British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Oxford v Swindon Select - Rescheduled April 19

23 hours ago, mel said:

Most of you arguing amongst yourselves are! 
The thread was for the challenge match most come to read thoughts or opinions of the line up/events during the meeting etc. think there’s actually 1/2 pages on topic the other 10 just the same old debate over tickets.  Everyone is entitled to there opinion and there is neither a right or wrong opinion! Either start yourself a separate thread so you can debate it until the end of time or except that other’s opinions may differ from yours because coming on here each time moaning about it isn’t gonna change a thing. 

I would agree in principle with your thoughts but that's how threads tend to develop on a public forum. However it doesn't help when one individual in particular felt the need to trawl thru' another thread to post a comment to try and score a point having misinterpreted the comments made to suit their own agenda.

It's great to see that the meeting has been rescheduled for April 19th.

Edited by steve roberts

Any updates on the "Swindon" team for this?

On 4/15/2023 at 9:07 AM, Grachan said:

Any updates on the "Swindon" team for this?

Doyle Ellis Harris Clegg D Thompson  Smith Hagon

• Like 1

I was going to take my sons along to this, but the Oxford website says the UniPart car park is sold out. Would any Oxford regulars/locals be able to recommend where else I could park? Don’t mind a walk of up to 15-20 mins as long as it’s safe and the car is still likely to be there afterwards... :)

Thanks in advance...

1 hour ago, Sevy said:

I was going to take my sons along to this, but the Oxford website says the UniPart car park is sold out. Would any Oxford regulars/locals be able to recommend where else I could park? Don’t mind a walk of up to 15-20 mins as long as it’s safe and the car is still likely to be there afterwards... :)

Thanks in advance...

I'm pretty sure you can park at the local Tesco superstore car park for free for three hours (at least you used to be able to). It's about a 15-min walk to the stadium from there.

https://goo.gl/maps/qe2CTs1rBtw4xf6m8

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Anzum said:

Doyle Ellis Harris Clegg D Thompson  Smith Hagon

Some Swindon Legends lol

7 hours ago, Bojangles said:

I'm pretty sure you can park at the local Tesco superstore car park for free for three hours (at least you used to be able to). It's about a 15-min walk to the stadium from there.

https://goo.gl/maps/qe2CTs1rBtw4xf6m8

Thanks for the tip - much appreciated...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, orion said:

Some Swindon Legends lol

Yeah shame we only have 3 former Robins but we won't get many chances to see any sort of Robins team in action so I'm looking forward to it. Always remember some very spicy local derbies at Oxford when I was a kid! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thecoombdog said:

Yeah shame we only have 3 former Robins but we won't get many chances to see any sort of Robins team in action so I'm looking forward to it. Always remember some very spicy local derbies at Oxford when I was a kid! 

The cons of riding on a popular race night. Shame that Swindon team is missing Morris, Howarth etc. 

41 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

...they were great days together with the local derbies with those "Berks" down the road at Reading!

23 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...they were great days together with the local derbies with those "Berks" down the road at Reading!

I remember one at your place where someone got onto the track and Dugard rode through the tapes when he was excluded! I was only about 7 or 8 and thought it was amazing!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I remember one at your place where someone got onto the track and Dugard rode through the tapes when he was excluded! I was only about 7 or 8 and thought it was amazing!!

Yes there were a few "ding-dongs" down the years! Mentioning Martin Dugard I recall the time he dragged Brian Karger off his bike after a coming together! Personally I felt that Martin under-achieved...he had so much talent on a bike and should have toured "Aussie" at least the once which tended to bring riders on which is something that Eastbourne legend Gordon Kennett also mentioned. Martin shouldn't have returned to Arlington when he left Oxford in my opinion but should have seeked a move to larger track to develop further as a rider.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes there were a few "ding-dongs" down the years! Mentioning Martin Dugard I recall the time he dragged Brian Karger off his bike after a coming together! Personally I felt that Martin under-achieved...he had so much talent on a bike and should have toured "Aussie" at least the once which tended to bring riders on which is something that Eastbourne legend Gordon Kennett also mentioned. Martin shouldn't have returned to Arlington when he left Oxford in my opinion but should have seeked a move to larger track to develop further as a rider.

He was hated at Swindon!!! We had them in the cup one year and he was an absolute arse in the 1st leg away at Eastbourne. The 2nd leg went down to a last heat decider and his bike went bang on the start line to put us through. Karma is a bitch mate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Heard a podcast where he was quite honest about the mistakes he made not venturing further. He definitely had a load of talent. As well as that GP win, he was also brilliant in the 92 World Team Cup Final which was absolutely loaded with top, top riders. As well as not making the move to a bigger track or really testing himself overseas, he also seemed to get embroiled in too many petty spats. Don't know if he was trying to prove he was a tough guy or what...but it's not the sort of stuff serious professionals would get involved in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

I dont agree .. its pretty clear that people can see they can make plenty of money by using the Swindon name .. One night only they said then we have a match v Poole . I would say your going to get  plenty of chances to line Terry Russell and co's pockets .