedway Forum
Monarchs2468

World Cup - Wroclaw July 2023

1 minute ago, phillipsr said:

Brennan and an other could step up in that time whilst Lambert and Bewley will be in there prime…. 

I’d be very (pleasantly) surprised if Brennan reaches world standard but I hope you’re right of course. Boughen looks like he could be a real talent in years to come if his career is handled right, again the next World Cup would probably be too soon to expect him to be at that level though. 

During the TV pre amble Kelvin and Ricko has an exchange and stated that all the riders were capable and the differences in lap times were minimal

They stated be a World Champion the difference was likely to be that mental strength and belief that you would win

In the last block of heats that's what it came down too and is why the Poles won

Kubera pulled out a win that hadn't seemed likely. Zmarzlik and Magic both produces passes to pick up places that really shouldn't have been possible

GB however didn't deliver even the one barnstormer required despite having four goes at it and therefore fell just short

They didn't bottle it, they didn't fail - both those viewpoints are frankly a little ridiculous

They simply weren't quite good enough 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Col said:

There is nothing wrong with the 2 man format,  it's just not as good!

Disagree.

The two man format gives more nations the chance due to more evenly matched top pairs compared to less evenly matched top 4 riders.  It also allows for team riding, which should be the point of a team event. 

Just my opinion. 

Last night was a good event, good close racing. My only gripe is that the hosts (Poland) should never be seeded straight to the final.    They should be made to earn their place in the final, and that means if seeding to the race off (if the hosts have to be seeded somewhere).  Poland are too good and would have perhaps won anyway, but feels wrong the hosts go straight to the final, it gives them an unfair advantage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

During the TV pre amble Kelvin and Ricko has an exchange and stated that all the riders were capable and the differences in lap times were minimal

They stated be a World Champion the difference was likely to be that mental strength and belief that you would win

In the last block of heats that's what it came down too and is why the Poles won

Kubera pulled out a win that hadn't seemed likely. Zmarzlik and Magic both produces passes to pick up places that really shouldn't have been possible

GB however didn't deliver even the one barnstormer required despite having four goes at it and therefore fell just short

They didn't bottle it, they didn't fail - both those viewpoints are frankly a little ridiculous

That’s a good  sum up of the night and Just a great nights speedway thrown in.

• Like 1

A great meeting, feels a bit like GB missed an opportunity but I don't think they could have done much more. Lambert was superb all night, Ellis more than did his job and I'm sure Brennan will have learnt more from this week than he would in a whole Championship season. 

I thought Poland had made a huge mistake by putting Janowski in the last race but credit to him. Disappointing it's going to be a while before the next World Cup, alternating each year with the SoN would be better. 

23 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Last night was a good event, good close racing. My only gripe is that the hosts (Poland) should never be seeded straight to the final.    They should be made to earn their place in the final, and that means if seeding to the race off (if the hosts have to be seeded somewhere).  Poland are too good and would have perhaps won anyway, but feels wrong the hosts go straight to the final, it gives them an unfair advantage.

I suspect wherever the event was staged in would not be commercially viable without the hosts being seeded to the final.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StationRoad said:

I suspect wherever the event was staged in would not be commercially viable without the hosts being seeded to the final.

I think you are right,  and the crowd levels at the semis and race off would suggest the same 

5 minutes ago, StationRoad said:

Possibly, but the race off was an empty stadium, so arguably could make it more commercially viable if home fans do go to both events.  Especially if they offer tickets for the final at a hugely discounted price when purchased with the race-off (not sure if they do that already), could mean more income than fans just attending the final.

8 minutes ago, StationRoad said:

Hasn't it in the past been a little disadvantage for the hosts not having a meeting on the track, racing wise ? As well as the commercial aspect

• Like 1

With 6 heat wins to the Poles 4 we should have won it. Thought we might early on, but full credit to the home nation, and brilliant riding from especially Zmarzlik. Aussies unlucky with Holder getting injured. If most meetings were like this speedway would be massive again, great TV, fantastic atmosphere. Not too keen on the SoN. Good to see the Swindon connection, Steady and Allen ex-Robins, Ashley Holloway, son of Malc, Tom Brennan, a Swindon born lad. Rasser Jensen, Jason Doyle, Adam Ellis, in 2019 Double-winning team.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I often think that mental toughness and willingness to put bike and body into more risky positions is what sets Zmarzlik apart. 

That in turn gives him an aurora of invincibility. If you’re ahead of him it’s very rarely if, but when he’ll catch you. 

1 hour ago, TheReturn said:

Disagree.

The two man format gives more nations the chance due to more evenly matched top pairs compared to less evenly matched top 4 riders.  It also allows for team riding, which should be the point of a team event. 

Just my opinion. 

I think the two complement each other and offer a different challenge.  While the SWC is a team event in name, when the tapes go up every rider is an individual.  The SON encourages team racing as you say.

Just when you are about give up on speedway, along comes a meeting like this.

Fantastic stuff from 4 evenly matched teams all giving it their very best.

All four teams were winners and a triumph for the sport of speedway.

• Like 8