British Speedway Forum

11 minutes ago, magnus said:

I agree with Jenga. If the supporters don't come back, then the Comets may only be back short term and the track will turn back into a training track and going by the photos that would be a travesty for all in Workington...

Could I ask is there a reason why the support won't turn out to get behind the comets. Personally think the teams very good for the NDL will be very competitive and good to watch. Plenty of racers in the team to give the fans something to cheer about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Could I ask is there a reason why the support won't turn out to get behind the comets. Personally think the teams very good for the NDL will be very competitive and good to watch. Plenty of racers in the team to give the fans something to cheer about.

I was just reiterating what Jenga said about there are more important things other than who will be race day announcer. I agree the team, the league and the track looks fantastic and hopefully supporters old and new will come flooding back.

Workington needs speedway and by losing it, it makes you realise how much you have lost. ( I never missed a meeting). I just hope others think the same... 

• Like 3

I hope the supporters return and back the rebirth of the comets, but IMO some of the newer supporters of speedway in the modern times were attracted by big names, whether riding for or against the comets, and this is a reason why I say, I hope they get speedway at this level, in the past when some of these kids were riding development/northern junior league at  Derwent park the majority of the crowd had gone home, now some of those kids are riding for the comets :) hope this does not sound doom and gloom, but just saying as I see it, after following speedway every year since 1970 in the UK and Europe, more so in the 80's and 90's after the comets died in 1981

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

i think you owned up to being a part time supporter at Scunthorpe a while back , didnt you ? also only going to home meetings when the oppo were good teams and when it suited you  i am sure your promoter would have liked you to attend more than you did  

you should be able to answer your own question .

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, jenga said:

i think you owned up to being a part time supporter at Scunthorpe a while back , didnt you ? also only going to home meetings when the oppo were good teams and when it suited you  i am sure your promoter would have liked you to attend more than you did  

Jenga.  Be careful you don't upset this person, as I think he could be a parent of one of the young comets

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jenga said:

No I go to every meeting I can only time I miss is when the lad is racing and that will continue. What I have always said is I'm not bothered if scunny win or loose as long as I'm entertained. If you can see a post contradicting that please post think you could be quoting Phillipsr

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Neila said:

Jenga.  Be careful you don't upset this person, as I think he could be a parent of one of the young comets

Yep I am and I won't get upset everyone is entitled to an opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Yep I am and I won't get upset everyone is entitled to an opinion.

No problems marra, just Jenga has form of winding up people the wrong way, no offence to you Jenga either :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Presumably the concern would be third-tier racing rather than second. FWIW I think NDL is the right level (for now) to establish a base and build on it and I echo your comments on both the competitive nature of the side and the racers within it. The track looks superb and I think the huge bends (so big they almost have their own run-off areas!) will encourage the youngsters to wind it on. Really looking forward to the first meeting.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Neila said:

No problems marra, just Jenga has form of winding up people the wrong way, no offence to you Jenga either :rolleyes:

Yep I know I have been on here long enough

10 hours ago, Fourentee said:

Presumably the concern would be third-tier racing rather than second. FWIW I think NDL is the right level (for now) to establish a base and build on it and I echo your comments on both the competitive nature of the side and the racers within it. The track looks superb and I think the huge bends (so big they almost have their own run-off areas!) will encourage the youngsters to wind it on. Really looking forward to the first meeting.

The NDL of around 4 years ago was for me "the perfect level" for so many teams who struggled at a higher level to generate enough income to pay the riders of top league standard who compete in Div 2, eg Newcastle, Birmingham, Eastbourne, and even Worky themselves..

Used to love watching the Colts for a tenner and free for my U18 lad.. (Bargain)...

Maybe if the NDL of four years ago was still in existence so would a few more teams? 

If it is a stepping stone to a higher league then great, but if it doesnt materialise and Worky make money, and develop talent they can then sell on by  riding in the NDL for ever more, then it will never be a bad thing...

Good luck to them and I look forward to going next season, followed by a "quiet night" in the town....;)

• Like 6

19 hours ago, magnus said:

I agree with Jenga. If the supporters don't come back, then the Comets may only be back short term and the track will turn back into a training track and going by the photos that would be a travesty for all in Workington...

That wouldn't  just  be a travesty for Workington.  Its in the interests of the whole of UK speedway to see Workington, or any other team making a comeback, succeed especially when they have a track that has had a lot of work put into.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

The NDL of around 4 years ago was for me "the perfect level" for so many teams who struggled at a higher level to generate enough income to pay the riders of top league standard who compete in Div 2, eg Newcastle, Birmingham, Eastbourne, and even Worky themselves..

Used to love watching the Colts for a tenner and free for my U18 lad.. (Bargain)...

Maybe if the NDL of four years ago was still in existence so would a few more teams? 

If it is a stepping stone to a higher league then great, but if it doesnt materialise and Worky make money, and develop talent they can then sell on by  riding in the NDL for ever more, then it will never be a bad thing...

Good luck to them and I look forward to going next season, followed by a "quiet night" in the town....;)

Totally agree, Eastbourne had so many exciting matches and playoffs against BV,  Birmingham especially and even quite raucous derbies against Kent during that period.

• Like 2