British Speedway Forum

26 minutes ago, Neila said:

Conner riding for Wroclaw U24 side, and has ridden most of the season, even though he was only expecting to ride a couple of meetings 

And averaging more than Leon Flint and Jason Edwards

12 hours ago, DJC said:

Given Vatcher's history in dragging these kids half way around Europe and not giving them a sniff at a heat when named as reserve I would have done the same thing.

I'm sure Jordan Jenkins travelled abroad for a pairs meeting & didn't get a ride, what's worse is the result was decided before GBs final heat, so he clearly should have been given a ride.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Same thoughts with no 17 and 18 at Cardiff, no 17 should be under 21 brit champ and no18 2nd in under 21.Stops any arguments and gives the youngsters some encouragement.

Don't quite agree with that, for example you could be excluding a very good 22 year old (Brennan / Jenkins) because at 22 they're now considered "too old". Could also have seasons where the best juniors have gotten too old & the next lot are still NL reserves (unlikely I know).

Another thought is, what about Simon Lambert, who scored 9 points in the British final & has never been wild card or reserve. Not fair to exclude him solely on age (discrimination) imo.

One downside of picking riders based on who goes abroad, is how will Bailey ever get back in? Harris & Brennan have been travelling for these "lesser" events for years, so have gotten these places sewn up apparently, now Jenkins has gone abroad, he's probably next in line. If they only pick the same riders till they retire (get too old for certain events) there's not much chance for anyone else to get a look in (like Bailey)

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

There's always 2 sides to a story & I can totally understand Connor not travelling to Latvia (at his own expense) to potentially not get a ride (I do feel the riders should get their travel expenses paid at least, even if they ride for nothing). But also feel if everyone thought like that no team would have a reserve!

If travel expenses were paid then even if a rider doesn't get a ride, they'd have got out in track for practice, so could treat it as "free practice" at least?

On 8/18/2023 at 11:24 AM, StevePark said:

As far as I understand it, he would have had to pay for all his expenses (fuel to get there and back being the main one), plus time to get there and back, just on the off-chance of getting a ride.  Therefore, you have to sympathize with him on that one.   As someone pointed out after withdrawing from the British Final, all speedway riders are self employed and have every right not to ride in these types of meetings, if they so wish.  You can see it from both angles, but I think I have to agree with Connor Bailey here.  Whilst it is an honour to ride for your country, should you have to pay for that privilege ??

Based upon some knowledge from a few years ago, riders do get expenses but its nowhere near enough to cover actual costs. 

The way I see it, you simply pick the best rider for the role. Whether that is Connor Bailey or not is open to debate, but what should not happen is that he is ruled out as a result of some pathetic sort of punishment. 

Then again, we are talking about the BSPA/SCB here so no-one should expect anything different. 

• Like 6

Several questions previously asked, no concrete answers,  several suspicions :unsure:

On 8/20/2023 at 4:24 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Based upon some knowledge from a few years ago, riders do get expenses but its nowhere near enough to cover actual costs. 

The way I see it, you simply pick the best rider for the role. Whether that is Connor Bailey or not is open to debate, but what should not happen is that he is ruled out as a result of some pathetic sort of punishment. 

Then again, we are talking about the BSPA/SCB here so no-one should expect anything different. 

Is suspect Vatcher's reasoning for not picking Bailey was an attempt to lay thr blame elsewhere (suggesting Bailey isn't committed as others) but to me it makes them look childish & spiteful instead!

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 3:29 PM, ch958 said:

where's Honest John these days, used to enjoy his robust opinions

On 8/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, Neila said:

Several questions previously asked, no concrete answers,  several suspicions :unsure:

After his original absence, later on someone reported that he had broken ribs but not how it happened, Then someone had contact with him and they said that THJ was through with Speedway and  not coming back.

Obviously something big has happened but not sure we will never hear the full story.

Edited by 1Tsunami

On 8/17/2023 at 10:45 PM, Bagpuss said:

I personally think he should have gone to Latvia. Getting half cut the night before the British Final for his 21st and then being asked at the eleventh hour is perhaps a bit different. But turning down a chance to represent your country isn't the best idea if you want to be a Cardiff reserve I suggest. 

There's obviously far more going on with Vatcher than I'm anywhere near privy to going by the comments on various threads so I'll stay out of that part of the argument. 

Arguably if you’re a professional athlete with aspirations to be at the sharp end of the game you shouldn’t be out on the lash at any point during the season. There’s a long old off season to get drunk if you so wish. 

On 8/22/2023 at 3:29 PM, ch958 said:

where's Honest John these days, used to enjoy his robust opinions

He seemed to stop posting roughly at the time of Workingtons first meeting at the new track, never posted about the first meeting and not posted since, I can only assume that he has had a falling out with someone close to Workington speedway, also noticable that no one that goes to Comet's speedway has commented on why, what, where or when, so can only presume it's being kept in house so to speak, THJ has been missed for sure by me if no-one else ;).

• Like 6

Too early to start thinking about the 2024 team? 

13 minutes ago, CTD26 said:

Too early to start thinking about the 2024 team? 

Connor,sam,luke,for starters

2 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Can’t see Connor still racing in the NDL next year but I’d agree with that start 

3 hours ago, geoff100 said:

3 hours ago, CTD26 said:

Can’t see Connor still racing in the NDL next year but I’d agree with that start 

I'm 99% sure Connor won't be doing NL next year. Prem (RS), Champ & U-24 league should provide him with enough racing.

However we don't know the league formats, so hard to predict anything really

• Like 3