British Speedway Forum
edmon

Monarchs Academy 2023

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Several lads who wouldn’t have a team spot have one so can’t be that harmful.

Lets be honest Roynon would have got a place anywhere, likewise Spooner so maybe Simpson/Lyden would have gone without. 

However with Hook, Pearson, Turner and Congreve blocking places there are always 2 sides to a coin. 

Then of course theres Dayle Wood fiasco, Edinburgh only have self interests and are able to dictate what they want by the influence the promotion holds. 

20 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Lets be honest Roynon would have got a place anywhere, likewise Spooner so maybe Simpson/Lyden would have gone without. 

However with Hook, Pearson, Turner and Congreve blocking places there are always 2 sides to a coin. 

Then of course theres Dayle Wood fiasco, Edinburgh only have self interests and are able to dictate what they want by the influence the promotion holds. 

What's the Dayle Wood fiasco?

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

But if Roynon got a place elsewhere, that's another rider missing out on a team spot (perhaps a young developing Brit).

I don't consider Hook, Pearson & Congreave to be blocking places as who is there to fill their spots in teams? Berwick have had 7 points available to replace Freeman but had to use 3.5/4.0 riders to replace him. Plus Mildenhall & Oxford's newbie 3.00 riders at reserve have shown their not at this level yet. So you'd have to add 3 more even weaker riders to replace the Commonwealth riders?

Ps I'm pretty sure Turner's not blocking anyone by not racing in the NL lol!

Edited by szkocjasid

28 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

But if Roynon got a place elsewhere, that's another rider missing out on a team spot (perhaps a young developing Brit).

I don't consider Hook, Pearson & Congreave to be blocking places as who is there to fill their spots in teams? Berwick have had 7 points available to replace Freeman but had to use 3.5/4.0 riders to replace him. Plus Mildenhall & Oxford's newbie 3.00 riders at reserve have shown their not at this level yet. So you'd have to add 3 more even weaker riders to replace the Commonwealth riders?

Ps I'm pretty sure Turner's not blocking anyone by not racing in the NL lol!

But the points limit was raised so that certain commonwealth riders could be accomodated , ive got nothing against them personally but where is the benefit to GB speedway to include them? 

Mildenhall and Oxford made poor reserve choices but teams do that every year, some riders are clearly not ready some are nothing new there even if its plain to see. 

Turners not racing in the NL......yet. 

1 hour ago, spt82 said:

What's the Dayle Wood fiasco?

Including an aussie in his late 20's as a 3 point rider who isn't even achieving his average.  Hard to argue that any brit young or old, ready or otherwise wouldn't add more value to the sport than that.

2 hours ago, Binman said:

And several hasn't

If you could name me riders that could replace riders in the side please do? Realistic ones.

11 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Including an aussie in his late 20's as a 3 point rider who isn't even achieving his average.  Hard to argue that any brit young or old, ready or otherwise wouldn't add more value to the sport than that.

So a late starter to speedway shouldn't be allowed the chance to develop in a development league because of his age? And he holds a British passport so there's not really an argument regarding that point.

Just to clear this up a bit. Roynon, Simpson and spooner when contacted by the club hadn’t received any offers from any NDL sides. Roynon did from belle vue but after he had already signed for the academy. 

Not enough heat leaders or decent quality of riders around to fill the spots hence the allowance of the Aussies in the league if you could name me riders of similar ability and average who could replace them then please do. 

Wood who has a British passport and has a full time UK job on top of racing. Hardly over for a jolly. Don’t see you complaining about Matt marson for example who’s been coming over riding and going back to Aus each year. 

Edinburgh as a club probably do more for the youth set up than most clubs in the U.K. so hardly self interests. 

5 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Just to clear this up a bit. Roynon, Simpson and spooner when contacted by the club hadn’t received any offers from any NDL sides. Roynon did from belle vue but after he had already signed for the academy. 

Not enough heat leaders or decent quality of riders around to fill the spots hence the allowance of the Aussies in the league if you could name me riders of similar ability and average who could replace them then please do. 

Wood who has a British passport and has a full time UK job on top of racing. Hardly over for a jolly. Don’t see you complaining about Matt marson for example who’s been coming over riding and going back to Aus each year. 

Edinburgh as a club probably do more for the youth set up than most clubs in the U.K. so hardly self interests. 

So riders like Clegg, Kinsley, Mulford, Kingston who all started the season without NL spots or Bebee, Rathbone or Douglas who started on the sidelines rather than being able to take the place occupied by Congreve. 

If there is a limited amount of heat leaders why lobby to increase the points limit (other than to accommodate Bickley and Hook). 

As it happens nope not the biggest fan of the Marson situation either but just like Wood theres nothing i can do about it. 

I will always admire your commitment and support of your club Blobby but as an outsider looking in my view (for the limited value it has) is that the Edinburgh academy is a distance away from where it could/should be.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
Stupid auto fill
  • Like 1

So riders like Clegg, Kinsley, Mulford, Kingston who all started the season with NL spots or Bebee, Rathbone or Douglas who started on the sidelines rather than being able to take the place occupied by Congreve. 

If there is a limited amount of heat leaders why lobby to increase the points limit (other than to accommodate Bickley and Hook). 

As it happens nope not the biggest fan of the Marson situation either but just like Wood theres nothing i can do about it. 

I will always admire your commitment and support of your club Blobby but as an outsider looking in my view (for the limited value it has) is that the Edinburgh academy is a distance away from where it could/should be.

The major issue we have being so far north is lack of rider availability with travel restrictions. Hopefully the young academy where we have training schools every week coached from David McAllan, Sean stoddart and James grieves every Saturday for the young ones wanting to take up the sport are still another 6/7 years away from being eligible. 

Last year with the team being not very good due to not being able to riders in and poor crowds resulting in this they have went down a different route this year with trying to link it all under one roof like a football type academy system, unfortunately not quite worked out as planned with Kyle and Jacob having to be let go form the PL side.

For them to field a side this year it had to be competitive to make it viable financially hence wanting commonwealth riders in the league to increase the standard and hopefully bring bigger crowds in the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Wrote it all before i went out :D. Fact is Edinburgh removed Simpson and Bickley from the team and added Clegg and Parker, the next day Simpson dropped to a 3.00 average and 14 days later hes reintroduced missing just 1 match (and in fact became free to take several guest booking in that time).

The rule used to be that if you were taken out of a teams 1-7 you could not be redeclared into that 1-7 in the same season (bar 28 day injury cover) now riders can be reintroduced after just 14 days which makes average manipulation potentially rife.

Thanks for clearing that up.....surely not with the manipulation......

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

The major issue we have being so far north is lack of rider availability with travel restrictions. Hopefully the young academy where we have training schools every week coached from David McAllan, Sean stoddart and James grieves every Saturday for the young ones wanting to take up the sport are still another 6/7 years away from being eligible. 

Last year with the team being not very good due to not being able to riders in and poor crowds resulting in this they have went down a different route this year with trying to link it all under one roof like a football type academy system, unfortunately not quite worked out as planned with Kyle and Jacob having to be let go form the PL side.

For them to field a side this year it had to be competitive to make it viable financially hence wanting commonwealth riders in the league to increase the standard and hopefully bring bigger crowds in the process.

Douglas is based in Berwick not to far away

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

So riders like Clegg, Kinsley, Mulford, Kingston who all started the season with NL spots or Bebee, Rathbone or Douglas who started on the sidelines rather than being able to take the place occupied by Congreve. 

clegg didn’t have a team spot in any league at the start,could be wrong but I think Kingston also had no team spot at the start.

21 minutes ago, bigred said:

clegg didn’t have a team spot in any league at the start,could be wrong but I think Kingston also had no team spot at the start.

My bad should have put without....

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do think the team manager should pay more attention to the riding order away from home, Hook took 3 rides on the trot (13,14,15) easily avoidable by either swapping Hook & Roynon round, or swapping Roynon & r/r around so Hook gets his extra ride in heat 12 (still gets 2 on the trot, but not 3)