British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

On 12/17/2022 at 5:44 PM, szkocjasid said:

That price would certainly put me off attending. The diehards will go no matter what, others will pick & choose their matches depending on the opposition. Fans who don't feel £20 is value for money may go even less. I don't know the right answer as halfing the cost doesn't guarantee double the crowd! But I do feel £20 is too much for second tier speedway!

Second tier ? is there a first tier ? same riders most meetings....

As for entry cost? It's £18 per meeting if you purchase 5 tickets in advance !

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 6:27 PM, Fromafar said:

For Berwick who have stopped Concessions ( their prerogative) it’s going from £13 to £20 pay on the day.For me including travel it’s too much for me and my wife,certainly will pick and choose ( although it’s hard too tell how a match will pan out).Can’t speak for anyone else though.Not all Pensioners are the richest people in the country as some would have you believe.Value for money is coming into play now for me £50+ for a night at Berwick.!!!!

I suppose it's all down to perceived value. £50 + is now an average meal out for 2, is that better value than eating at home beforehand and having a night of speedway for the same? Only people can make that decision, but as you say if you don't have the £50+ spare in the first place it's academic really and that's the dire/sad situation we find the country in at the moment. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Hull based and a Scunthorpe regular , so my outgoings for 2023 will be 

Humber bridge £3 ,diesel  approx £6 , pint approx £4 , entrance and programme £20

so Approx in monetary terms £33 for  15 minutes of entertainment??

So approx £33 per home meeting  , is it good value possibly not . But if we don’t attend we will lose it and I’ve seen Hull close in 2005 after a successful 2004 season sadly .  Put the rising costs on all hobbies, will I be at the EW Raceway in 2023 too right I will  and I hope many others will as well .Support your local track 

You could save a possible £9 there & get a electric powered pedal bike & cut out the Humber bridge & the diesel lol

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Just to add a comment re:costs etc....

My perspective is, it's not about how much, but what is the value ?

Everybody will have their own opinion on value, based on their financial/social status....(some people will not just look forward to seeing some speedway, but meeting up with like minded people/friends etc...)

So, my take is........ is £20 value for money to watch/attend a Championship meeting ? (forget the travel/food/drink etc....)

Think the value for money is valid point these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

You could save a possible £9 there & get a electric powered pedal bike & cut out the Humber bridge & the diesel lol

Swim across?;)

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2022 at 9:41 AM, *JJ said:

£20 is expensive? I don't know what it is this season, but last year, to go to a third division football match (Walsall) was £35. Just to see 22 men running up and down, with perhaps a couple of goals if you're lucky.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2022 at 9:56 AM, Ryan555 said:

Yeah my team (Scunthorpe United) are now in the conference and it’s £21 so when you compare it to that it’s proportional 

12 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Humber bridge £3 ,diesel  approx £6 , pint approx £4 , entrance and programme £20

So approx £33 per home meeting  , is it good value possibly not . But if we don’t attend we will lose it and I’ve seen Hull close in 2005 after a successful 2004 season sadly .  Put the rising costs on all hobbies, will I be at the EW Raceway in 2023 too right I will  and I hope many others will as well .Support your local track 

Nearly all sports you have to travel to so costs incurred are petrol/diesel, train, taxi, parking then entrance fee & programme plus food/drink.

If taking football as an example as others have, watching the World cup matches, they last 90 minutes + extra time of which there was a directive put out that the 4th official should note time wasting in which some matches had 10+ minutes of extra time per half. In time terms, thrown ins take 20 seconds, goal kicks, fouls & corner kicks can take 25-30 seconds wasted. Then there is the slow walk of substitutions, feigning injuries( hardly seen in the Women's game) so a match time is probably around 60-65 minutes in play of which the fans are entertained by seeing the ball passed sidewards & backwards to keep possession. The exciting bits are the shots or penalty box play of which probably amounts to 10 minutes of match time. Football could/should easily go down the route of 70 minute in game time controlled by time keepers. A lot of sports do & this would eliminate time wasting(a bug bear)

AND POSTERS MOAN ABOUT SEEING 15 MINUTES OUT OF 90 OF ACTION IN A SPEEDWAY MEETING.

3 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

Swim across?;)

With a bit of walking/running so doing a triathlon. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

If you are a regular surely you have a Humber Tag for cheaper crossing and can also park outside on the Industrial estate opposite to save another pound!

On 12/17/2022 at 5:44 PM, szkocjasid said:

But I do feel £20 is too much for second tier speedway!

On 12/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, uk_martin said:

Considering that all but 6 or 7 "first tier" riders doubled down into the "second tier" last year, what's the difference these days?

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Second tier ? is there a first tier ? same riders most meetings....

As for entry cost? It's £18 per meeting if you purchase 5 tickets in advance !

It's an exaggeration to say it's virtually the same riders in the top 2 divisions. Looking at Premiership riders in Champ teams: Berwick (3), Birmingham (2), Edinburgh (1), Glasgow (1or 2), Oxford (3), Plymouth (2 or 3), Poole (1 so far, likely 4), Redcar (5), Scunthorpe (1 so far, likely 3).

On 12/19/2022 at 8:12 AM, Bandit59 said:

You get entry and a programme for £20 that's good value 

Think entry was £18, proggies £1 cost me £20 as I bought a +1 for friend, parking was £1 maybe that's was was meant; entry £20, inc prog £1 & parking £1....

Edited by martinmauger
belated info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gazzac said:

I suppose it's all down to perceived value. £50 + is now an average meal out for 2, is that better value than eating at home beforehand and having a night of speedway for the same? Only people can make that decision, but as you say if you don't have the £50+ spare in the first place it's academic really and that's the dire/sad situation we find the country in at the moment. 

£50 for a meal, get yourself to Nandos before it’s too late :D 

6 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Blimey, where have they been eating!! Don't think I have paid more than £20 for a meal.

If speedway fans are "struggling to pay their bills" (I think that's the latest politically correct terminology :))  then how about closing down all the track shops that sell trinkets that fans would also not be able to afford, and instead have a Food Bank outlet running inside the stadium?  Then, at least all those who are struggling to afford their evening's entertainment can go home with a bag full of life's essentials.

51 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

43 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Blimey, where have they been eating!! Don't think I have paid more than £20 for a meal.

Did say £50 for 2 for an average meal, couple of courses and a drink at Nando's is probably £40 for 2? :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I remember going to the speedway at Berwick with a £5. Admission, Proggie, Can of Coke, Burger and change left those were the days lol

• Haha 3