British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Diamonds85

Bellle Vue Colts 2023

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it all surely depends on the power output of said electric bike, no?

A more powerful e bike would beat a 500cc speedway bike, a lesser-powered one wouldn't. What power outputs are you basing the above on?

Speedway bikes are currently limited to 500cc, I'd have thought it's up the authorities to come up with a (hopefully) similar limit on e bike power before they start mixing.

25 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it all surely depends on the power output of said electric bike, no?

A more powerful e bike would beat a 500cc speedway bike, a lesser-powered one wouldn't. What power outputs are you basing the above on?

Speedway bikes are currently limited to 500cc, I'd have thought it's up the authorities to come up with a (hopefully) similar limit on e bike power before they start mixing.

It's a real interesting conundrum,  methanol bikes apparently about 75/85 hp, which would be pretty good for an electric motor in a motorbike, but torque especially comes into it so would imagine wouldn't be much between them, who'd have thought a few years ago the fastest road cars on the planet would be electric. 

• Like 3

no clutch  so maybe  be at a disadvantage from the start the power on e-bikes is really on or off like a switch not really good for throttle control 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, mac101 said:

no clutch  so maybe  be at a disadvantage from the start the power on e-bikes is really on or off like a switch not really good for throttle control 

Or like a hand drill with a variable speed control on the trigger maybe? I'm sure the moto cross bike I saw had plenty of variation. 

Edited by gazzac

21 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Or like a hand drill with a variable speed control on the trigger maybe? I'm sure the moto cross bike I saw had plenty of variation. 

the mx bike only has speed settings 

3 minutes ago, mac101 said:

the mx bike only has speed settings 

I'm surprised having seen it, but it can't be beyond our technology having a riostat (not sure the spelling) on a powerful electric motor? 

• Like 1

Back to the Colts - big change in the regulations to allow Commonwealth riders back into this league. James Pearson will definitely benefit from racing in this league. Only one per team but who else might take advantage of this change?

16 hours ago, gazzac said:

I'm surprised having seen it, but it can't be beyond our technology having a riostat (not sure the spelling) on a powerful electric motor? 

Modern brushless electric motors are controlled by a computerised control unit; there is plenty of speed control.

On 3/10/2023 at 10:37 AM, mc131 said:

Decent top 2, not a great team tho be some heavy defeats on the road

Not so sure about that, look stronger than most teams at reserve, so that should help avoid drubbings on the road!

23 hours ago, mac101 said:

there certainly is a 'clutch', and having seen the electric bikes at Scunny last week i think they'll be good on big tracks, loads of torque

Edited by stevehone
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Only one per team but who else might take advantage of this change?

Just James Pearson, Jacob Hook and George Congreve to start with.

Maybe someone will be looking at Jake Turner during the season if they lose a heatleader to injury.