British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Oh dear!

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

This is not supposed to be a trick question. Just out of interest

Using the criteria that makes you think the 7 April 1928 meeting was the first in the UK. Would you say there is a meeting before or after 1923 that fits the same criteria ?

Yes. By 1928, Australia had a whole network of speedway tracks with a number of different promoters presenting what we would know as speedway. Vic Huxley, for example, was known as "Broadside" Vic Huxley from about 1926 onwards. And I think it was you who actually posted an article from a newspaper dated November 1923 (a month before Johnnie Hoskins' much- vaunted West Maitland meeting) describing the correct way to slide round a corner. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, norbold said:

Yes. By 1928, Australia had a whole network of speedway tracks with a number of different promoters presenting what we would know as speedway. Vic Huxley, for example, was known as "Broadside" Vic Huxley from about 1926 onwards. And I think it was you who actually posted an article from a newspaper dated November 1923 (a month before Johnnie Hoskins' much- vaunted West Maitland meeting) describing the correct way to slide round a corner. 

Yes. From memory the Australian paper was also dexcribing it as something like the US slide ? So presumably an imported style

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Yes. From memory the Australian paper was also dexcribing it as something like the US slide ? So presumably an imported style

Yes, there are descriptions of sliding round small track from before the First World War in the USA.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, norbold said:

April 7th was the first time a track in this country had a loose surface and bikes weren't fitted with brakes. It was therefore the first time that broadsiding was seen - demonstrated most effectively by Colin Watson, Alf Medcalf and Digger Pugh. The 19 Feb meeting had a hard rolled surface and all bikes were fitted with rear brakes under ACU rules. No broadsiding took place even by the two experienced Aussies (Keith McKay and Billy Galloway) who were there. 

The top Australian promoter. A.J. Hunting, arrived towards the end of the 19 Feb meeting and took the promoter, Jack Hill-Bailey, to one side and told him that he "had it all wrong." He then took a hand in preparing the track properly for the 7 April meeting while also lobbying the ACU to remove their rule insisting on rear brakes.

I see...

That's weird, though. I remember seeing a bunch of posts on here about 17th April, 1946 - at New Cross; all saying something about a "first-ever meeting"... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I asked ChatGPT where the first speedway meeting in the UK was and it said:

The first speedway meeting in Great Britain was held on February 19, 1928, at the New Cross Stadium in London

I blame norbold

• Haha 2

On 3/30/2023 at 4:14 PM, norbold said:

Yes, there are descriptions of sliding round small track from before the First World War in the USA.

Just came across a post about Wentworth speedway in Australia. Talking about the history of the track and hosting cars and bikes. Mention of Bluey Wilkinson and Lionel van Praag racing there. Some scoundrel has only posted in the comments, 'Bikes first started at Maitland ' !!! :D

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 1