British Speedway Forum
Rob Dyer

Nora Speedway League - Sponsored by Nora 92

When practice at Scunthorpe, riders are required to have a SCB licence and are required to sign a day long insurance form, I imagine Jack Thomas is the same in that regard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Reference the recent serious injury to Jack Thomas.

1. Was he covered by the personal accident cover provided by the training organiser ?.

2. Is he entitled to any funds or benefits from the SRBF ?.

If the answer is no to either or both then I suggest the SCB gets it,s own house in order before preaching to Nora 92.

I think the last two posts are almost certainly correct. It is almost unthinkable that any kind of meeting would be run without either the track providing insurance or it being available to the rider to purchase.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

and as you don’t know the answer perhaps you get your own house in order before trying to stir things up. Even I don’t think the chairman of the sport would run a practice session on his own track without insurance in order.

I have now been advised that as Jack Thomas was privately hiring Scunthorpe for practice, no medical insurance was included - this is actually stated in the terms of the hire. That is not to say Scunthorpe were at fault in any way. 

As it was not an injury incurred during an SCB meeting, then based upon Jim Lawrence's Speedy Star statement he would not be entitled to SRBF assistance.

53 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I have now been advised that as Jack Thomas was privately hiring Scunthorpe for practice, no medical insurance was included - this is actually stated in the terms of the hire. That is not to say Scunthorpe were at fault in any way. 

As it was not an injury incurred during an SCB meeting, then based upon Jim Lawrence's Speedy Star statement he would not be entitled to SRBF assistance.

Standard SCB insurance only covers you for life or loss of limb , ‘ private hire ‘ has its own rules as you state. Private hire also can mean no medical cover in place, see Scunthorpes own adverts. You pay your money, you take your chance !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Standard SCB insurance only covers you for life or loss of limb , ‘ private hire ‘ has its own rules as you state. Private hire also can mean no medical cover in place, see Scunthorpes own adverts. You pay your money, you take your chance !

You're absolutely right here. Scunthorpe do make it absolutely clear that no medical insurance is provided in their hire conditions, so they cannot in any way be blamed if an accident occurs during a private hire session and the rider has not taken out adequate insurance cover. 

The position regarding SRBF assistance is not quite so clear, but it would be extremely difficult to justify assisting a rider injured in a private session and then refuse to do so if the same occurred in a NORA meeting (for myself, I think it would be hard to justify the latter refusal anyway). 

20 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

You're absolutely right here. Scunthorpe do make it absolutely clear that no medical insurance is provided in their hire conditions, so they cannot in any way be blamed if an accident occurs during a private hire session and the rider has not taken out adequate insurance cover. 

The position regarding SRBF assistance is not quite so clear, but it would be extremely difficult to justify assisting a rider injured in a private session and then refuse to do so if the same occurred in a NORA meeting (for myself, I think it would be hard to justify the latter refusal anyway). 

One big(gish) difference is that the Scunthorpe promotion hold an annual public collection for the SRBF, as do all the BSPA clubs.

As far as l'm aware, the NORA club on the IoW doesnt do that.

11 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

One big(gish) difference is that the Scunthorpe promotion hold an annual public collection for the SRBF, as do all the BSPA clubs.

Even if that were true, speedway fans contribute to the SRBF on the basis that it will assist a rider injured while taking part in speedway, wherever that maybe. I very much doubt that one single one would draw a distinction between Ben Morley, for example, being injured at Kent or being injured at Isle of Wight. This is about riders, not who contributes to the fund.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Most NORA meetings will take place at tracks that have SRBF collections.

How is Jack Thomas hiring  Scunny any different from Barry Bishop hiring Plymouth?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arnieg said:

Most NORA meetings will take place at tracks that have SRBF collections.

How is Jack Thomas hiring  Scunny any different from Barry Bishop hiring Plymouth?

Maybe hiring a stadium to run an event means you have to jump through a few more legal hoops.

So Plymouth have been forced out of running NORA92 racing by the BSPL! How come they allow NORA events at Scunthorpe and many other tracks?

Is this a case of not being able to run a p*ss up in a brewery and not wanting to be shown up?

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

So Plymouth have been forced out of running NORA92 racing by the BSPL! How come they allow NORA events at Scunthorpe and many other tracks?

Is this a case of not being able to run a p*ss up in a brewery and not wanting to be shown up?

Presentation of some evidence that this has actually happened would be good . Several other tracks that run SCB speedway are also running Nora events so something doesn’t add up.

9 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Presentation of some evidence that this has actually happened would be good . Several other tracks that run SCB speedway are also running Nora events so something doesn’t add up.

The press release from Warriors Shale Track Club says that the Plymouth promotion have told them that they cannot hire the stadium due to pressure from SCB. I will alter my original post to SCB instead of BSPL who I still suspect are behind this. 

It is also interesting that Iwade are still running meetings but maybe the difference is who owns the stadium!