British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chris116

Riders who give up when at the back

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Great stuff...although I was never a great fan of indoor racing (went to two meetings at Wembley and the NEC) but it did add an extra dimension. Never bothered with Telford however.

Interesting filler in the close season. Unfortunatelly in this case, it was a double meeting, alongside MotoX Jumps, like those Night of the Jumps spectacles. And speedway in a lot of people, including Smolinski came out second best. The jumps were accompanied by good lighting, fireworks and a young commentator. Whereas speedway was drawn out due to all the falls and exclusions and the old commentator from nearby Brokstedt was heavily criticised, and gave up not long after . The young jumps guy, was i am sure at least used at Güstrow speedway for one or two big meetings afterwards

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, steve roberts said:

I remember two Workington riders (?) back in the early seventies who were both excluded for not making a "bona fida attempt to race" when the only two riders in the race after the oppostion riders had been excluded for one reason or another.

At Rochdale if i remember correct

• Thanks 1

In fairness, I'd say that in many cases, the amount of effort riders elect to put in when they are adrift, depends largely on how many laps have been completed and how far behind they happen to be!

• Like 1

When I had a few sessions at Felton 40 odd yrs ago I would have been excluded for incompetence

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

When I had a few sessions at Felton 40 odd yrs ago I would have been excluded for incompetence

...me, too, at King's Lynn!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Found this example of a heat, to show the conditions !!

Looks more like a cycle speedway track with a bit of dirt on it.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 5:49 PM, Wee Eck said:

Bonus points don’t count in official CMAs and, as someone said, haven’t for over 15 years. For some bizarre reason, the Speedway Star still includes them in averages which seems pointless (no pun intended) to me

Averages including bonus points are a better reflection of individual rider ability, but shouldn't be used for team building.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Averages including bonus points are a better reflection of individual rider ability, but shouldn't be used for team building.

...both Ronnie Moore and Hans Nielsen are examples of that in that they thought nothing but nurse a colleague round for the better of the team. It wasn't always about getting over the line first which is what the team aspect should be about unlike individual meetings whereby winning is more important.

Edited by steve roberts

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

...both Ronnie Moore and Hans Nielsen are examples of that in that they thought nothing but nurse a colleague round for the better of the team.

Ronnie was my hero at Wimbledon and the number of races he enabled a reserve to win a race ahead of one of the super superstars of the day was amazing. 

30 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Ronnie was my hero at Wimbledon and the number of races he enabled a reserve to win a race ahead of one of the super superstars of the day was amazing. 

...I only saw Ronnie on a couple of occasions in 1972 and he was still a very classy act. To think what more he may have achieved if he hadn't retired for a number of years before making a return to the UK and scoring the way he did. Personally I think his achievements as a rider tend to get overlooked. One of the greats!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I only saw Ronnie on a couple of occasions in 1972 and he was still a very classy act. To think what more he may have achieved if he hadn't retired for a number of years before making a return to the UK and scoring the way he did. Personally I think his achievements as a rider tend to get overlooked. One of the greats!

Definitely one of the greats. I was at the meeting where he broke his leg which caused his early retirement. He was sadly only a shadow of his former self when he returned to racing but still a wonderful rider. Very pleased that I got to watch him every week from August 1957 until that crash brought his career to a temporary end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Best team rider I ever saw

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Definitely one of the greats. I was at the meeting where he broke his leg which caused his early retirement. He was sadly only a shadow of his former self when he returned to racing but still a wonderful rider. Very pleased that I got to watch him every week from August 1957 until that crash brought his career to a temporary end.

...didn't he try car racing during his premature retirement?

14 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Best team rider I ever saw

Personally I never just base the "greatest ever' on World Championships won but a rider's overal contribution and racing awareness...don't recall Tony Rickardsson doing much team riding on the occasions that I saw him which is why I don't rate him above Ivan Mauger (another great team man who cajoled his team mates) despite equalling Ivan's World Championships win or above the likes of Nielsen, aforementioned Moore and dare I suggest Ole Olsen!