British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Swedish GP Malilla Saturday July 15th 2023

45 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

I'd  say that Kubera is better then Janowski.

I also rather have Lebedevs, Kubera than Kim Nilsson.

But Kim did qualify.

No system is perfect. The best I can come up with is you, me and 'RacersandRoyals' decide who the best 15 riders in the world are at the end of the season and announce them as next year's field :party:

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Col said:

Iga Świątek will take some beating on the highest paid Sports person in Poland I would imagine.

Again, earnings predominantly made outside of Poland

41 minutes ago, Col said:

Iga Świątek will take some beating on the highest paid Sports person in Poland I would imagine.

Never heard of them:blink:

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

If the organisers want to see new names each year all they have to do is stop seeding riders & make everyone qualify, of course they can't control who's in the field doing that!

11 hours ago, chunky said:

Everyone has to qualify for the following season. Riders have to race against the best riders in the world ten times a year, and have to finish in the Top Six to receive a "seeding". It is not actually a seeding, it is "qualification".

The top 6 qualify for the following season, the top 3 in the GP challenge qualify for the following season, the European champion qualifies for the following season.

I am refering to the other 5 or 6 spots where riders are seeded to the following years GP!

1 hour ago, Ghostwalker said:

I'd  say that Kubera is better then Janowski.

I also rather have Lebedevs, Kubera than Kim Nilsson.

51 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But Kim did qualify.

No system is perfect. The best I can come up with is you, me and 'RacersandRoyals' decide who the best 15 riders in the world are at the end of the season and announce them as next year's field :party:

This is my point exactly, open up more qualifying spots & less seeded places & you'll get more different riders like Kim Nilsson (who 100% deserves his place) in the GPs each year. They may not be one of the best 15 riders in the world, they may not be what the organisers want, but they will be the most deserving - having qualified!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 3

Unfortunately 2 of the best riders in the world are missing in Sayfutinov and Laguta who would definitely give Bart a run for his money

11 minutes ago, OldtimerRay said:

Unfortunately 2 of the best riders in the world are missing in Sayfutinov and Laguta who would definitely give Bart a run for his money

Sadly we'll never know but how many World titles would Darcy Ward have had by now. 

Bartek has certainly been fortunate in the era he has ridden

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

$9,875,525 in prize money last year. Add sponsorship and it is probably double that.

(But still less than Robert Lewandowski I'd guess [salary alone of €18m])

Lewandowski is employed in & lives in Spain.

1 hour ago, kevin bass said:

Never heard of them:blink:

World ranked #1 Women's Tennis.

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

This is my point exactly, open up more qualifying spots & less seeded places & you'll get more different riders like Kim Nilsson (who 100% deserves his place) in the GPs each year. They may not be one of the best 15 riders in the world, they may not be what the organisers want, but they will be the most deserving - having qualified!

Well, qualifier system needs to be changed together with a reduction of wildcards to 1 or 2. Top 5 automatically qualified, rest have have to qualify to get in. Also increase GP-challenge from 1 to 2 or 3 races. 

It would require more riders to enter the qualifier since top 10 no longer is guaranteed a place. Would also mean that the opposition in the qualifier would be tougher. That in turn hopefully would mean that some of those who manage to squeeze themselves through all the way would get knocked out  Also 1 position for SEC winner and one for SGP2 winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col said:

Lewandowski is employed in & lives in Spain.

World ranked #1 Women's Tennis.

Fair enough, personally i find Tennis nearly as boring to watch as Snooker or Golf, probably why i hadn't heard of her:Dbut each to there own.

5 hours ago, Gavan said:

100%….. just because a rider is 9th or 10th doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in the grand prix the next season 

Tai isn’t what he was and neither this season is Magic …… so people say replace them but nobody offers up anyone who could 

Take those boys out for fresh blood people say but who? And then you would even less competition at the top end then you do now 

Name a rider who is better than Tai or Magic who should be in 

2 x Russians

2 minutes ago, DazS said:

2 x Russians

The 2 missing Russians are the only riders missing from the current GP field who'd probably enhance it, the ain't many others who ain't already in the top 16 who'd do any better overall what i can see, maybe Kubera at best.

• Like 1

I’m an ideal world I would have the current 15 riders minus Nilsson (who qualified on merit) and maybe either Thomsen or Michelsen and have Emil and Laguta 

Yes Tai and Janowski aren’t as good as they were and neither is Doyle … but just because they aren’t top 6 doesn’t mean they aren’t in the best 15

Kubera and Lebedevs would bring nothing extra to the series apart from the odd flashes here and there as Nilsson and Michelsen do now so why people think Tai and Doyle should be gone is baffling …. Doyle has made 3 finals for god sake lol 

• Like 1