British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Swedish GP Malilla Saturday July 15th 2023

5 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

I'd  say that Kubera is better then Janowski.

I also rather have Lebedevs, Kubera than Kim Nilsson.

Maybe - but Nilsson qualified by right, and deserved his spot 100%.

That is the problem; everyone has the opportunity to qualify, but if they don't/can't, they only have themselves to blame. That is a big reason there is such a small turnover...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

What about those who finish 7th, 8th 9th-almost always back in the following year with a 'wild card'. 

Is there anyone "better"? Leaving aside the Russians, it is a struggle, isn't it?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I’m an ideal world I would have the current 15 riders minus Nilsson (who qualified on merit) and maybe either Thomsen or Michelsen and have Emil and Laguta 

Yes Tai and Janowski aren’t as good as they were and neither is Doyle … but just because they aren’t top 6 doesn’t mean they aren’t in the best 15

Kubera and Lebedevs would bring nothing extra to the series apart from the odd flashes here and there as Nilsson and Michelsen do now so why people think Tai and Doyle should be gone is baffling …. Doyle has made 3 finals for god sake lol 

100%. Doyle has been fantastic this season, and but for some silly mistakes, would be even higher in the standings.

There a a few riders I would class as pretty much "equals" (both in and out of the series) - steady, with occasional flashes of brilliance, but none that are likely to medal at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Okay, I've given it a day, so it's time for to prove summat to you lot!

What a bunch of shallow, fickle fools we have on this forum! After EVERY GP, we have the idiots coming on here, whining about what a crap points system we have, and how it's total bollocks that the lowest qualifiers for the semis can walk off with the most points. This time, nuffink...

So, that only applies to foreigners, does it? When it's a Brit, it's like, "Yea for us"!!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

To freshen things up, maybe the series should be extended to (say) 24 riders, with 16 in each GP as currently but each rider missing a couple of GPs so that they all have equal meetings through the season. They would all ride in their home country of course.

This would allow 'lesser lights' to have a go at GP level (Kubera, Kurtz etc) and may be allow a few shock results.

Edited by Garry1603
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

To freshen things up, maybe the series should be extended to (say) 24 riders, with 16 in each GP as currently but each rider missing a couple of GPs so that they all have equal meetings through the season. They would all ride in their home country of course.

This would allow 'lesser lights' to have a go at GP level (Kubera, Kurtz etc) and may be allow a few shock results.

That's actually something that I've thought about. Only issue is that you'd need the same number of GP's every year - although that SHOULDN'T be a major problem.

If you have 10 GP's a year, you could even have a 20-man field, with everybody riding in 8 GP's.

• Like 1

Just bring back the old system of the 2000’s if you didn’t finish in the top two in the elimination heat you were out + there were more places

Edited by OldtimerRay
  • Like 1

Do riders get invited to the GP qualifiers or do they apply for a place ?  I'm puzzled as to why Dan Bewley wasn't  in the qualifiers or SEC 

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Okay, I've given it a day, so it's time for to prove summat to you lot!

What a bunch of shallow, fickle fools we have on this forum! After EVERY GP, we have the idiots coming on here, whining about what a crap points system we have, and how it's total bollocks that the lowest qualifiers for the semis can walk off with the most points. This time, nuffink...

So, that only applies to foreigners, does it? When it's a Brit, it's like, "Yea for us"!!!!! :rolleyes:

This points system still not for mate don t like it preferred it when every point counted meaning the who scored the most points in all his racers though out the season was crowned the champion.i suppose if Mr Zmarzlik has it all wrapped up with a couple of rounds to go they might bring in a different system lol

11 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

This points system still not for mate don t like it preferred it when every point counted meaning the who scored the most points in all his racers though out the season was crowned the champion.i suppose if Mr Zmarzlik has it all wrapped up with a couple of rounds to go they might bring in a different system lol

Honestly, I preferred to old system, BUT it makes sense that the winner of the GP gets the most points. With the old system, it was possible for somebody to win EVERY GP - and not finish in the Top 8! Yes, that IS true, and I have the figures to prove it...

The thing that people have to remember is that the 20 heats are just a "qualifier" for the next round (semis and final), same as the Overseas Final was just a qualifier for the Inter-Continental Final, where everyone started again from scratch.

With the round-robin speedway format, I never understood we we needed semis and a final, anyway...

12 minutes ago, chunky said:

Honestly, I preferred to old system, BUT it makes sense that the winner of the GP gets the most points. With the old system, it was possible for somebody to win EVERY GP - and not finish in the Top 8! Yes, that IS true, and I have the figures to prove it...

The thing that people have to remember is that the 20 heats are just a "qualifier" for the next round (semis and final), same as the Overseas Final was just a qualifier for the Inter-Continental Final, where everyone started again from scratch.

With the round-robin speedway format, I never understood we we needed semis and a final, anyway...

It is what we have so we have to go with it .Thought last nights meeting was ok some good racing ,a few incidents to get the forum buzzing and I am still in beat the bookie lol

9 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

I'd  say that Kubera is better then Janowski.

I also rather have Lebedevs, Kubera than Kim Nilsson.

But Nilsson won the Challenge meeting last year in Glasgow. That’s what others have to do. 

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

But Nilsson won the Challenge meeting last year in Glasgow. That’s what others have to do. 

Kubera was actually in the Challenge at Glasgow that Nilsson won.He was hopeless.He is a talent though.

1 hour ago, markandrew23 said:

Do riders get invited to the GP qualifiers or do they apply for a place ?  I'm puzzled as to why Dan Bewley wasn't  in the qualifiers or SEC 

Think they can enter if they wish,some use as a safety net in case they don’t make Top 6 and wouldn’t get wild card.Not sure if each country have so many slots they can fill.If Bewley wanted to ride in them I’m sure he would have got a slot (as he did last season).

9 hours ago, markandrew23 said:

GP riders are not allowed to enter the SEC qualifiers or to be named as wildcards in that series.