British Speedway Forum
Yearbyred

Redcar v Newcastle Select 24/3

Looks like this one will beat the weather so some speedway finally.

A chance for a run out before the competitive action starts for the new look Bears team - 4 home debutants and will be interesting to see how they go.

Good, strong Diamonds line up and nice to see that they are all ex Newcastle riders and not just a group of riders wearing the Diamonds colours. Hopefully a few Diamonds fans will make the trip down to make it a worthwhile meeting to stage.

Hopefully a good safe meeting for all involved. 

• Like 2

Should be a tough challenge for the Bears, hope we will just have the edge but should be a good meeting.

Come on Newcastle! 

be nice to see us ride if its only for one night, why couldnt we have had this team when we were running! 

22 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

Come on Newcastle! 

be nice to see us ride if its only for one night, why couldnt we have had this team when we were running! 

Well it’s over the points limit apparently so that would be one reason.

1 hour ago, Yearbyred said:

Well it’s over the points limit apparently so that would be one reason.

Possibly over budget too? ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HectorRacing said:

Come on Newcastle! 

Because the riders already had other clubs?

Decent enough meeting to start the season.

Amazingly the track was pretty slick and dusty even after the poor recent weather so only a few good races.

Bears top 3 looked good but the new lads found it tough going early on but will be better for the run out. Jake Mulford was really poor out of the gate all night but had plenty of speed but needed a more productive outside line to get on the scoresheet.

A fair few Diamonds fans in attendance and a solid team effort from all their lads.

Agree with Yearby - slick track meant close racing but not necessarily a lot of passing. 

Great challenge for Bears though and top 3 were excellent. Thought Bailey did well and Hume certainly showed promise. Never seen anyone work as hard for no points as Mulford. Think when the track has an outside line will see the best of him and Hume. 

I haven't been to a speedway meeting since Newcastle closed, and thoroughly enjoyed this evening.

Big thanks to the Redcar promotion for putting on the fixture, and assembling such a decent Newcastle team.

The track came to the riders and in the second half of the meeting we saw some good racing. Also, the meeting was done in 80 minutes, which was great and a credit to all concerned. 

I haven't read a copy of the SStar since last summer either, so don't know how the Bears team compares with other sides in the Championship but you certainly have a top class trio of heat leaders: I wish the team every success and will certainly be back.

It might take quite a lot to restore my faith in speedway but this evening was a very good start.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

I haven't been to a speedway meeting since Newcastle closed, and thoroughly enjoyed this evening.

Big thanks to the Redcar promotion for putting on the fixture, and assembling such a decent Newcastle team.

The track came to the riders and in the second half of the meeting we saw some good racing. Also, the meeting was done in 80 minutes, which was great and a credit to all concerned. 

I haven't read a copy of the SStar since last summer either, so don't know how the Bears team compares with other sides in the Championship but you certainly have a top class trio of heat leaders: I wish the team every success and will certainly be back.

It might take quite a lot to restore my faith in speedway but this evening was a very good start.

Think Redcar's team this year is one of the better in the league, 3 brilliant heat leaders, 2 solid second strings and no matter who at reserve good, young lads at reserve... Think they're in with a shout of silverware this year and I want to thank the club for allowing the Diamonds to race once again, even if it was only for the one meeting. :t:It's my closest track so I'm sure I'll be back across the a66 a few more times this year.

Can't wait to see Jake Mulford grow over the season, I can see him having a big year both for Belle Vue and Redcar, he's certainly got something about him, especially at 18.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Never seen a poor meeting in the last two years at Redcar. Nice stadium - a competitive side with a track condusive to good racing.

Edited by Robinh88

Good to see you g Connor improve as meeting went on, feel he'll make big strides this year away from comfort of ashfield. Danyon will come good the lads a bit of class about him. Probably as strong second strings and reserves as there is in the league last night, goes to show Redcar won't need much from their bottom 4 to win matches. Very good side 

I  agree with Boz (unsurprisingly). Once the track settles and the outside line is there Jake will be one of the best 2 pointers in the league. No disgrace in failing to score against more established riders. Danyon and Connor both showed signs as the meeting progressed. Jason was a bit 'rusty' but it was good to see both him and Connor take a spin after the meeting closed. Heat leader trio is the best since 1981 and I reckon barring injury Erik will be a top man. 

The future's bright, the future's Bear shaped (but I ain't saying we'll win anything, hoping yes  but this is going to be a team worth watching - just wish we had some kind of home track advantage!)

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed my trip down to Redcar last night against a good Diamonds team. If we had had something like that team in the last couple of years we would still be running, instead of being butchered.

Thanks go the Redcar promotion for the agreement to hold this meeting, which benefited both clubs supporters.

Thanks to all the ex Diamonds sponsors and the Diamond fans for sponsoring the meeting and making it possible. It was great to see the number of Diamond supporters in attendance and I hope that will be a sign for the future. We all need our fill of Speedway so why not support Redcar who has so many Newcastle connections. 

Amazed at the condition of the track especially after its condition on Sunday. It held up well, obviously slick but it did mean that practically all races had 4 riders together instead of being strung out. It wasn't ripe for passing, but there was the usual burst around the boards coming out of the second bend still and a few tried it. Pity about Danny K's fall after taking it on but pleased he was OK. 

On my way down I went through heavy rain the other side of Hartlepool, but that's where it stayed, except for a few drops later on in the meeting.

Nice to be involved with the Junior match again, with some decent performances in the Cubs 8 point win.

I think the Bears will do well this year, with 3 top heatleaders, and some gutsy second strings and reserves. Not a good night night for Jake M, as he couldn't get out of the gate, but when he does watch out for a fresh new talent to emerge. He is very fast, only 18, and I had the pleasure of watching in the Colts team all last year. He's going to be a great reserve, the same as you had last year with Jenkins.

So yes, I am now a Redcar supporter now. They have done wonders to get where they are and it will continue I am sure.  

• Like 5

So yes, I am now a Redcar supporter now

are you going to support the Boro too, you know you want to

• Haha 1