British Speedway Forum
Cast1rn

Best Food in the championship

18 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Discuss who has the best start Marshall apparently :o

Followed by best turnstile operator, best announcer, best machine examiner zzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Followed by best turnstile operator, best announcer, best machine examiner zzzzzzzzzzz

What about best promoter/owner?? That one could open a can of worms! lol

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

What about best promoter/owner?? That one could open a can of worms! lol

There is only one candidate for that and he's not a hairdresser :party:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mac101 said:

best team manager lol 

Middlo 

On 1/22/2023 at 9:44 PM, Tsunami said:

The best burgers in speedway were at Newcastle in the early 00's. Track burgers were crap so we bought prime beef direct from a small butcher and served them them in a specially provided caravan beside the office doors. We used to sell out every week with big queues and the track owners were against us selling them and we had to pay a premium for selling from the caravan. We then started to serve hot drinks as well, as the owners had not provided a disabled lift as per the regulations and it meant that disabled fans didn't need to go upstairs for anything. We got loads of praise for the quality of the beef. Perhaps Halifaxtiger can remember them, can you Chris ?.    

No. Only really started going again in 2004 and, to be honest, I have always avoided speedway food because it has always been - in my limited experience - overpriced rubbish (my most recent experience has been watching my old pal Youngy desperately chewing a sausage in a roll at Belle Vue - it looked like he was eating firewood), occasionally bordering on not fit for human consumption. It doesn't surprise me that one or two have been ill after eating it.  

Then again, its not much better at any sports ground. Football is probably worse, and the stuff they serve at rugby league across the north occasionally has to be seen to be believed (I once got into trouble at Halifax RLFC when a mate and I smuggled fish and chips into a reserve game).

The exceptions for me were pies at Wigan RLFC (the country's pie capital, if they aren't good there abandon hope), John Anderson's burgers at Berwick (you could tell he was a high quality butcher) and Isle of Wight's food, particularly the sausage casserole and the chicken curry. Home made, absolutely delicious and very reasonably priced too (Barry Bishop once told me that on every occasion they were on the menu both sold out). 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

No. Only really started going again in 2004 and, to be honest, I have always avoided speedway food because it has always been - in my limited experience - overpriced rubbish (my most recent experience has been watching my old pal Youngy desperately chewing a sausage in a roll at Belle Vue - it looked like he was eating firewood), occasionally bordering on not fit for human consumption. It doesn't surprise me that one or two have been ill after eating it.  

Then again, its not much better at any sports ground. Football is probably worse, and the stuff they serve at rugby league across the north occasionally has to be seen to be believed (I once got into trouble at Halifax RLFC when a mate and I smuggled fish and chips into a reserve game).

The exceptions for me were pies at Wigan RLFC (the country's pie capital, if they aren't good there abandon hope), John Anderson's burgers at Berwick (you could tell he was a high quality butcher) and Isle of Wight's food, particularly the sausage casserole and the chicken curry. Home made, absolutely delicious and very reasonably priced too (Barry Bishop once told me that on every occasion they were on the menu both sold out). 

Thanks for that. Yes the real meat burgers were on before 2004, probably 02/03, and the caravan disappeared then as well. I wonder if the stadium owners objected to it for the later seasons. I've always thought Scunny were all right for food, although it would probably something with chips as i am not a connoisseur like you. Jen's cooking stops that. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Thanks for that. Yes the real meat burgers were on before 2004, probably 02/03, and the caravan disappeared then as well. I wonder if the stadium owners objected to it for the later seasons. I've always thought Scunny were all right for food, although it would probably something with chips as i am not a connoisseur like you. Jen's cooking stops that. 

Never forget your daughters face with that dripping fat monstrosity you were about to eat at Sheffield :rofl:

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Can't remember where Benji Compton had that crash, but remember the big lad that the bike nearly hit, wasn't letting go of his burger!!! (musta been good):rofl:

Although not speedway, but if you can, try the Butterfly Cabinet on Heaton Road,,, best burger av ever had. :t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Can't remember where Benji Compton had that crash, but remember the big lad that the bike nearly hit, wasn't letting go of his burger!!! (musta been good):rofl:

Although not speedway, but if you can, try the Butterfly Cabinet on Heaton Road,,, best burger av ever had. :t:

Are we talking of the clip (below)?  The "big lad with the burger" is former referee Dave Dowling:

2 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Are we talking of the clip (below)?  The "big lad with the burger" is former referee Dave Dowling:

Aye, that's the one.

26 minutes ago, StevePark said:

And Dave Peat behind him.