British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

13 hours ago, Argos said:

Especially when the promotor stated before the season started he needed 1000 just to break even 

Sounds like another season of heavy losses which is tragic for Tolley who was brave enough to try and keep the Brummies running.

34 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Sounds like another season of heavy losses which is tragic for Tolley who was brave enough to try and keep the Brummies running.

People  arnt going to pay £20 to watch rubbish...poor team from the start ...Morris is nva a 10 + rider ..Bad call from the start .. 

22 minutes ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

People  arnt going to pay £20 to watch rubbish...poor team from the start ...Morris is nva a 10 + rider ..Bad call from the start .. 

Exactly!

I think Morris is struggling to hit a 7 average if that atm.

Only Bowtell improving!

20 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Exactly!

I think Morris is struggling to hit a 7 average if that atm.

Only Bowtell improving!

Why cant the management  see this from the start ...You need to win at home to get people  back again.. 

To be fair the ignorance at the start of the season (thinking/hoping/expecting) crowds of 1000 for a break even figure. Id question if that figure would be regularly reached even if the admittance was £10. I admire the optimism but that has never paid the bills.

As a matter of interest what were the crowds in the boom years in the NL( 2014/18)  when Birmingham had the likes of Adam Ellis etc and had stern competition from Eastbourne and BV etc over a 3 /4 year period, probably more than now I imagine. Like Eastbourne were pretty  successful over that period, I always said that was the level of clubs like those 2 and many others, but I still think was deemed too successful and a threat to the higher leagues and diluted it. My club has gone, and sadly Birmingham look likely to follow if crowds are only 300/500.

Edited by gazzac

31 minutes ago, gazzac said:

As a matter of interest what were the crowds in the boom years in the NL( 2014/18)  when Birmingham had the likes of Adam Ellis etc and had stern competition from Eastbourne and BV etc over a 3 /4 year period, probably more than now I imagine. Like Eastbourne were pretty  successful over that period, I always said that was the level of clubs like those 2 and many others, but I still think was deemed too successful and a threat to the higher leagues and diluted it. My club has gone, and sadly Birmingham look likely to follow if crowds are only 300/500.

A hell of a lot more than now snd definitely enough to have hit the 1000 currently needed 

Has anyone ever made any money promoting speedway at Birmingham at this stadium, not including the first season back which must have been successful....presumably 

This side could be nearly as bad as that shocking Mildenhall side . Awful

15 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Has anyone ever made any money promoting speedway at Birmingham at this stadium, not including the first season back which must have been successful....presumably 

I think Tony Mole made it pay for most of the seasons he was Promoting with Graham Drury as team manager, Patchett never took up his option to buy so I guess he lost money, Phillips lost money hand over fist so much so that Tony Mole had to rescue them, and now Nigel Tolley seems to be losing money by the bucket loads, National League speedway would have at least limited the loses.

11 minutes ago, Pinny said:

This side could be nearly as bad as that shocking Mildenhall side . Awful

Not that bad they beat my team Plymouth.now we are not a bad team on paper but something ain’t right a bit like Birmingham.

1 hour ago, Petecc said:

Where does this magic figure of 1000 come from ?

From Tolley himself at the Aston manor cricket club meeting.

51 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

I think Tony Mole made it pay for most of the seasons he was Promoting with Graham Drury as team manager, Patchett never took up his option to buy so I guess he lost money, Phillips lost money hand over fist so much so that Tony Mole had to rescue them, and now Nigel Tolley seems to be losing money by the bucket loads, National League speedway would have at least limited the loses.

Not great is it and that's assuming Mole did ok, don't forget the Mason's

Edited by noaksey