British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your favourites Swedish riders (1950s-1994)

16 hours ago, BL65 said:

Gote Nordin was one of the best riders in the world in the mid-1960s and a big favourite of mine.  I watched him cruise to two consecutive wins with sublime displays in the Internationale at Wimbledon in 1966 and 1967, each time against a field of world-class riders.  He also claimed second place in the event in 1965 and but for a fall he might have secured a top three finish in 1964.  In 1961 Nordin joined Ove Fundin and Bjorn Knutson on the rostrum to complete a Swedish 1-2-3 in the World Final.  Between 1964 and 1967 he had three seasons in Britain, averaging over 10 points per match for National League Wimbledon, then in the British League for Newport and Poole.

On the DVD we show previously unseen 8mm cine clips of Gote passing Olle Nygren on his way to victory in the 1966 Internationale. Admittedly, the footage is grainy but his bolt upright style (and Olle's white painted boots) are unmistakable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, arnieg said:

1 Anders Michanek

2 Per Jonsson

3 Jan Andersson

4 Tony Olsson

5 Pierre Brannefors

6 Bengt Jansson

... anyone spotting a theme here?

Yep, we have colour film of them all racing at Smallmead on the DVD.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyMac said:

On our DVD, we show previously unseen 8mm colour cine clips (taken from the Smallmead terraces) of Hasse riding for Oxford against Reading in 1975. He is wearing all-white leathers. He also features in the coverage of the 1973 International Tournament Final at Wembley.

....that sounds great! Unfortunately Hasse only put in three appearances for the "Rebels" that season...at home to Hull, at Swindon and the meeting that you mention which incidently the "Rebels" won being the first team to beat Reading at Smallmead albeit in a challenge!

Edited by steve roberts

Conny Samuelsson could have become the next big star when he joined the "Cheetahs" in 1969 however he just couldn't get on with the Cowley circuit but registerd useful points at Swindon, Coventry and I believe Cradley?. Shame that he wasn't perservered with because he could have made it in the UK with the right track but I guess it was his own decision that he never re-appeared  but he did go on to excell at Ice Racing finishing on the rostrum twice (?) and had a long shale career riding for his club team in Sweden.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Conny Samuelsson could have become the next big star when he joined the "Cheetahs" in 1969 however he just couldn't get on with the Cowley circuit but registerd useful points at Swindon, Coventry and I believe Cradley?. Shame that he wasn't perservered with because he could have made it in the UK with the right track but I guess it was his own decision that he never re-appeared  but he did go on to excell at Ice Racing finishing on the rostrum twice (?) and had a long shale career riding for his club team in Sweden.

A mere 36 seasons for Vetlanda! [1964-1999]

Quite an achievement

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, arnieg said:

A mere 36 seasons for Vetlanda! [1964-1999]

Quite an achievement

Some sort of record I would think?

Ove Fundin, Bjorn Knutsson, Bengt Jansson, Olle Nygren, Anders Michanek, in that order .

10 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Ove Fundin, Bjorn Knutsson, Bengt Jansson, Olle Nygren, Anders Michanek, in that order .

I have to say that Anders was the Swede I most admired (although he rode for the "Berks" down the road!)...1973 he was just awesome. Nobody really has come close within Sweden in my estimation for sheer magnetism during my time following the sport although Tommy Jansson had class but to be honest I saw very little of him (clash of race nights with Oxford) but my abiding memory of him was two classic races with Gordon Kennett at White City's opening meeting in 1976 when Gordon had to pass him on both occasions.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 6:41 PM, BOBBATH said:

But why them?

On 3/16/2023 at 7:06 AM, steve roberts said:

Think he beat, or equalled, the track record at Brandon

5 minutes ago, midlandred said:

That rings a bell?

I remember my brother saying that when he went to the local fair where we lived there was a shooting gallery and Conny was a dead shot with the rifle! Apparently he had just completed his National Service.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, midlandred said:

June 14, 1969, KO Cup 2nd Round. Riding at No. 1, he won Heat 5 in a new Track Record of 65.6 from Gote Nordin, Les Owen, and Eddie Reeves. Booey equalled it in Heat 7.

• Like 4

Fundin, Knutson, Nygren, Soren Karlsson for me.

20 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Fundin, Knutson, Nygren, Soren Karlsson for me.

...I have to say that Soren Karlsson is an intriging one? Turned out for the "Bees" I remember before signing for Swindon? Remember Bob Kilby saying that on a non-riding visit to Birmingham when he shared a car with Soren that Soren was off his head drinking sherry!

• Like 1